Bridgestone T31 GT or T31 non-GT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruinFJRguy

Reaction score
Que NEPRT:

Alright, I'm buying these T31s today.

Should I go GT or non-GT?? I'm inclined to go GT. But I did find the PR4GT to be very stiff.

I'm 180 out of shower, ride one-up, sometimes with loaded panniers and a 70L dry duffel full of camping stuff (like once a year).

I'm expecting the performance to be about the same, ride a little "harsher" with the GT, and mileage about the same.

Any reason to think the rear will last longer if I go GT? Would it make any sense to do a GT rear and a non-GT front?

I'm sure I'm over-thinking this, and probably have answered my own question above. Can anyone make a compelling argument for one over the other?

Thanks!

If only one tire is a T31 is that still enough not to get this moved??
blush2.gif

Not arguing for one over the other but just a data point: I've currently mounted a T31 front with a PR4 rear. Immediately before that a T30 GT (T31s weren't out yet) with a PR4 GT. I switched to the non-GTs partly as an experiment as I started thinking the GTs felt a little hard during the second half of their life. I like the feel of the non-GTs better but acknowledge that 1) I was comparing new rubber to old, and 2) I might have mentally predetermined that the non-GTs must be more compliant. That said first set taken off at about 12k miles and this set currently has just over 10k. As I have a new tires waiting in the loft I'm conscious of how these are now wearing and if the same harshness is becoming apparent. As of the last ride they're still looking and feeling fine, not giving me any reason to think about doing a change. (I'm also about 30lbs heavier than you but would describe my bike usage just as you have.)

I just put a set of T31 GT's on and love the feel but then again anything would feel better than the worn out tires that were on it. I can't comment on the non GT and I weigh roughly 30 lbs more than you. I have had a screw in a GT spec rear tire twice in the past though and it was still rideable (for short distances at a slow pace at least) with about 10 lbs of pressure in the tire if not less. That will at least allow you to get to a safe location to do a repair. If you haven't already purchased check out rockymountainatvmc.com. You can purchase a set of the GT's through them for about $230 and that is before the $60 rebate which ends at the end of this month.

I just put a set of T31 GT's on and love the feel but then again anything would feel better than the worn out tires that were on it. I can't comment on the non GT and I weigh roughly 30 lbs more than you. I have had a screw in a GT spec rear tire twice in the past though and it was still rideable (for short distances at a slow pace at least) with about 10 lbs of pressure in the tire if not less. That will at least allow you to get to a safe location to do a repair. If you haven't already purchased check out rockymountainatvmc.com. You can purchase a set of the GT's through them for about $230 and that is before the $60 rebate which ends at the end of this month.
Thanks.

Yes, new rubber always feels better. The added cushioning is much more comfortable too!

And, yes, I saw the RMATV deal. Chaparral is local, though, and matches prices if I call. So I'll probably get them there and still get the rebate. :) I actually think I might buy two sets, which is why I'm checking in advance to weigh the GT vs non (I have commitment issues).

180 lbs here also.

I run the Bridgestone GTs only.

I dont notice any undue harshness in the ride, and I have upgraded suspension.

Price was not an issue for me.

I do occasionally run 2up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the 'GT' label is for heavier bikes ... although I'll admit that a light gal on a heavy bike is about the same total weight as a meaty guy on a little bike.

I've always run GTs because, well, because the manufacturers recommend that. If my widow is ever going to collect from a tire manufacturer, I'd better be riding on the manufacturer's recommended tire.

I've always run the GT version of the 'stones. Currently have a 'stone/PR4 combo, both close to the wear bars and ready to recycle! Very even wear on the front and hardly any cupping. My all time favorites were 023-GTs but sadly they were "improved" with the T30 and now T31.

Haven't tried the T31s yet, but they're on the short list.

Good luck...and make sure to report back!

~G

Haven't put them on yet but my set of the GT arrived 2 days ago. Don't forget about the Bridgestone promo - $60 visa for a set of tires. With Rocky Mountain prices that ended up for me at $190 for a set of supposedly awesome tire delivered to my door. Less than just the rear of PR4GT.

Amen to that. An hour in the sun, lots o lube, and a ton of muscle. Having a few tire spoons handy does not hurt one bit.

But I second the face that they are great tires.

Love em.

Bought a set of each today.
smile.png

The GTs will go on the FJR right away. I'm looking at another smaller bike also (either a MT-09, Z900, or some other similar variant that also likely will take a 180/55/17 and 12/70/17), so I figure the non-GT could go on those.

$190 for a quality set of tires is pretty good IMO. If I don't get the smaller bike and love the GTs, I may swap the non-GTs for another set of GTs at Chaparral where I bought the tires, if possible (Chaparral always matches RMATVMC or any other vendor, if asked, so I bought there instead as they are local to me). If I can't swap for whatever reason, I'll run the non-GT set on the FJR also.
smile.png

I did 100 miles or so breaking in the T31 GT on Angeles Crest Highway and Angeles Forest Highway this morning (twisty roads). I'm very happy with my purchase and will probably score another set from Chaparral via the price-match to the RMATV price. These are pretty darn good tires at $190 a set, if you ask me!

I also have a set of non-GT in reserves because I've been planning on getting a lighter bike. I also considered using them on the FJR after the GTs are done, for comparison sake.

Based on my experience with the GT, I'll probably reload on them. I was worried the stiffer sidewall would be unpleasant for my riding style (I was not a huge fan of the PR4GT). Turns out my concerns were not justified. There is virtually no price difference; actually, the GT were a couple bucks cheaper.

Glad you're happy with them and with a pretty good price to boot. Post up when you're done using them up. As I said above I felt the harshness of the GT only towards the end of its life but that was also a PR4. Curious if you'll find the 5 different.

I put the T31GT on my K1600 and while the tire preformed well, I only got 3800 miles out of it. That is the least amount of miles I ever got out of a tire. I also put one on my RT and it wore out at 4600 miles.

It maybe a inexpensive tire but it won't last long.

Mileage is inversely proportional to throttle. Weight might come into play as well.

Generally, I get ~5K out of a Bridgestone GT rear. How much less than that I get, depends on how often I have been riding with Bugnatr.

Is the T31 very different from the T30 EVO? I liked the T30 reasonably well but found them to be a bit harsh and did not last especially well but not bad for the price. It will be interesting to see how the T31 stacks up. Seems we get tired of what's available and constantly waiting for the next great tire! I have tried many and haven't fallen in love with any.