FJR1300 Won't restart when hot

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkH

Reaction score
My 2013 FJR won't restart 5-10 minutes after stopping (it will restart in the first few minutes).

Engine turns freely but will not fire. No fuel pump priming, no diagnostic errors displayed and cannot access the diagnostics when this happens. When engine temperature drops to 67 degrees C it always starts immediately (and can then access the diagnostics)!

Have tried fiddling with ignition,side-stand, clutch and red ignition cut-off switches but makes no difference. Disconnecting the battery for 30s and then reconnecting doesn't help either.

Any suggestions very welcome?

Not sure about the 1300's I can attest to the 1050's having issues..

Google search FJR forum and topic might help.

Not being able to go to diagnostic mode is a bit worrisome but seems to indicate an ECU problem. I would start by unplugging the ECU and checking pins for corrosion. Bad ECU can be consistent with hot fail as well. If bad, I expect that you can pick up a used one on Ebay for cheap. Good luck with it.

I haven't done it. Not a big deal for a bike without the immobilizer but becomes quite a bit more complicated and expensive with the immobilizer. You might have to get the immobilizer with appropriate matching chipped master key. I suppose that could be used to program your existing keys - I hope. You maybe should speak with a reputable Yamaha shop. I wonder if you could replace the ECU with one without the immobilizer function? You can get one of those for something around $100 from Ebay...

Long before I replaced the ECU, I would certainly do my best to check out connectors for corrosion and make sure contacts are clean and well secured.

When it wouldn't start I inserted the red master key and tried to get into the diagnostics again, a few seconds after turning on the ignition the fuel pump suddenly primed and I could start it.

It seems to have been fine ever since (after five rides so far).

Bizzare, but just relieved it's ok now.

Hmmm.. no smoking gun leaves me nervous.. but as my tech buddy said 'Let it (the problem) develop!'

Hmmmm. Although I don't have a Gen3 I would be interested to know what happened.

Other things not mention: How long has it been doing this? How many miles on the bike? How often do you ride it? When did it start doing this (miles and date)? Any indication it started having more mild problems starting warm?

I ask because I rode my bike every day to work for years, no issues starting at any temp. Now that I rarely ride it behaves differently. The fast idle stays on way too long and also pulses, etc. Weird stuff like that, but after riding a bit then switching off motor a bit then firing it back up all is well. Strange???? But I attribute it to sitting too much. Don't know the exact cause but that's when it started doing it.

Good luck, keep us informed.

OP, So glad it's working again.

I had a similar issue ... not starting on the first try. I wore down the battery trying various positions for this and that.

Then a friend (engineer) pointed out the FJR needs an ignition re-set to re-start. IOW you must turn off and on the key (NOT the kill switch) to try a new start sequence. Now I always start with a slow motion 'turn the key ... wait... press the button ... hold ... release after she starts' and if that didn't work .... repeat entire sequence.