My quest to replace the Quest.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hppants

Reaction score
My Shoei Quest is getting long in the tooth, nearing it's 5 year mark.

Who has the Shoei RF-1200?
Who has the Shoei RF-SR?

In either case, by any chance did you come from the Quest?

Outside of safety and fit features (and the Shoei works for me in both categories), my biggest wants are efficiency with the breath guard (anti-fogging) and MOST importantly, quietness, with a special emphasis on the seal between the shield and the helmet.

Anyone willing to share your experience?

I found the RF-1200 fit a little sportier than my RF-1100.

Sportier in that the RF-1200 is 'relieved' in the neck area in back,

which would better serve sport bike riding.

I ended up buying new RF-1100 crown and cheek pads,

and the helmet now fits like new.

Shoei RF-SR coming from Schuberth C3 Pro.

The breath guard and Pinlock combination are very effective. I ride all yr in the PNW, so I have some experience with rain, foggy helmets, etc.

All sealed up, this helment is quiet. When I added the Sena, the noise level doubled. Of course different riders and windshields will affect this observation. Opening the top vents creates less noise than opening the chin vent. With all three vents open, and the Sena, I dont find the noise annoying. The noise from the chin opening of the Schuberth was much worse. (To be clear, I mean the opening below your chin, not the Schuberth chin vent.)

Other observations;

The finger lip to open the visor is on the left side only, for me this is a pain.

Its also not really big enough for winter gloves, when the visor seals, its a tight fit.

The top vents have big holes, big enough for a bee to get sucked in a week after I had the helmet.

Some field mod was required -

iSxNqJ.jpg

After the Schuberth clip, the d-ring feels like a clumsy step backward. The padding on the chin strap is nice.

Hope this info helps you choose.

-Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot one more thing.

For me, my height, windshield setup etc, if you ride with the visor open at anything over about 20-25 mph, the visor creates a whistle.

A little head tilt and its gone. Pinlock in or out, its the same. Change the windshield height, and the whistle changes.

YMMV

-Steve

My Shoei Quest is getting long in the tooth, nearing it's 5 year mark.
Who has the Shoei RF-1200?

Who has the Shoei RF-SR?

In either case, by any chance did you come from the Quest?

Outside of safety and fit features (and the Shoei works for me in both categories), my biggest wants are efficiency with the breath guard (anti-fogging) and MOST importantly, quietness, with a special emphasis on the seal between the shield and the helmet.

Anyone willing to share your experience?
I've got a GT-Air that is similar to the Quest, but quieter and updated. You're more than welcome to try it. Size LG.

I went from the Quest to the Neotec.

Neotec was quieter on the FJR, haven't used the Quest on the GSA.

The Neotec is really quiet on the GSA - can ride comfortably without ear protection, though I don't.

Tried a Klim TK1200 at Alex's - If I were in the market, and I'm not this year, I might have to go this way.
Equal size Klim TK1200 weighed more than a pound less than my Neotec on Alex's postal scale.

I'd like to try a Neotec 2.

I went from the Quest to the Neotec.
Neotec was quieter on the FJR, haven't used the Quest on the GSA.

The Neotec is really quiet on the GSA - can ride comfortably without ear protection, though I don't.

Tried a Klim TK1200 at Alex's - If I were in the market, and I'm not this year, I might have to go this way.

Equal size Klim TK1200 weighed more than a pound less than my Neotec on Alex's postal scale.

I'd like to try a Neotec 2.
I also have a Neotec...last summer, on a Colorado road trip, I traded with my buddy his neotec 2 for a few miles....basically same helmet, but the 2 has the port for the Sena communicator. I use the old Sena 10 smh on my Neotec 1, which hangs on the outside of the helmet. I couldn't notice a difference in fit or quietness from my Neo 1.

Thanks to all for your input. If you haven't weighed in and would like to, please do.

For those with the Neotech, would you say it's quieter than the Quest or the GT-air? Is the extra weight noticeable?

Sapest - your detailed comments are especially appreciated. You are currently the only person I know with the RF-SR. It is marketed as more suitable for the upright rider than the RF-1200. This of course deals with the angle of the helmet screen relative to your head position, as well as the angle of the rear of the helmet relative to your riding position. What would you say to this?

This of course deals with the angle of the helmet screen relative to your head position, as well as the angle of the rear of the helmet relative to your riding position.

I am not sure how to answer this. Maybe this helps.

