Two Yuasa Batteries - Are they the same (YT14B-BS and GT1-4B400-00-00)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rider_FJR

Reaction score
The GT1-4B-00-00 is a part number. The battery is the GT14B4 GS.

I believe that it is equivalent to the YT14B-BS but made by GS Yuasa in Japan or elsewhere. Although related, it is a different corporate umbrella. The USA Yuasa sells the YT14B-BS and it is sold "dry" - you add the acid. I cannot tell you whether the quality is equivalent or not but the YT14B-BS works perfectly in the FJR. I didn't even know you could get the GS in North America.

Last edited by a moderator:
The GT1-4B-00-00 is a part number. The battery is the GT14B4 GS.
I believe that it is equivalent to the YT14B-BS but made by GS Yuasa in Japan or elsewhere. Although related, it is a different corporate umbrella. The USA Yuasa sells the YT14B-BS and it is sold "dry" - you add the acid. I cannot tell you whether the quality is equivalent or not but the YT14B-BS works perfectly in the FJR. I didn't even know you could get the GS in North America.
Thanks for the reply.

So, that would mean that the two links which I have provided are the same batteries. So, there is no difference or benefit paying more. As long as it's a YT14B-BS, I'm good to go.

Equivalent batteries but, perhaps not "the same". If one is made in USA and the other in Japan in a different factory, they may not be identical. The YT14B-BS will work - it is the one I used to replace the OEM in my 2007 after 165,000 miles and 10 years. The replacement was only in the bike for a year or so before I sold it.

Equivalent batteries but, perhaps not "the same". If one is made in USA and the other in Japan in a different factory, they may not be identical. The YT14B-BS will work - it is the one I used to replace the OEM in my 2007 after 165,000 miles and 10 years. The replacement was only in the bike for a year or so before I sold it.
So, this would mean, it best to get this battery, so it's the same as original manufacture, which is what FJR comes with when purchased new.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/GT1-4B400-00-00?ref=2321232eb32ee7f51d3fce0f60b767f99c34e4ef

So, this would mean, it best to get this battery, so it's the same as original manufacture, which is what FJR comes with when purchased new.https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/GT1-4B400-00-00?ref=2321232eb32ee7f51d3fce0f60b767f99c34e4ef
You pays your money and takes your chances. Personally, I wouldn't pay a lot more for one vs the other without specific evidence that one was better. There are cheaper options out there from a variety of manufacturers. People have reported varying degrees of satisfaction with some of these. I still have the OEM in my (recently purchased) 2011 and it is still OK. Don't know if the previous owner treated it as well as I do or not but it doesn't seem as strong as the one was in my previous bike. When I replace it, I will see what is available (and at what price) but will probably end out with the YT14B-BS. (Unless I am on the road somewhere and then I may end out with whatever I can get.) I generally carry a compact lithium ion jump starter in case of surprises!

So, this would mean, it best to get this battery, so it's the same as original manufacture, which is what FJR comes with when purchased new.https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/GT1-4B400-00-00?ref=2321232eb32ee7f51d3fce0f60b767f99c34e4ef
You pays your money and takes your chances. Personally, I wouldn't pay a lot more for one vs the other without specific evidence that one was better. There are cheaper options out there from a variety of manufacturers. People have reported varying degrees of satisfaction with some of these. I still have the OEM in my (recently purchased) 2011 and it is still OK. Don't know if the previous owner treated it as well as I do or not but it doesn't seem as strong as the one was in my previous bike. When I replace it, I will see what is available (and at what price) but will probably end out with the YT14B-BS. (Unless I am on the road somewhere and then I may end out with whatever I can get.) I generally carry a compact lithium ion jump starter in case of surprises!
Tell me more about this: I generally carry a compact lithium ion jump starter in case of surprises!

What unit do you own?

You have to be careful about some of these. In a lot of cases, you do a lookup (Amazon or eBay especially) and they use the Yuasa name but are actually selling a generic equivalent. I just looked at the Partzilla link provided by the OP and noticed that it says that the manufacturer is Yamaha - no reference to Yuasa anywhere on the page and no CCA (cold cranking amps) or ampere-hour (capacity) specification. (Not sure if it is a "Yuasa equivalent" or genuine.) I am pretty sure that Yamaha doesn't make batteries (or oil, lubricants, sealants, etc.).

CCA is a "bragging rights" specification that a lot of manufacturers lie about! I wouldn't count on it to compare one manufacturer to another but should be reasonable to compare two similar products of a single manufacturer.

Tell me more about this: I generally carry a compact lithium ion jump starter in case of surprises!
What unit do you own?
There are a million of them out there ranging from very cheap to very expensive. I have a Winplus jump starter. I have used it on my car a few times but haven't needed it for the bike yet. Seems to work OK. Think it came from Costco. Picture is deceptive. Actual size is about 1" x 3" x 5.5"

jumpstartwebpage.png

Last edited by a moderator: