Maximum Size micro-SD card for Zumo 665

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
I have a Zumo 665 and am looking to upgrade the micro-SD card from the 4 GB I am currently using. Garmin says that the Zumo 660 will take a 32 GB card but only an 8 GB card for the 665. Seems odd to me and I have seen claims where people have said that the 665 could take a larger card. First of all, more space is better when you are looking at Garmin map-bloat plus music, routes etc. Not to mention that I am not even sure I can still even buy a micro-SD as small as 8 GB!! (8 GB would do for current needs, 4 GB is too small)

Does anyone have any real life experience with micro-SD cards bigger than 8 GB on the Garmin Zumo 665 (not the 660)?

Last edited by a moderator:
....Garmin says that the Zumo 660 will take a 32 GB card but only an 8 GB card for the 665.

Does anyone have any real life experience with micro-SD cards bigger than 8 GB on the Garmin Zumo 665 (not the 660)?
They said the same thing for my 590, but various discussion and instructions on the Internet to get around that via formatting in a certain format (I used SDFormatter). Sorry I don't have a link for the discussion, but you likely could find via Google with terms like "larger memory card garmin 665" or similar. I have a 128GB in mine, play mp3 files, read a European map while I was there, and works fine....probably carries over to other models.

Thanks

I have done some searching but can't find a definitive answer. I will have to do some playing, but I don't want to risk "bricking" it!!

When I updated the maps on my old NUVI 765, Garmin Express gives me the option of installing the maps on an SD card. For some reason, this is not an option on the Zumo 665.

Don't know whether can install the whole mapset on the card and not worry about the internal RAM.

Edit: I found an 8 GB card but would love to use at least a 16 GB if it will take it.

Steve

I knew I was part of this discussion before but couldn't find it!! You (and some others) have claimed success with the 16 GB card in the Zumo 665; despite what Garmin says.

I may get back to you if I have further issues. I will see if I can find a 16 GB card to use and keep the 8 GB full mapset as a backup. - Still don't fully trust SD cards.

Many thanks - I will give it a try.

I reviewed the other thread - and have a couple of questions (or clarifications).

Steve - Did you ever manage to get a larger card working in your 665? You mentioned that you were going to try something to get a 32 GB card loaded.

(Garmin still says that 8 GB is maximum - can't even buy one of those from most retail outlets anymore.) I hope I can find some 16 GB cards. I can't foresee any need for something larger than this.

Just so I am not missing something...

Start with clean card

Download current map update from Garmin to the computer

Use Mapinstall to highlight and select all maps and install to the SD card

I assume that you have to either rename or uninstall gmapprom.img from the Zumo 665 so the GPS knows it has to look elsewhere for the maps?

(please confirm)

What about:

gmapprom.gma

gmapprom.unl

gmap3d.img

gmap3d.gma

gmap3d.unl

GMAPTZ.IMG

All of these are refreshed when there is a new map update. Do all of these get installed on the SD card when Mapinstall runs? (I guess I could find out but don't like surprises.)

If I screw this up, has anyone run into difficulties restoring a Zumo by copying files from a backup archive?

Can't believe the amount of bloat in map sizes (actually mostly POI, I expect) in the time I have owned my Zumo - around doubled in size. I just had a look at the Garmin directory on my computer and it is 68 GB representing all of the old map files and firmware I have downloaded over the years. Maybe time to pare that down a bit!

What happens if opening an old route in Basecamp or Mapsource if the mapset that was used to create it is no longer on the computer?

Edit: Checked by using add/remove programs to delete older mapsets. No issues.

Thanks in advance.

My poor memory - I am pretty sure I tried a 32G card, and that the 665 'saw' only 16G. I have a 32G card in inventory, and since its not in the Garmin, I think that's the outcome of that test.

You don't have to start with a clean card, my 16G card has many music files on it, the Garmin s'ware just ignores those files.

You don't have to install all the map segments with Mapinstall, but why not, that's the point of putting the map on the SD card. Note I have 165 segments in my 'map'.

I first renamed the giant file on the Zumo (changed the extension to .sav) and then fired up the Garmin to ensure it was working from the map on the SD card. Once I was sure all was well, I deleted the file on the Garmin.

JaVaWa can do this file mgmt. for you (ie delete the file from the Garmin)

I believe that when Mapinstaller places the file(s) on the SD card, it leaves a pointer file of some kind to tell the Garmin where to look for the map file(s).I do not think its the absence of the file on the Garmin that forces the Garmin OS to look on the card. Pure speculation on my part.

At one time I had Western North America loaded to the Garmin, and Iceland maps on the SD card, and the Garmin would switch back and forth without a problem.

All the files you named stay in the (hidden) .System folder on the Garmin. Not all of them get a date change when an update occurs. So I cant say that they are all refreshed with each update.

I have never tried restoring the Garmin from backup, so I cant help you with that.

The Javawa main screen -

VKEl3t.gif

The .System files on the Garmin

xBB7hE.gif

The files in the Garmin Folder on the SD card

yH0U1O.gif

The 'map' file is now 2.5G!! That's the 2020.1 map.

Hope this helps

-Steve

Great!

I had already downloaded JaVaWa and played with it a bit. I also used it to create a backup. Looks like it could be a useful utility.

Also found a website that provided alternate instructions for installation of the full mapset onto a SD card using Garmin Express.
From POI-factory: https://www.poi-factory.com/node/39231

I will see if I can find a 16GB card to try...

After doing nothing for two years on this, I finally got back into it when there was nothing I could do to get the full 2020.1 mapset installed - always was just able to squeak it in previously. Curiously, I could use Garmin Express to install Canada and Border States and then use Mapinstall to add all of the other USA regions without overfilling the GPS. (Although for some reason Mapinstall would not install the most recent maps to the Zumo although it was an option for SD card install) For my ancient Nuvi 765, Garmin Express provides an automatic means of installing to the SD card if there is insufficient room in main memory - not so for the Zumo 665.

Off to Costco and see if I can pick up a couple of 16 GB cards. If I am relying upon micro-SD cards, I will want to have my "in use" card and an identical backup I can fall back on in case the card gets corrupted. I have had a couple of SD cards fail in various devices.

Off to Costco and see if I can pick up a couple of 16 GB cards.
I was just there. Pairs of 64GB cards...not anywhere near 16.
Costco (Canada) lists them on their website but doesn't mean that they actually have any in stock. I'll have a look this weekend.

There are a bunch available on Amazon for pretty cheap. SanDisk, Kingston and a lot of "no name" brands.

SteveI knew I was part of this discussion before but couldn't find it!! .
If you search using My Content, you will not find older posts. Perhaps anything older than a yr? Not really sure.You need to use the full search function, and enter your username as author, to truly find all your posts.

As far as SD card size goes, I think the Zumo will just ignore anything over 16G. No empirical proof, however.

-Steve

32 Gb works. IIRC 64 Gb failed, but only because the 665 won't address more than 32 Gb.

But why bother? The 665 is a POS - I had to drag mine out of storage to verify the SD size.

There are things I dislike about the TomTom Rider:

• Fixed 5 year limit on map support and traffic reporting
  • Big-time battery sucker Android app - needed for traffic and WX reporting
  • No gas range warning
  • No altitude display (matters for anyone prone to "altitude sickness")
NTL it's definitely superior to the 665.

But all of that is for another thread...