Raise the FJR tail - How to?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad German

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I cant seem to find the site that sold suspension linkage kits to raise the rear of the FJR. The kit came with new dog bones and the link bracket (for lack of a better term) to raise the rear of the FJR.

I see lots of kits to lower the rear, but none to raise the rear. I thought it was Hyperpro, but I didnt see that kit on their site. Any ideas?

Id like to get an adjustable shock, but thats going to have to wait a bit.

Any help will be appreciated.

If you go on ebay and search FJR1300 dog bones you'll find what you are looking for. Most of listings are for lowerinf but they do have Jack up bones.

I have adjustable ones but I needed to lower mine. I also got an adjustable kickstand so the bick would lean at the right angle.

They have been on my '08 for the last 50,000 miles. No problems.

Thanks guys. I knew you'd come through for me. I may not be the most active member here (job and family commitments keep me from riding and posting) but I always appreciate the ultra deep knowledge pool here.

Since this is a rare occurrence and I've never heard it come up before, I have to ask. What is causing the need to raise the rear end?

Are you experiencing a lack of ground clearance while cornering? If you're a heavier fellow, I assume you've installed the proper weight springs and had your 11 year old shock freshened up. Those would be my first steps I would take before steepening up my steering head angle possibly causing twitchy steering.

The next thing I would look at when I'm experiencing ground clearance issues is my cornering body position. I find that just solidly turning my head into the corner, pointing my nose & looking where I'm going, opening up my shoulders and dropping my inside relaxed elbow just a bit will save me another degree or two of lean angle compared to just sitting upright on the bike.

Now if you already have the knowledge, skills and ride like Rossi, disregard my amateur assistance and jack that ass end up. I just think the FJR has more lean angle capability than many of us are able to use safely on the street provided we don't sit on it like a sack of potatoes.

_MG_9980-M.jpg

You can see the long shadow in this picture as it was taken during the first session early in the morning before I got comfortable riding the big FJR on the track. Its a good learning tool since I was attempting to hang an ass cheek off the bike to conserve lean angle which isn't a bad thing but look at my upper body. My upper body is crossed up. My head, nose and eyes are going the right direction but my shoulders are not slightly turned into the corner. You can see the tension in my crossed up upper body just by looking at my elbow and shoulder position. After getting relaxed and loosened up, I was able to correct those problems and let the bike work underneath me. I wish I could've had this same picture after lunch to confirm what I was feeling after making some corrections.

By the way, on track advanced riders schools are a learning blast. This was one of the best days of my life although I was forced to ride my FJR after loaning my Ducati 999 Superbike to my son after he sold his R6 the week before our advanced rider school. It turned out being one of the best things that could've happened as it forced me to learn so much about the FJR's capability that day.

My two sons and I.

IMG_1701-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you raise the back end and not the front that will increase your turn in. Be ready for that. Also, you might just try putting a 190 tire on the back. That is easier than changing dog bones.
My thoughts exactly. I have been running a 190/55 rear tire for years. I not only raises the rear it improves turn-in and makes it much easier to get on the center stand. Final benefit, it will put our speedo dead on accurate.

Speedometer? What's that for?

If you raise the back end and not the front that will increase your turn in. Be ready for that. Also, you might just try putting a 190 tire on the back. That is easier than changing dog bones.
My thoughts exactly. I have been running a 190/55 rear tire for years. I not only raises the rear it improves turn-in and makes it much easier to get on the center stand. Final benefit, it will put our speedo dead on accurate.

Intech posted: Speedometer? What's that for?
... and who cares about it being accurate?
coolsmiley02.gif

PS: Cool family portrait, Abercrombie!

Last edited by a moderator:
The 190/55 fits all Gens? I have a 2008. I'd love to run a 190/55. I ran these on my R1 and loved them.

The 190/55-17 rear can really increase the bike turn-in, but if you don't have an aftermarket shock and may be a few millimeters of ride height from that, the performance will be poor. A bigger tire needs more dampening and shock travel than a worn OEM shock can provide. In my case I also nearly doubled the front springs (Gen I), but even on your 2008 an increase in spring rate is needed, and it would not hurt to do a rebuild or at least a fork oil change.

The 190/55-17 rear can really increase the bike turn-in, but if you don't have an aftermarket shock and may be a few millimeters of ride height from that, the performance will be poor. A bigger tire needs more dampening and shock travel than a worn OEM shock can provide. In my case I also nearly doubled the front springs (Gen I), but even on your 2008 an increase in spring rate is needed, and it would not hurt to do a rebuild or at least a fork oil change.
Perhaps all this may be true if you are a very aggressive rider. I have had 190/55 rear tires on a 2007 and my current 2014. I consider myself an average aggressive rider and I have not noticed any negative handling effect from the 190's. Yes, turn in is a bit move aggressive but not of concern. For me the benefits far out weigh any negatives.

Perhaps all this may be true if you are a very aggressive rider. I have had 190/55 rear tires on a 2007 and my current 2014. I consider myself an average aggressive rider and I have not noticed any negative handling effect from the 190's. Yes, turn in is a bit move aggressive but not of concern. For me the benefits far out weigh any negatives.
I'm with you on that, Art. My '05 has an after-market shock (slightly longer than OEM) and the 190/55 tire...

No issues, no down-side that I'm aware of.

I put the 190 on mostly for its taller profile to compliment my re-geared Final Drive which I believe you also have (my BEST mod for sure!).

Regards,

Mr. BR

Thanks again guys. I was wondering if a 190/55 would fit, but didnt want to buy one only to find it didnt. Ill certainly have to give this a go next time Im due for tires.