The Hog Phenomenon

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

El Guapo Loco

The Harley Davidson phenomenon is... well, it is, and why is the subject of this thread.

Many things are to be considered. First is what I call momentum/consensus reality. Example: The Canadian border. All the way across a huge continent there is, quite literally, nothing. But people believe there is something there and that, on the other side of it, there is another country. That belief is the only reason there is a Canada, today (or a USA, if you're on the north side of it) - i.e. because there was a border yesterday and because people continue to believe there is one, today.

Then there is... the "bad boy" game. Little girls with weak minds and strong hormones swoon over a bad boy. They try soooo hard to change him, giving him all the (!) in the world in the process. Often I have considered writing a book entitled "enjoying stupidity."

Then there is... fantasy land, where being a 1%er biker is like being a rock star and the life that goes with it is one, giant and never-ending orgasm... The reality, of course, is a desperate, criminal and depraved existence where you are controlled by your gang and spend a lot, if not most of your life in prison. Kind of like a lottery ticket - promoting dreams of being rich while the reality is, you're out $2.

Then there is... status symbol land, where we prove we have $30,000 we can use to impress others. I don't know who... But the NEW Harley certainly is your ticket to places you can't go, without one, and the people you meet, in those places. Kind of like a rolling country club...

I could go on. But I started this thread to hear YOUR ideas, not to air mine!

Harleys... are they really motorcycles? If so they are, hands down, the sorriest of bikes. Does anyone remember AMF? Still, they survive, and continue. Why?

I don't know what you are 'taking' or 'are on' but in my personal opinion you should stop immediately.
uhoh.gif

you would like Robert Persig...Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance or even better Lila..some truth...lots of psychobabble..waaaay to much thinking...

Quite an amusing read.

More of this please, we always enjoy amusing musings around here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Words to live by:

to each his/her/its own;

live and let live;

ride and let ride.

How does what someone you don't know rides, or how he dresses, or what image he wants to project effect your life? Take food off your table? Siphon gas from your tank? Keep you from paying your rent? Your generalizations show your simple mindedness. In summary, you sound like a pompous ass. Synonym = poser.

It's called marketing. Harley has done a very good job of marketing a lifestyle and has sold a lot of expensive motorcycles and other merchandise because of that successful marketing. It is not for me, but it has worked very well for Harley until recently. Our culture has evolved away from the Harley lifestyle for the most part and Harley knows this, that's why they are trying electric motorcycles and other things that are a major change for them. Maybe they'll survive as a company, maybe not.

I don't know why the animosity, Those who say "live and let live", "ride and let ride", then don't want to let a guy "write or not write". SHEESH.

I personally think MOST of the HD phenomenon, comes from a combination of movies and personal history. Almost every individual I have quizzed about WHY they were so enamored of HD's, {and I almost always ask when people start a motorcycle conversation because I am so curious}, have an older relative or friend of the family that they admired who had a HD and they saw and heard and felt the respect {in some cases} and/or awe, or just plain "interest' that that person got from other men AND women.

I grew up NOT being aware of the HD phenomenon. Most all of my hero's rode Triumphs, and Nortons, and BSA's, and just after I started lusting after motorcycles the Honda 750 came out, then the Kaw. 500's and 750's, and then the magnificent Kaw. Z-1!!!

I knew a lot of people rode HD's but I didn't know HOW MANY.

On my first trip to Daytona, I was FLOORED, at the percentage of HD's compared to other bikes. {I now know that more HD's show up at those places but STILL}.

So, ever since then I have been curious why anyone would CHOOSE to ride such outdated technology.

The other question I have is why it's wrong on a motorcycle forum to ask the question.

I had a hardly guy steel the plastic coated map off of my XR650L once. Fooked up my whole day and didn't get to go where I had planned without a map. Fooker was on a new all black ultra glide also. Over 30K bike and the prick steels my map.

REALLY, WTF OVER.

So I am tainted somewhat. Just sayin.

Dave

Listen, I love my FJR. On my 3rd one. But Harley sales, while up and down, still crush the competition. People love them.

I'm not sold on the new Livewire platform, and I don't want a Harley myself, but the people I meet on a Harley seem to be very happy with their choice.

(I do like that line above about buying a bike at a clothing boutique.....that is solid and I'm probably going to have to use that the next time somebody says I sound like I pulled up on a sewing machine…...all in good fun and laughs!)

The line I get from my Harley friends is always the same: "When are you going to get a real bike?"

The line I get from my Harley friends is always the same: "When are you going to get a real bike?"

Ha! Yeah I got that one a lot from a friend of mine on his CVO Harley. Always trying to get me on a Harley...a real bike. He had so many problems with it he finally sold it and bought the Indian Roadmaster. Now when I see him I always ask him "when are you going to get a real bike?". He doesn't find it funny at all but I find it hilarious.

Very often, when folks that don't know me who learn I ride a MC, the response is "So you ride a Harley?"

Me: "I don't have facial hair, a beer belly or tattoos. I don't smoke or dress like an Oakland Raiders fan. Why do you assume I ride a Harley Davidson?"

Them: "You're an old white guy."

Me: "Oh."

Last edited by a moderator: