On bike charging of Cardo Packtalk Slim

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDC

Reaction score
I'm using a Cardo Packtalk Slim and had a question about "On Bike Charging".

Can you, should you???

I've got an '18ES. Can I plug the headset into the charging port in the glovebox and charge the unit overnight? Or, leave it plugged in for several days at a time?

Will the bike's battery be able to handle that? Can you "Over Charge" the Cardo unit?

It would sure be easier to leave the helmet hanging on the bike and just plug it in there then bringing it in the house and plugging it into a USB charger.

Thanks all!

The glovebox only has power when the engine is running.

I doubt very much you could overcharge it. When it's charged, the charging led light goes out.

The glovebox only has power when the engine is running.
I doubt very much you could overcharge it. When it's charged, the charging led light goes out.
Good to know, thanks John.

I guess my next option would be wiring a USB charge port into my FuzeBlock.

Knowing the unit should stop pulling power when it hits 100%, and being the battery is small in the Cardo unit, I would assume I should be fine leaving it charge on the bike for days at a time.

You should be OK to charge the PackTalk off of the bike without draining the battery; however, many USB charging ports have a parasitic draw. If it is hot when the key is off, there is the potential for battery drain after extended periods without riding the bike.

I carry a little battery pack with me that I use to charge my devices at night. I charge the battery pack off of the bike during the day while riding.

You should be OK to charge the PackTalk off of the bike without draining the battery; however, many USB charging ports have a parasitic draw. If it is hot when the key is off, there is the potential for battery drain after extended periods without riding the bike.
I carry a little battery pack with me that I use to charge my devices at night. I charge the battery pack off of the bike during the day while riding.
And when your Buddy leaves his key on you can Jump his bike and get him going. DAMHIK

Deleted-

Misunderstood the OP's intent

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe you will find the port in the glovebox is fused @ 1/2 Amp.

Is that adequate for what you are planning on doing?

I believe you will find the port in the glovebox is fused @ 1/2 Amp.
Is that adequate for what you are planning on doing?
Fused at 3 amps, the handbook says maximum 2.5 amps.

First off, are you sure the Packtalk needs to charge after one day's riding? My POS Sena 20S will last for 10-11 hours streaming podcasts or chatting on the phone before needing a charge.

Like draco_1967, I carry a little power bank in my jacket pocket and -- if necessary -- plug in while I'm riding. Happens frequently when riding long and far. (Charging wire goes from jacket pocket to Sena still mounted on the helmet and in use.)

And why can't you plug it into the wall at night to charge it?

Yes you can charge it on the bike. One of those things won't bother your electrical system at all. Probably almost immeasurable.

As said, the port is off when the bike is off. I personally would not charge from the bike at night even if I could. My luck in life would see to it that this may work until I was in central Mexico where it would fail horribly and I'd end up missing.

Get a small 120 volt USB charger from Amazon (anker brand is good) and charge at the hotel. Or from battery bank that you charge while riding as HUD said.

These are good options and have worked well for me.

I use this setup. The tail comes with a battery tender charger but is available separately this is always live and takes no more than 4 hrs to charge from completely dead. You can also charge while riding if you choose directly from Cardo

"CHARGE WHILE YOU RIDE

Forgot to charge your unit? Running out of battery? Just plug your unit to a battery pack or your 12V charger and turn your unit on. It will charge while you ride."

https://products.batterytender.com/Accessories/USB-Charger-QDC.html

https://products.batterytender.com/Accessories/Ring-Terminal-Harness.html
081-0069-6-Fused-Ring-Terminals-clean.jpg

081-0158-USB-Charger-open-2017-new.jpg

I've used the USB adapter and recommend it. Concerning the current needed for charging,, I don't have a Cardo unit, but a Sena 20S draws about .2 A (200 mA) when it's first plugged in (probably battery in-rush or the battery is very "thirsty" to begin with and demand drops as the battery charges). At the moment it's drawing about 80-100 mA. That is, don't sweat the draw.

I recharge the 20S at the of a day's riding. I did the same with the SMH-10 preceding it. Eventually, after a couple of years, the battery stopped holding a charge. Meh. I found a replacement battery on eBay (shipped from China) opened the SMH-10, replaced the battery, closed up, and life was good until I decided I just had to have the 20S. I still use the SMH-10 for testing friends' Sena units.

Altogether, call it a no-worry issue.

PS At this point draw is now varying between 20-50 mA.

First off, are you sure the Packtalk needs to charge after one day's riding? My POS Sena 20S will last for 10-11 hours streaming podcasts or chatting on the phone before needing a charge.
Like draco_1967, I carry a little power bank in my jacket pocket and -- if necessary -- plug in while I'm riding. Happens frequently when riding long and far. (Charging wire goes from jacket pocket to Sena still mounted on the helmet and in use.)

And why can't you plug it into the wall at night to charge it?
That's purdie good, my POS SENA 30K only lasts 'bout 6-8 hrs when talk'in.

To OP; I keep a portable charger in the top pocket of my Aerostitch, 'n sometimes ride w/ it plugged in. Sumpin like this - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Thin-20000mAh-Portable-External-Battery-Charger-Power-Bank-for-Cell-Phone/351755095213?hash=item51e63cccad:m:m-2RS3CcxzkZNLBzQbUY-Dg:rk:6:pf:0

AFAIK the 30K is generally not well regarded except for the net capability (fine you're running with a pack of stunters, who don't wear helmets anyway) and maybe a couple of other items. Put the 30K feature list against the 20S EVO list - 30K does not do well.

This review, with the text/speech tool. left me laughing like a fool. NTL it does, I think, sum up the 30K's problems. (There's also a review by TwoWheeledObsession but he takes what can be said in five minutes and draws it out to ten minutes.)

That's purdie good, my POS SENA 30K only lasts 'bout 6-8 hrs when talk'in.To OP; I keep a portable charger in the top pocket of my Aerostitch, 'n sometimes ride w/ it plugged in. Sumpin like this - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Thin-20000mAh-Portable-External-Battery-Charger-Power-Bank-for-Cell-Phone/351755095213?hash=item51e63cccad:m:m-2RS3CcxzkZNLBzQbUY-Dg:rk:6:pf:0
I used a pair of these while doing non-stop video on a trip. I left the camera screen on (bad idea) as well as running the camera-phone app to let me check, on the fly, aiming and look for bug splats. They're both current suckers, as are cameras in general. I used two 50K mAh packs, swapping them at lunch stops. The 20S was running full time with music. I recharged that and the packs at night. It takes longer than the 20S needs to recharge a 50K mAh pack. No problems found. :)
For the "bigger is better" crowd, there are 100K mAh packs. Both packs' cost a bit over $15 - $20 from US addresses. Chinese sellers' prices are lower and delivery takes about a month. They all come from the same place. Choose accordingly. As long as the pack has USB ports, it'll work with USB-Mini, USB-Micro, and USB-C cables. Some have LED charge lights, some have LCD% discharge displays. It's all the same; pick the one that makes your day.

Thanks for all the great input. While I try to charge away from the bike when I can, sometimes charging on the bike is more convient. I think I'll try installing a USB, always hot plug. That will give me the option of charging on the bike when necessary. I could also charge and ride if needed. Thanks again. This forum is great!

Latest posts