I'm back!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotlings8

Reaction score
So, after having a 2009 FJR for 50k miles, I fell in love with the BMW K1600GT. Long story, and 5 water pumps later, I'm back to a new to me 2016 FJR ES. I'm doing a few upgrades, such as braided brake lines and exhaust, but I wanted to know if anyone has ever dealt with race tech for a suspension upgrade? The ES is better than my 09 ever was, but still not nearly as capable as my K1600 was. I hear race tech does wonderful things. Are there any other options out there for both front and rear setups?

Race Tech is wonderful. I need to have them do my FJR forks. I have a 98 SuperHawk that had stock front suspension that was horrible, the worst I ever had on a bike. Sent the forks to Race Tech for new springs and valves, and it transformed that bike. Best money I ever spent on a motorcycle. If you can't tell, yes, I totally endorse them.

Are you considering removing the ES electronically adjustable suspension in favor of a non-adjustable? (I didn't think an aftermarket shock was compatible with the ES system?)

Not quite sure how they are going to do it yet. If o have to get rid of the OEM shock for something better that is not adjustable, I will. I'm going to call them today to see what my options are.

Not quite sure how they are going to do it yet. If o have to get rid of the OEM shock for something better that is not adjustable, I will. I'm going to call them today to see what my options are.
If you take the ES shock off...I'll take it for $100.00
rolleyes.gif

As others have indicated, IIRC there hasn't been information posted yet for any aftermarket upgrades to ES suspenders. A couple years ago, GP Suspension was interested in getting their hands on an ES fork & shock to see what makes it tick and if upgrades were possible. Never heard if they autopsied the parts.

If the bike is undersprung for you, spring upgrades are available. Several Tenere ES owners have installed heavier shock springs from Race Tech so RT is at least familiar with ES equipment.

~G

If you are not satisfied with the stock ES suspension, before you spend a lot of $$'s on the bike why not sell it and buy a 2016A. You should be able to get some $$'s to boot Then you can send the parts off to RT and have them set it up to your liking? Seems like a reasonable solution.

I prefer the ES suspension and the cornering headlights over the A. I'm thinking of starting off with the correct springs for my weight and see how it does from there.

RaceTech is an excellent company. They did the forks on my 09 and I have been extremely happy. Traxxion is an excellent company too. Spendy, but loved the Ak-20s when I had them installed in my 04 FJR's forks. Not really sure they can do anything with the ES suspension. Time for you to find out and let the rest of us know.

What don't you like about the ES suspension? I love it, myself.

IMHO the cornering lights are more gimmick than functional.

...IMHO the cornering lights are more gimmick than functional.
I thought that at first, until a main road closure forced me onto unknown winding country lanes in pitch darkness. They enabled me to maintain a reasonable speed, certainly higher than without their help.

The suspension is just too soft for my liking. I have the preload to two up, with baggage and set to 3 hard and it still seems too soft. Like I said, I think it's just undersprung for me. I will start there and see how it goes.

Not really. 6'3 200 lbs. But, compared to the European bikes I've come off of, this is sprung very soft. So I guess it's just what your used to. I dont like the excessive brake dive coming hot into corners.

Latest posts