I kissed a GSA...and I liked it

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson

Reaction score
Rode the KTM 1190R today and one of our group had a 1200 GSA that he let me ride. This was seriously optioned out, probably $28k worth of bike, which this guy had bought reasonably cheaply as a used model. It had about 25k miles on it. Ive never owned a BMW motorcycle and shied away from test rides.

I loved it. Great torquey motor, wonderful dynamic suspension, perfect riding position, and all the weight vanished under throttle.

Ive been thinking about ways to thin the herd. Three of the bikes I wouldnt sell, but always wondered about selling both the FJR and KTM to score a GS. I dont ride the KTM like I thought I would. Problem is the FJR prices are in the shitter - its almost worth just keeping as a guest bike. Plus Id never recover half f my farkle investments on both bikes, and they have stupid low miles considering.

The GSA impressed me as the bike I would consider if I could only have one.

Lest everyone regale me with final drive and service issues, this guy has a flawless history with the bike so far.

Hmmm

I own a GSA LC andin my opinion is the best touring bike in the market right now

Anyways I just bought a 16' FJR which was in my list for long time

I like the 4 cylinder engine a lot

I also have a GSA. 580 pounds wet but feels lighter. It is my 11th BMW (counting Spousal Units five) and we never had a final drive issue. BMW seems to have gotten a handle on their FD issues. It is a great long distance touring bike.

My only issue with BMW is the same with their cars. Everything is a la carte and cost of ownership is higher than I'm comfortable with but then I don't have 3 bikes (much less so many that selling 3 would be called "thinning the herd").

Last edited by a moderator:
Three of the bikes I wouldnt sell, but always wondered about selling both the FJR and KTM to score a GS. I dont ride the KTM like I thought I would. Problem is the FJR prices are in the shitter - its almost worth just keeping as a guest bike. Plus Id never recover half f my farkle investments on both bikes, and they have stupid low miles considering.
I know very little about the BMWs but I'd try hard to push the "investment" value of a bike out of my mind. Let's face it, these things are toys which we're supposed to simply enjoy. Most of us have no problem swapping out tires, seats, windshields, farkles, etc, sometimes just to try something new and different. And usually the cost factor comes in only with regards to whether or not we have some free cash laying around and not because we need it or the item makes fiscal sense. So why not look at the entire bike as just one, big farkle? When you tire of it or just want to try something new for whatever reason, and you've got the cash flow to make it happen, why not??

rofl.gif

JSNS and
fuck.gif

Hugs n' Kisses

By the way I owned 11 BMW bikes in the last 30 years with zero 0 shaft drive issues not even a leak....
It's ok, a lot of BMW riders don't get out much.
winksmiley02.gif

We have a '16 GSA with just under 40k on it. ABS valve block died last week, rear brake locked, fried rotor, caliper and of course the pads. FD was possibly leaking, got very hot. And thus it starts... We'll see if it gets covered under the extended aftermarket 10 year/unlimited mileage warranty that cost around $2k when purchased with the bike, (new).

Most BMW bikes do fine under the minimal warranty period. BMW doesn't offer an extended factory warranty because they would lose too much money. (They looked into it a few years back) The last BMW cost more in repairs than the bike cost new over 110k miles. OTOH, my FJR and Super Ten were not w/o faults, but covered under the factory extended warranty until the end. The FJR suffered a mechanic induced ring/valve wear issues that I ended up paying for a replacement engine to sort. Ah Ha! you say, except that I bought a barely used replacement motor for $1k. You're never going to be able to do that with a BMW.

@Hudson - They are a feature rich, nice bike to ride. They are expensive to own and maintain. BMW uses the lowest cost parts they can source to build them. Expected life of wheel bearings is 20-25k miles. (Compared to 100k on a Yamaha) The forks and shock bits were made by WP for a while, until BMW demanded they cut the price so much that WP didn't want their name on the crap that would have been the result. Someone else didn't mind and under cut the cost.

The Koolaid is strong so be very carefull. I'm not a fan just cause I think they are ugly and BMW dealers generally suck but that's only an opinion that I don't charge for.
smile.png

Rode the KTM 1190R today and one of our group had a 1200 GSA that he let me ride. This was seriously optioned out, probably $28k worth of bike, which this guy had bought reasonably cheaply as a used model. It had about 25k miles on it. Ive never owned a BMW motorcycle and shied away from test rides.

I loved it. Great torquey motor, wonderful dynamic suspension, perfect riding position, and all the weight vanished under throttle.

Ive been thinking about ways to thin the herd. Three of the bikes I wouldnt sell, but always wondered about selling both the FJR and KTM to score a GS. I dont ride the KTM like I thought I would. Problem is the FJR prices are in the shitter - its almost worth just keeping as a guest bike. Plus Id never recover half f my farkle investments on both bikes, and they have stupid low miles considering.

Lest everyone regale me with final drive and service issues, this guy has a flawless history with the bike so far.

Hmmm

Been there, done that!

Glad I made the switch.

Well farkled Used 14-17's with 10-15,000 miles are pretty reasonable, especially after the release of the 19 1250

Well farkled Used 14-17's with 10-15,000 miles are pretty reasonable, especially after the release of the 19 1250
And there you go. If you don't think you'll ride past the warranty, go for it! 12 months, 36k, which ever comes first. Wife passed that in the first year on both bikes. Was told "you ride too much in 6th gear when the transmission failed.

And there you go. If you don't think you'll ride past the warranty, go for it! 12 months, 36k, which ever comes first. Wife passed that in the first year on both bikes. Was told "you ride too much in 6th gear when the transmission failed.
Say whaaaat?
Repairs done under OEM warranty for that repair. The failed stator, water pump, engine all done under the aftermarket warranty. BMW dealer in NV took the bike in, towed to their shop due to charging issues, having died on the road. They charged the battery and let it idle in the parking lot for 20 minutes, then proclaimed it was fine. Never physically examined the stator. Then lied to our faces about having "never seen this problem before". Another woman rider had dinner with us the night before. She'd had the exact same problem, with the exact same model bike, at the exact same dealer, with the exact same treatment. She didn't make it home before requiring another tow after being stranded. Both women were riding solo on trips and over 60. Nice customer service, NOT.

BMW dealer in Vegas, after having the bike towed to them from another on the road breakdown, examined the bike and declared the steering head bearings were in need of replacement. Wanted north of $500 for the job. I picked the bike up to ride it home and do it myself and got about 8 miles. As soon as i got up to full freeway speed it became apparent that the rear wheel bearings where the issue my wife was nervous about. Pulled over and it was obvious with rear wheel play and spooge. Had the bike towed 90 miles home and did them myself. The bearing supply shop was stunned that the undersize bearings were being use for wheel bearings. Spec'd out as just barely adequate for the load.

If you have a good shop to deal with, that's a rare thing. I haven't found too many. Browns in Ontario, CA is very good. I'm on the fence about Harrison Eurosport in Salt Lake City. They only did scheduled maintenance, not repairs on the R1200GSA before we moved. Service counter guys were great at upselling the clueless in Spring for excessive items.

Somehow I trust the experiences of guys on this forum more than I trust the BMW forums.

Ill hold tight a while longer. Too many other financial distractions to keep my wallet occupied. Plus, I own em all now.