Handguards?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, Suzuki V Strom guards. Easy to install [thanks escapefjrtist] with one little bushing that had to be made.

44948257_10156825714964628_7445081797639012352_o.jpg

I've got a set of hand guards you can have for the postage.

PM me with your email address and I'll send you a picture. They worked better than the Vstrom guards for me on my FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the FJR "knuckle visors" on my 2010. They did keep some rain off the hands, but unlikely to be as effective as "proper" guards.

(Click on image for larger view)

Without and with knuckle visors

Some more pics here.

Trivially easy to fit, they simply clamp on to the mirror stalks.

Shows clamping screws

Pricey (I got them free as part of my purchase deal, so cost me nothing), and (IMHO) ugly. I took them off.

Yes, Suzuki V Strom guards. Easy to install [thanks escapefjrtist] with one little bushing that had to be made.
44948257_10156825714964628_7445081797639012352_o.jpg
Hi. They are V-strom brand or made for the strom? What's the deal with the bushing? I don't have a way to make them. Would it be easy for a workshop to make the bushing? These look fantastic.

As Niehart says, late model ('14 and newer) VStrom handguards work really well and look like they belong. Simple install with an easy made nylon spacer.

~G

I use barkbuster storm handguards in the winter. I love them. I also have the knuckle visors from Yamaha. They are very good, but not as good as the barkbusters.

I put the V-Strom guards on this spring. (found a part number and source for the kit elsewhere in this forum). With the handle bars moved to the closest to the rider position, the right side guard has no clearance issues. The left side guard contacts the dash just before full lock on a right turn but not enough to be a problem. I modified the guards slightly per instructions in this forum using a dremel tool to fit them to the bike. On the throttle side, I used two 3/16 flat washers with the hole reamed out to to provide extra clearance for the bar end weights. This prevents the guard from interfering with the throttle. If you don't have a dremel tool, buy one or borrow one and the installation will be a snap. But you'll need to move your handle bars to get adequate clearance.

Like RichDoyle and Mr. Lumberg, I installed the Barkbusters last fall. I commuted to work through the winter here in Idaho in temps down to 15F. With the heated grips and insulated/armored gloves, my hands stayed toasty. I like that they wrap nearly halfway around the grips for wind protection. Not the most stylish, but they work very well and are simple to install and remove.

20190126-112001.jpg

20181108-200909.jpg

I've been messing around with a set of Vstrom hand guards and trying to find a way to modify the brake and clutch pivot bolts to work as mounting points. The existing bolt head fits down into the perch and centers the pivot bolt. Because of this, I am reluctant to replace the bolt with a standard bolt. Am I over thinking this?

Dravnx: You need the V-Strom bolts. I bought a kit that contained everything necessary. Later I'll look up the part numbers. No time now.