Shoei Neotec 2 Sizing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
I bought a Shoei neotec 2 at a notable discount from Chromeburner. When I got it, I noted that it seemed a little looser than my other helmets, but I explained that away by deciding that the prominent neck roll was forcing the helmet forward a bit.

Over time, it became more and more clear that the helmet started a little loose and became looser with wear. I could bias it to the rear, but over a long riding day, it would migrate to its appropriate neutral position, damn near completely covering my eyebrows. Thus it did sucketh.

I decided this must be because it was an ECE helmet. I corresponded with Shoei US, Shoei Europe, and Chromeburner, just to check and see if there were any secret liner/pad combinations that might help. No dice.

Shoei maintains its helmets for Asia and Europe and the US are different helmets. This must be why my size in the RF1100, RF1200, Qwest, N-103, N-104, N-104 Evo, and N-104 Absolute helmets was a true XL, but the neotec 2 swallowed me whole in XL. Right?

Nope. The Shoei neotec 2, at least in its XL configuration, runs, at a minimum, a full size large. Period. I went to a local shop, and tried on neotec 2s in medium, large, and XL. We compared my XL to their XL. We even pulled the padding out of my helmet and one of their XLs. My XL (ECE) and their XL were indistinguishable from one another. Their neotec 2s swallowed me whole just like mine did. Their Large neotec 2 fit me properly. Not a bit too tight. Just like an XL in any of the other helmets would have.

Just a note of experience for anyone considering this fine helmet. As someone somewhere here mentioned a while back, this particular model isnt sized conventionally.

That is an interesting note Bill

I purchased a Neotec from a Japanese retailer and yes, the shape is probably slightly different than its american counterpart.

Also the chinstrap is quick release instead of the double D ring, something I like.

I get a hot spot right in the middle of my forehead if I wear it for longer that 3-4 hours straight, especially in the heat.

I wear Large on Arai and HJC (59 cm. head measurement) so I got a large on this one according to their size chart and other than this issue, the helmet fits and works well, then again, this helmet is for the asian market...

Cheers,

Daniel

Thanks for the report from experience. Too bad you couldn't have tried it on before you bought it, Bill, and exchanged it if the fit was off. I paid full price for that option. My Neotec 2 is size "L," just like my old Shoei Multitec, and I took a chance on the sizing when I ordered it. We must have about the same sized heads, because mine fits fine, and I am very pleased. WBill

It was interesting to find that the ECE European helmet and the US helmet were identical. And about about a mile from conventional Shoei or Nolan sizing standards. It’s very curious for a big, premium helmet company to decide to make a helmet that fits a couple of sizes differently from the rest of their models, or from most quality helmet sizing. You live and you learn. At least one other rider experienced this before me, and a couple of others have added their similarly baffling experiences with this model.

Good that it worked out for you. I went to a local shop and picked up the large I ordered yesterday. It fits precisely like an XL in my other Shoei (non modular) and Nolans. It fits fairly well. While I normally couldnt stomach a large, I found I could actually wear a medium in the n2, but it was just snug enough that I was concerned I might encounter hot spots over time.

I had a Shoei Multitec XL and ended up in a Neotec 2 L. Same size head. The Neotec 2 seems snug but probably fits better than the Multitec did.

--Kevin

I recently bought a Neotech from Europe and it seems to fit exactly like the models I tried on here in the states. It also seems to fit similar to my other Shoei helmets do. Its interesting to hear about everyone's different experiences.

I was sure the fact mine wasnt sized like any of my other helmets was due to it being from Europe. Imagine my consternation when we sat the ECE and the DOT helmets side by side and they were identical, inside and out. Not sure whats up with the Neotec 2.

Ordered my Neotech 2 high viz from Chromeburner today. I went down to our local shop and tried them on so I could see just what size fit well. Saved $144 dollars. Bill / Adam; how long did yours take to arrive after ordering?

Mine took around three weeks. And it’s still sitting in its’ factory packaging, for sale. I continue to enjoy my identical, one size smaller, neotec 2.

Yep. You can make it looser but not tighter. You can turn an XL into an XXL but not into a L.

So exactly 2 weeks and my new Shoei Neotec 2 Excursion TC-3 helmet showed up in perfect shape. I had checked out the sizes at my local shop and I'm glad I did. I saved $150 and my new helmet fits great.

Bill, thanks for the information on Chromeburner.

So exactly 2 weeks and my new Shoei Neotec 2 Excursion TC-3 helmet showed up in perfect shape. I had checked out the sizes at my local shop and I'm glad I did. I saved $150 and my new helmet fits great.
Bill, thanks for the information on Chromeburner.
Mine also took about 2 weeks to arrive. Fits great and I too saved a boat load of money.....

Interesting discussion. I have a Shark EVO in medium and it fits me well. I decided I would like to have a Shoei Neotec but did not want to pay $650. I saw a Neotec on Ebay (new) from a dealer in Dallas. I went to the local ship and tried on Neotec and found size small was the correct fit. I bid at $550 on size small silver and bid was accepted. Helmet fits well and all is good.