Palouse River Headwaters

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fontanaman

Robin Trower
Reaction score
Road the mighty DR650 180 miles today about 40 of it on gravel roads in Idaho near Potlatch. The idea for this ride was to visit the Palouse River headwaters. I got close but snow clogged the road at elevation 3150 and put a torpedo in my route.

This is the Palouse Falls just a few miles from where it flows into the Snake River. So let's go to the other end!

adiUh2U.jpg

On the way to the gravel there is this train trestle in a little town south of Spokane.

VNr3Dgo.jpg

A closer look.

VDctmKb.jpg

I hit the gravel and it didn't take long for the road to go to hell, there was no signs and it was a maze. The road I choose got real steep for a short section (sorry no pictures) but the DR was willing and my muscle memory from years of single track didn't let me down. The DR impressed me on this short steep section. Did a loop then followed the GPS and managed to get back on track.

Typical stuff.

sfex5tA.jpg

Yya1vW4.jpg

k9Olfzh.jpg

The Palouse River. A beaver dam must be nearby.

Dewcr7M.jpg

Snow started to show up.

R9aBZ8A.jpg

And shortly after this I turned around about here. I was solo - the road will be here when I return. No point in falling down - I am too old for that rubbish.

EwpfFjB.jpg

On the way home I slowed for some elk and got this photo.

jyd7eNt.jpg

It was a great day to be on the DR650. I am really liking this bike.

Freaking Phooking Phuntastic Most Coolio RR Sir FontanaBananna!

and this..

And shortly after this I turned around about here. I was solo - the road will be here when I return. No point in falling down - I am too old for that rubbish.
SMART!

dCarver

Great pics!

And being you brought up falling, curious if you use any type of personal tracker? I've occasionally thought about one as I ride alone quite a bit but rarely in places as remote as what you've posted.

Good again. You know there is a euphoria to solo riding at times, still, it would be nice if you could find a riding buddy with similar proclivities at your age ( mine too). Would probably make your wife feel a little better, my significant other of 51 years has fits when I depart by myself even tho I feel quite fine by myself. Really enjoy your photo journals.