I wear glasses, and this helmet is tighter all around than the Schuberth, which I presumed had to do with the shell size, as Shoei has ?5? to Schuberths ?3? The visor clears my glasses no problem, but the top of the visor opening is much closer to the top of my glasses.

I dont really know what to say about the rr angle, the back of the helmet never hits my jacket collar when riding. Rain drips were worse with the Schuberth, more rounded?

One thing about the general Shoei aerodynamics; when its raining, I often sit upright to get my helmet more fully into the wind and turn my head a bit to use the airflow to blow the rain off the visor. The Shoei shape is longer frt to rr, and if I catch a good wind gust, I will get a good push, something the ?rounder? Schuberth didnt do.

Not sure I have answered your concerns. . . . .

-Steve

Thanks to all for your input. If you haven't weighed in and would like to, please do.
For those with the Neotech, would you say it's quieter than the Quest or the GT-air? Is the extra weight noticeable?

Sapest - your detailed comments are especially appreciated. You are currently the only person I know with the RF-SR. It is marketed as more suitable for the upright rider than the RF-1200. This of course deals with the angle of the helmet screen relative to your head position, as well as the angle of the rear of the helmet relative to your riding position. What would you say to this?
My Neotech 1 is about like the Qwest as far as noise goes, but the GT-Air is quieter. The Neotec is a slightly larger helmet in size LG, so it feels heavier to me.

I'm also looking at the RF-SR to replace my Qwest in the not too distant future. The Shoei guy at the bike show said the RF-SR was the Qwest replacement. It fit well, for standing on the show floor. Speaker pockets didn't seem quite as deep as the Qwest.

Speaker pockets didn't seem quite as deep as the Qwest.

Sena speakers are a tight fit, and the pocket is not as deep as the Schuberth. Puts the speaker closer to your ear I suppose. I will guess all this is related to the shell sizing.

-Steve

The Sena/speaker shit doesn't matter to me. I must be the last Mohican in that realm, but I use the old fashioned Shure 215 wired ear buds.

Still researching, but right now I'm leaning toward the RF-1200. It has some great features on it that do not exist on the RF-SR.

BTW - the Revzilla reviews on helmets are fantastic. Dude does a wonderful job of showing you absolutely everything.

Pants, I do believe the GTAir is designed more for Sport Touring Riding position than the RF-1200, at least some Shoei Rep told me that at Daytona last March.

And, once you have had an internal sun visor you'll never own another helmet without one.

GTAir shown as Eye Glass Friendly htttps://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-gt-air-helmet?gclid=CjwKCAiAwJTjBRBhEiwA56V7qwJmjCtQoV7iYBjP6qr6X1SAlV4GQvm650p50rx0d7tUVbCKFx9HmRoCJp4QAvD_BwE

RF1200 not shown as Eye Glass Friendly https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-rf-1200-helmet-solid?gclid=CjwKCAiAwJTjBRBhEiwA56V7qzI-1DvPrqpHyBUUysV90aYUkNpsTmEOe9tBIS2yfpC7PA1y7PhuBRoCiU8QAvD_BwE

John - I've heard your concern before and the GT-air deserves a harder look. The flip down sun shade is attractive, but as you elude, I wear glasses and that has to be considered. Also, I'm told that the shield port is slightly smaller on the RF-1200 than the RF-SR or the GT-Air. I'm not looking to reduce visibility, but the noise gasket for the shield on the RF-1200 is amazing. That helmet HAS to be very quiet.

It's my understanding that the GT-Air 2 is set to release soon (only weeks away, I'm told), which may necessitate a pause to examine these new features, and if they are not worth the surely additional cost, then pickup a GT-air (1) left over for a steal.

At this point, I know enough to be dangerous. It's time to visit my local Cycle Gear, where the manager there is absolutely excellent. He's a seasoned rider and he knows all kinds of riding. And he knows his products inside and out. He'll match online prices and the truth is - if I walk into that store with my wallet to look at helmets, I'm going to walk out with a box in hand. As such, I'm procrastinating just a smidge....

Most of the noise experienced in a full face helmet comes from the underside of the helmet, around your neck, than from the seal on the face shield.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="SouthernCruizer" data-cid="1413476" data-time="1550241207"><p>

Most of the noise experienced in a full face helmet comes from the underside of the helmet, around your neck, than from the seal on the face shield.</p></blockquote>

This is very true. On all three of my helmets i can cut the noise significantly just by wearing my neck gaiter.

I agree, and without the neck gaiter, the chin curtain for the helmet works.

Has anybody seen anything official from anyone (or Shoei direct) that indicate when the GT-Air 2 is set to release for North America?