short windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkipS

Reaction score
Just curious who has the shortish windscreen for their FJR and where it was purchased. I currently have a California scientific tinted sport screen which is about 14 inches tall. It is vented and provide less buffeting then the stock with the wind screen all the way down. I noticed when i stand on the pegs and get my helmet in clean air it is way quieter than sitting which leads me to believe that an even shorter wind screen will help get my helmet in cleaner air. is their anything shorter than 14 inches out there?

I"m pretty sure the stock Yamaha shield is the shortest one. The Cal-Sci shorty is an inch taller than the stock. If you still have the stock one, cut that down in small increments until you find what you like. I have read that people who have done that did not care for it much, YMMV. For some reason the shape/curvature of the stock screen sucks no matter how short you cut it, or even coping the Cal-Sci vent hole.

I have the large Cal-Sci screen, {which works great}, and 2 Yamaha Touring screens one of which I was going to cut down to stock-ish. size for the warmer month. But after further review I kind of lost my enthusiasm for the project. The L Cal-Sci I installed, 1 Y Touring came on the bike and has scratches all over it, 2nd Y Touring I got a steal of a deal on. So I was planning on chopping the scratched one. The Y Touring felt like someone pushing your head forward from behind. Very sucky IMO.

Maybe you could experiment shimming the front, tipping the lip down, might be an option. Google search, windshield:fjrforum.com I know people have had good luck with changing the angle with various shields.

Keep It Real!
smile.png

SkipS, yhere are short screens available from the UK. They are on Ebay and measure 11" from the top of the shield to the very top of the bottom, make sense?, where the frame work holds the shield on. The sellers name on Ebay is slipscreenslimited. I believe they have them for your '07

I took an old stock windscreen and cut it down to 12.5 from the center hole bottom of screen to top. Love it! Lots of wind at your chest and I can put the screen up and deflect it to about neck or chin area. I used to swap my screens out from stock in spring/fall, winter the huge (V-Stream) screen, and this shorty in summer. Now I just keep the shorty on year round. But I'm also in SoCal.

Last edited by a moderator:
33497d1465614244-fly-screen-installed-image.jpg
1. Cover the upper portion of the screen, or where you think you want to cut it, with painter's tape. Do a good job and make sure to overlap the rows of tape.
2. For the sides of the screen, measure from the windscreen brackets. I simply put a piece of tape against the W portion on my 2008 and it looked about what I was going for, a strip about an inch and a half wide. no matter how you measure for one side, do the EXACT SAME THING for the other side.
3. For the radius, I tied a piece of string to the BASE of a Sharpie marker. Then I took the other (the free end) end of the string and held it down near the nose of the bike, in between the headlights. I played with a few different radius shapes (radii?) to get the shape I wanted. To do this, simply hold the free end down tight and use the string as a giant compass to make your line. It's VERY IMPORTANT to tie the string to the BASE of the marker and hold it PERPENDICULAR to the screen the ENTIRE TIME YOU'RE TRACING YOUR LINE.
4. For cutting, put painter's tape on the shoe of your jig saw. This will keep it from scratching the screen as you cut. Or, you could cover the entire screen in tape.
5. To cut the screen, I used a 20 tpi blade and rand the saw on a medium high speed. Since you're trimming the screen, test the saw to see how it feels on the portion that you are cutting off before you actually get to your line. This will let you see what the saw feels like when it cutting through the screen. When you're ready, start on your line. Be sure to cut on one side of the line all the way through. What I mean is, if you choose to stay on the outer portion of the line, do so the entire length of the cut.
6. To sand the screen, USE A BLOCK with STRAIGHT SIDES. If you try to hold the sandpaper without it being tight against the block, you run the risk of the paper accidentally scratching the front or back of the screen. The area that you're sanding is very narrow, only about 1/4" or less. Take it slow. I started out with medium paper and progressed to very fine. Run your finger over the edge to check for irregularities where your cut might not have been perfect. Sand more on those areas.
7. When you have the edge nice and smooth, CAREFULLY AND LIGHTLY run the sandpaper over the "lip" of the screen to take the burr off and give it a smooth edge.
8. Carefully take a Sharpie marker and color the edge that you just sanded. Let it sit for a minute or so, then wipe away the excess ink with a clean paper towel. Repeat as often as you wish to get a dark edge. I did mine about 2-3 times before I was happy with it.
9. Reinstall and ride.

I hope this helps you, FJR Steve, and anyone else who is interested in trimming your stock or aftermarket screen. I actually trimmed a National Cycles V-Stream screen. It was WAY TOO BIG for me.

Any other questions, please feel free to ask.

MG

After sanding you could use MEK on a rag to wipe the edge to get a factory like finish.

Lots of good replies to this post so far. I think some of us like the fact that our FJR do indeed look like sport bikes instead of big fat touring bikes. That said, I had bought a C Bailey and decided to chop it to be a cafe Shield. It is 12 in tall. And has the C Bailey vent hole. I found the right kind of Krylon spray paint for that and painted the inside of the Shield black. Looks fantastic! I had cut my shield with a reciprocating sabre saw and had a little bit of a rough finish across the top. I took it to a local plastic manufacturing company and they put a factory Edge across the top made my saw cut perfect. I ride with it down almost all the time unless I'm going to be on extended Highway riding. I just got home from a 3300 mile tour through New Mexico and Arizona, and riding with the shield all the way up was just fine. Love this bike.

How is everyone cutting down the windshield? What are you using?
Used Saber saw got very rough results. Took shield to plastics company they perfected the horrible edge. Then found the Krylon paint for plastic and painted the inside black. Café shield! Looks fantastic, some loss of protection. Did I mention that it looks fantastic?! 

Buy a damaged one cheap, cut it down and paint it black.

Slow on the draw, already mentioned 

Canadian FJR
I have a Gen. 2 stock windshield that I replaced. I put it in the box the replacement came in and it is available to anyone who will pay the shipping to your place to cut down and paint. Not much good for anything else. 

My '03 has the shortest stock windshield, but that shield only fits Gen-I bikes. Still, 2 inches shorter then the '04 and '05, at least.