Thinking of moving to the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RideToEat

Reaction score
Folks:

After 16 years or so on my '03 ST1300A I'm in the market for a new Sport Touring steed, and thinking of the FJR1300AS. Would appreciate some advice.

Primary use would 2-up w/luggage multi-day trips. A distant secondary use is the occasional 1-up minor IBA ride.

The wife and I are in our 60's, and weigh in around 430 together. The under-sprung nature of the ST was a constant source of aggravation I would not like to repeat.

I'd like take advantage of the WOTL to set it up correctly from the start, rather than evolve it over time. That means I'm willing to plan for suspension and any other recommended upgrades up front.
Am I correct that the '16 - '19 models are essentially identical? I'm thinking of new, but not completely averse to a reasonable used '16 or later AS model.
I poked around a little for similar discussions and didn't find anything - but if this is well-plowed ground I'm happy read further rather than expect folks to re-hash old advice.

Feedback appreciated!

Hi RideToEat. Welcome aboard. I'm sure you mean the ES model with electronic suspension? Excellent bike. I own a Gen 2 2008. 10 years of great riding with a great group of FJR riders. The community is as good as the bike. I'll let Gen 3 owners fill you in with their thoughts. All the best and I assure you you'll be very impressed with the FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're correct, '16 to '19 models are the same motorcycle except for color.

Since you're considering suspension improvements (with good reason) I'd stick with the "A" model. Easy upgrade to a properly sprung aftermarket shock along with numerous fork options. My '15A with GP forks and Penske shock is awesome. With a simple, quick shock spring swap, it goes from one-up to two-up without any compromises.

Good luck and happy hunting!

~G

I traded my beloved '04 ST1300 for a '15 FJR ES. I have never regretted it. I loved my ST1300 but the Gen3 FJR is a better bike to ride for me.

Suspension on the FJRs from 2013 forward is far superior to the ST1300 although the remote hydraulic adjuster on the 1300 rear was nice. The ES versions of the FJR are remarkably easy to dial in and the preload settings make an immediate and noticeable difference.

The Cruise Control is wonderful on the '14 and later FJRs. The two engine maps are pretty nice too, for me anyway.

You will hear and feel the same 3 complaints that filled the ST1300 forums. 1. Seat. 2. Bar Risers. 3. Windshield.

You fix those issues the same way on the FJR you fixed them on the ST1300. A Russell or a Laam seat, there are others. The Helibar Bridge or the MV Motoradd Bridge are my recommendations. I actually kept my OE shield on my ST, you are on your own figuring out what you need on the FJR. NOBODY agrees about windshields.

Unlike your ST1300 the FJR has NO tip over protection. If the FJR falls over it will cost you money. I suggest the T-Rex cages front and rear.

You are going to LOVE changing the oil in the FJR after dealing with the ST1300. You won't have oil all over the centerstand!

Good luck. If you need pics or specifics, just ask.

You know I really love my FJR, it is a superb machine, but it is a one up ride for me, I would be doing lots of bike test rides to evaluate the two up aspect if I were you guys. Sold the Wing when the wife quit riding and my right hip hurt a lot at times. Some of the new wing models have a lot going for them, lighter and very responsive. Lots of folks on this forum with experienced views. When you roll on the throttle in sport mode the FJR is a lot of instant response, some folks have not handled it well. I am well in to my 70s and seem to be aging alright bikewise.

Wow, thanks everybody for great and spooky fast feedback!

I'm sure you mean the ES model with electronic suspension?
Ooops... yeah.

Since you're considering suspension improvements (with good reason) I'd stick with the "A" model. Easy upgrade to a properly sprung aftermarket shock along with numerous fork options. My '15A with GP forks and Penske shock is awesome. With a simple, quick shock spring swap, it goes from one-up to two-up without any compromises.
Ahhhh... I think we approach the crux of the bisquit... If I were buyuing a 'Wing, or Honda still made the ST, I'd probably be calling Traxxion Dynamics and telling them to do the full monty on it.

It sounds to me like GPSuspension is to the FJR as TD is to the 'Wing and ST?

...The ES versions of the FJR are remarkably easy to dial in and the preload settings make an immediate and noticeable difference.
So your opinion is that the stock "ES" suspension setup is superior to "A" model aftermarket options? That would certainly simplify things.

