2007 fjr not starting.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isorg

Reaction score
old battery was not charging so replaced with new. New batt has a full charge, but when i go to start bike.

any guidance on what i am dealing with?

Sounds like the starter is spinning but isn't engaging the motor?? Hard to tell with the background noise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the fuel pump. When you first key on and when you push start switch the fuel pump runs. So the starter is doing nothing. Do you here starter relay click when you push start switch? I would check to see if the relay is working.

##UPDATE!!!##

the bike was throwing error codes 12 and 19.

12 is crankshaft sensor, and the ECU wont turn the starter with that error.

19 is an air flow sensor or something like that.

doing internet research, i found this video.

it's not a FJR, but a yamaha 4 wheeler showing same error code 12..

Think i have a starter relay going bad.

Pulled fuse on starter relay, good

I jumped/bypassed the starer relay using the screwdriver across the terminal trick. and the bike turned over and fired right up.

killed bike using the key, and when turned back on, error 12/19 were still there.

Put bike in Diag mode, and cleared #62.

Error codes are gone, and bike was not showing codes, but was not turning the starting motor either when pressing the start button.

Jumped starter relay one more time. Bike fired right up.

killed motor using switch, turned switch on, hit starter button nothing. scratched my head... hit starter button again, heard click, slight delay and bike started!

have now started and stopped a few times using only the button, there has been no delay using button outside of that first delay.

Last edited by a moderator:
May have been just some dirty contacts but relays don't typically heal themselves - at least not in any permanent fashion. Get one ordered and in the meantime, make sure you carry some means of bypassing the relay. Glad it isn't something more serious.

While you are at it, make sure that the starter button and the kill switch contacts are clean.

The code 19 is most probably the ignition switch. Did you have the recall done? I went through two switches over 130K miles. Both had code 19 when they went south.

The code 19 is most probably the ignition switch. Did you have the recall done? I went through two switches over 130K miles. Both had code 19 when they went south.
Good point! If the recall wasn't done, make sure you do it. Next time it doesn't go, try wiggling the key in the ignition.

(Not sure why a bad ignition switch throws a code 19?)

Agreed. Code 19 is likely dirty contacts in key switch. It happened to me also and I fixed by cleaning and greasing contacts in key switch.

Code 19/dirty contacts will disable injectors not starter so it WILL crank but not run.

Dirty contacts in starter relay will give you intermittent crank. So you may have 2 intermittent issues going on.

R&R the relay and clear the codes and see what happens. If 19 comes back you'll end up cleaning or replacing key switch.