First Ride on FJR in 2019

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fontanaman

Robin Trower
Reaction score
Finally got out on the FJR for the first time in October 2018. Yea! The idea for this ride was to ride to St. Maries Ranger station to get some Forest Service Motor Vehicle Use Maps for the price of free. The maps identify those roads, trails, and areas designated for motor vehicle use. Perfect for planing rides on the DR650.

I head east on I-90 out of Spokane. Near 4th of July pass things look a bit sketchy with water on the road from melting snow in shaded areas. There is ice and frost on the side of the road. Fortunately the temps were high enough, about 42, to keep the sticky side down.

I get off I-90 about six miles east of 4th of July pass and take Idaho Hwy 3 south. This is the White Pines Scenic Hwy and it a nice two lane road with plenty of scenery and twisty fun.

Frozen lake. There were several of these.

6nretId.jpg

X8gowQi.jpg

SpTLYR5.jpg

I have 98500 miles on my 09 FJR. Still runs like a top. It is utterly worthless now so I may as well ride it another 75,000 miles to enjoy the lack of depreciation.

m6yUjFy.jpg

tThlpnD.jpg

My booty of free maps and brochures. Nice.

sMDAhOe.jpg

Then back out on the road and head to the barn.

The snow provides scenery I don't see around here often and soon it will be gone. We have lost 13" of snow this week. It is a good time to ride.

6ybGjjc.jpg

f1BRefE.jpg

MhtVe9x.jpg

nJUAw3d.jpg

qHtBlOD.jpg

It was a great day for ride and I plan on going out again soon.

Beautiful pics! Watch out for ice (water) on the curves. I hope to get out soon....

I got my first ride in January but had to trailer to Nevada to do it.
smile.png
The paved roads here are pretty good but I still have a 3/4 mile long ice field between me and pavement.
uhoh.gif

I also got out today for my first ride of 2019. No pictures and was out for less than an hour (50 miles or so). Still, it is great to be back on the road.

Still too salty here for the FJR.

Canadian FJR
A bit salty and quite sandy here. Still nice to get out. Hosed the crap off the bike and wiped it dry when I got back.(Yours is still too new to abuse - there are advantages to buying a slightly pre-blemished older bike)

It is always a pleasure to see your photos. When you head E. on 90 just over the Idaho border is a rest area with a visitor center and tons of free state maps. I always replenish when in the area, I still prefer paper and HI-Liters. Although free, they do take donations. I frequently find myself donating spares to other travelers (usually from N. of the border eh).

Nice pics. My 2 km, 1.2 mile ride to the relative safety of pavement is still way way too sketchy to attempt on the FJR. Hopefully we get a few more warm days and the snowbanks melt down enough for the road to drain and try out a bit and we'll be out there. Starting to plan the pre-season maintenance while it's still too wet/icy to ride so I'm ready when the opportunity arises.

I couldnt let Ross get ahead of me. Just got back from a short ride with the new car tire.

Nice to get out on the blue beast after a long winter.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be interested to see if you like the CT. I have gone darkside a couple of times; don't think I will do it again.