You will hear and feel the same 3 complaints that filled the ST1300 forums. 1. Seat. 2. Bar Risers. 3. Windshield
I put a Russel on my ST almost immediately, and plan the same for the FJR. I found the stock ST bar height perfect for me. The stock windshield was absurd, but a Calsci shorty set me right.

Unlike your ST1300 the FJR has NO tip over protection. If the FJR falls over it will cost you money. I suggest the T-Rex cages front and rear.
Ahh. My ST never got horizontal, so I'm tempted to think I am above such earthly concerns.

Which immediately makes me paranoid
smile.png
I'll look into them.

You know I really love my FJR, it is a superb machine, but it is a one up ride for me...
Wife and I have taken many 1-2 week twisty road trips on the ST and found it fit us perfectly except for the suspension. We rented a Wing in Vegas a couple of times for day trips to DV and surrounding environs, and enjoyed them. And I appreciate the form factor of the new wing more than the old, but something about the Wing doesn't make my socks roll up and down like the ST did, and like I think the FJR will. The Wing just seems like too much poorly thought out tech, insufficient luggage capacity, and a price tag higher than is justified by whatever advanages it brings.

Thanks again everybody.

I’m a little late responding to your questions but after owning both a 13A and a 14ES and doing sag measurements on both with solo and 2-up loads, the ES shock does not have enough spring for a 430 lb load and the A model shock would be marginal with the stock spring.

I would recommend you buy an A model and then decide if you need a shock with a heavier spring. The A model forks are pretty good as delivered, put some miles on them before you decide to upgrade.

@RideToEat

No, I don't think the ES is superior to the A model. I say it works well and I prefer it for ME but as MCRIDER007 says above, the A model actually has a stronger rear spring. The ES is better than the stock ST1300 suspension in every way. It might work for you or it might not. The A model suspension is better than the ST1300 also but it lacks the ease of adjustment and the range of adjustment that the ES offers. I have the ES, my father has the A. I prefer my ES but that does not mean it's better... It's all about what you want and what works for you.

Your ST1300 has that superb hydraulic preload adjuster for the rear, the A model FJR only has two spring settings. The shock does work well and the spring is strong. I wish it had more adjustment options.

IMO, the ST1300 carried its weight down low, with a low center of gravity even though it was much heavier than the FJR. The FJR carries its weight higher and to me is a little less stable at parking lot speeds. It will fall over. On a Gen3 you have a very good chance of breaking the frame work inside the fairing that supports the mirrors. Do yourself a favor, get some decent crash protection and take that worry out of the equation.

I like the new GoldWing but when I read that they reduced the fuel capacity and the luggage capacity I crossed it off my list.

If my wife would agree to ride with me I would own either a GoldWing or a Harley. I would paint it pink with lavender pinstripes if that would make her happy. She won't so I ride my FJR. And my DR650. And sometimes my R1150R.

If you plan on riding in the dark, get a later model Gen 3 with the LED headlights (2016 onwards). Really good, much better than the older halogens (even with brighter bulbs).

Many friends have ridden the ST , and loved it. The ride is silky smooth but 'Turbine like' with that noisy trasmission or ??? But the back seat was very popular!

The FJR is smaller (feeling) than the ST and feels 'sportier' with less weight and 'Sport drive mode' ... but the back seat is shorter (front to back) so I would suggest a test ride or 2. Most pillions like a backrest or trunk, but they crowd the pillion forward a little more.

I ride solo so the A model stays the same all the time. I could adjust the rear shock quickly for 2 up. If you wanted to upgrade the A model it is traditional parts... but stock is WAY better from 2013 on.

You do 2 up a lot, and solo sometimes, so the ES model makes the most sense ... if it works for your weight and riding style. Fixing or replacing ES parts sounds prohibitive... so don't try.

Ride the Gen 3 FJR 2 up either way, and be sure she is comfy ... then pick either model. You will be so much happier flying the FJR!
punk.gif

I made the switch from ST to a 2016 FJR ES a year ago. I mostly ride solo, but occasionally have the wife on the back. We are nowhere near 430 lb and I find the 2-up setting on the ES quite sufficient - loving the quick and easy switch. I love the ability to switch to Soft whenever I ride the horrible roads in the city. Initially I was concerned about the smaller fuel capacity, but I actually get better mileage on the FJR as well as regular gas, so that's not a problem at all.

The FJR is a real pleasure to ride - much sportier than the ST. It's a bit louder on the freeways though (the ST was totally quiet). I find myself going about 10% faster on my daily commute on the FJR. I never felt comfortable on the ST much over 90 mph, but the FJR is rock solid no matter what speed - so I often look down and find myself close to 100 mph without really feeling it. The power in Sport model is noticeably higher than the ST.

The bags are much smaller though - keep that in mind if you do a lot of longer trips. I actually ride "naked" on most days as I can't even fit my (small) laptop in the bags...I have a top box which is great. The FJR has less weather protection than the ST. I get a lot wetter when it rains - especially my legs, which were very well protected on the ST. I could get a much larger windshield, but I feel the Yamaha touring shield is quite nice.

I'm sure you'll love the FJR. I needed a comfortable touring bike that was a bit more modern than the ST, and the FJR has surely delivered.

...the back seat was very popular!
...the back seat is shorter (front to back) so I would suggest a test ride or 2. Most pillions like a backrest or trunk, but they crowd the pillion forward a little more.

...Ride the Gen 3 FJR 2 up either way, and be sure she is comfy ... then pick either model. You will be so much happier flying the FJR!
punk.gif
Yeah, my wife loved the ST rear seat, especially once I bought the Russel Day Long.

Especially with the rider backrest integrated with my Russel (a feature I intend to repeat on whatever I buy) the ST was pretty much at her front-to-back comfort limit.

I still can't go with the wing, but have expanded my horizons to a couple of BMWs (the R1250RT and the K1600GT). I'm going to try to ride all three - hoping the FJ will be in her comfort zone. It's still my first choice.

I've had my 07 FJR for 7 years this month and my 07 Goldwing for a little over 5 years. I do love the FJR and I think I know what you mean when you say the Goldwing doesn't make your socks pull up and down. However, I will say that you need to really think about whether your primary goal is riding 2-up or that crap-eating grin you get when you turn the throttle, because the Goldwing was the FJR killer for my wife.

My wife started taking trips with me on my VTX about ten years ago. We found we love riding in the mountains together and it's a dream come true for me. On the VTX we could do about 850 miles and we were pretty much done on that bike - her knee hurt and my butt hurt beyond that.

Then she bought me the FJR for my birthday in 2012. More power than I know what to do with and yet handles long miles well? Gimme a break. The FJR has been my favorite bike of all time. Our distance went from 850 miles to 2000 miles. I think I could do more but I've never ridden that far on it without her. Past that distance her knee bothered her and it started getting worse as time went by.

She started thinking about whether we could make it to Montana which was 3600 miles round trip not riding any fun roads. Therefore I started looking at Goldwings. I got one from an FJRForum member in Pennsylvania that had just got a shiny new FJR. I have Russell seats and a Penske shock on the FJR and stock everything on the Wing but we have now done four 5,000 mile trips and that limitation is vacation time and funds, not riding fatigue.

Her knee doesn't hurt on the Goldwing, we handle the long miles better and it has MORE luggage space than the FJR (we have OEM topcase and sidebags and a tankbag). One more positive thing on the Wing before I jump sides... I've ridden tons of mountain twisties and I honestly don't think the Goldwing corners much different from the FJR. It really does handle well to my surprise.

But I don't love it like I do the FJR. Whether it's that the FJR makes my socks go up and down or it just oozes power or it sounds and feels like a sportbike, I don't really know. But I don't get the same joy riding the Wing as the FJR. I ride the FJR to work every chance I get, but the Wing sits in the garage until we take a trip. It's incredibly FUNCTIONAL.

If I had to sell one tomorrow, it would be the FJR because my priority is taking trips with my wife. If she got to where she couldn't ride I'd sell the Goldwing in a heartbeat.

My birthday is this weekend and we are taking a trip to the Ozarks of Missouri after seeing some family in Southern IL Sat and Sun. I have talked my wife into taking the FJR since it's not a long trip and not long days. We will see how she does as she's not too thrilled. I've almost regretted it because the packing has been harder and I don't have the FJR setup with all our comforts of the Wing. No butler cupholders or luggage rack for the rain gear, etc. Man, when did I get to be such a prissy girl? That's what the Goldwing will do to you...

I rambled on with my stories as I tend to do, but hopefully it helps gives at least some perspective. Also I have ridden a BMW1600 and wouldn't take a new one over a used Goldwing. Honda and Yamaha both have better quality IMO. Whether you go with a Wing or an FJR, the dependability is there on the used bikes and the prices are low due to the proliferation of them in the market.

Ibuprophen is your friend (Vitamin "I" for long-distance riders). It can make aches and pains from many hours perched on a bike almost disappear. The trick is to take it BEFORE you start to hurt.

Some comments about "all of the above":

I bought an ES expecting to get approximately the same degree of suspension management as I experienced with a BMW RT (boxer motor). Maybe I'd get if the front suspension could be changed as the back suspension is. Hard frost heaves and similar "bangs" from road are still as hard and abrupt regardless of whether the suspension is in "two up with bags in marshmallow mode" or "hard core racer mode" settings. Which makes idea of a well set up after market suspension attractive.

LED headlights are the only way to go at night. End of discussion. The spiffy "light up the corners" kit is great advertising copy and nice when turning (IIRC) left while it's near useless on (IIRC) right turns (or vice versa). Get LED headlights, get spiffy lean lights. So it goes.

Seating is an epic fail, but not for the "feels like sitting on a plank, sheet of plywood, etc." reason but because, except for the "yes, I do play pro basketball - why do you ask" legged amongst us. there's very little option for picking the desired stance when stopped. With a 33"-ish inseam, I've got one option way too far apart. So much so that, on almost any surface except flat, the bike's weight is carried on one side instead bringing a foot in and getting a little in keeping the bike closer to upright. The issue isn't height, per se, but saddle width. Spending time fiddling around with changing height or mentally changing width, saddle alterations aren't simple. All of that said, IMNSHO and saddle that's wider than the stock saddle is not a win. No matter how nicely it strokes your butt.

Cruise control is worth killing to get. Unless your FJR spends all of its time carving up curves or doing grocery runs. Any real time spent going down roads that are mostly straight mean cruise control.

I remain baffled about the obsession with risers and droppers going on before even riding the bike further than the nearest tool set to rise and drop stuff. If, after, at least a couple of hundred miles of traveling, the ergos don't work, sobeit. But changing things out of reflex ("it's new, gotta change it")... [? shakes head]

Above applies to the windscreen, save 100 miles of time spent above 45 MPH will cement liking the stock windscreen or looking for a way to tilt it higher or extending it. For me, a near tuck gets my Shoei out of the windscreen. Maintaining a tuck for any distance is self-inflicted discomfort. I tried an after-market windscreen extender. It worked by the windscreen flexed to the point that I figured something ugly was going to happen if the screen didn't stop nearly flapping. OTOH, life with the windscreen down on hotter, slower days is very good. YMMV

The side stand is ridiculously too short. Twice I've set the bike on the side stand and had to resort to cleverly boosting the foot up with a small stack of scrap wood (found in the marina I was visiting). The small ballast rock ground cover in the storage yard was far deeper than expected. Or having a friend tug while I pushed in the middle of a road (stuck in a many minutes long construction jam). What I assumed was the raised crown in the middle of the road wasn't raised but depressed. I'm not exactly Mr. Muscles NTL trying to get weight on the high peg while trying to push with the other leg, even with some aggressive jerking, was not productive. All of which brings me to one reason why a 'Wing has its appeal.

The FJR is far more top heavy than almost anything else of I've ridden. The nearest competitor is the BMW K1600. Not having sat (or ridden) one back to back with the other, I can't give even a subjective "A seems more top heavy than B". But, for me, the FJR's high CG stands between my being a serious "yes, I drank the Kool-Aid" FJR fanatic and "there are some very good points - while rolling" FJR owner. Seeing the 'Wing motor way down low has a lot of appeal.

YMMV

I bought an ES expecting to get approximately the same degree of suspension management as I experienced with a BMW RT (boxer motor). Maybe I'd get if the front suspension could be changed as the back suspension is. Hard frost heaves and similar "bangs" from road are still as hard and abrupt regardless of whether the suspension is in "two up with bags in marshmallow mode" or "hard core racer mode" settings. Which makes idea of a well set up after market suspension attractive.
I'm in no way debating here your findings on your bike however my experiences with the ES suspension changes, and if I may speak for a couple of others also, are just the opposite of yours. As someone who lives locally with pot-hole infestation and degrading roads, has made his way often up to New England via smoother slab for riding opportunities and once there got an education in frost heaves, I find the ES and the changes it offers very rewarding. I'll switch it around several times during such rides and can always feel a noticeable difference. Again you know your bike better than anyone else but is it possible your ES isn't operating as it should? I believe there's a fairly recent thread here about such an issue with another member's bike.

Ah, found it: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/176452-no-damping-on-rear-suspension-2018-as/