Monitor Pass closure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mudslide Miller

Reaction score
Can anyone in the neighborhood confirm or deny if Monitor Pass (Rt 89) is open or closed? The Caltran website pass chart shows that it opened on 4/26 but when you click on Rt 89 & go to the verbage it says that 89 is closed from 395 to Rt 4. A group of us needed to pass through there this Sunday so I wanted to be sure if it would be open or not. Thanks for any valid info. Was hoping someone could confirm that has been physically by there & seen for sure.

Monitor was open on May 5th when I took a day ride though there, road was clear with no snow. The passes are getting hammered again with snow as I type this but it would be clear enough soon, more rain rather than snow is on the way.

You’d have to take 88 across the Sierras if 89 is closed on Sunday, there are chain controls on 88 this evening but the road was clear last week also.

It's a stormy week including Sunday. Chances are 50/50 it will be open as the snow levels are between 5-6,000 feet. Monitor is 8,300. Not sure I'd want to challenge any of the passes this week on a bike. FYI if you are needing to get over the Sierras and 80 has snow Sunday Beckwourth pass on hwy 70 which is 25 miles northwest of Reno is the lowest pass in the Sierras at 5,200 feet.

Welcome to my neighborhood and good luck Miller!

Silly boy. You are only supposed to leave the comfort of Arizona during the summer! You know - like June/July/August.

Who knew May’s weather would be so shitty. I’ve crossed Monitor Pass a half dozen times at the end of May to attend the 49er Rally in the past & this is the first time I’ve had a problem. We’ve diverted our route to the west side of the Sierras. Unfortunately will have to stay out of the mtns this trip. Guess the foothills will have to do. Coast hwy on the way back. Duck duds on board!

Good move as there a winter storm watch issued for Sunday, 6 to 8 “ over the passes on Sunday and Sunday night.

Unless you enjoy riding in shitty conditions I would suggest you cancel the ride. We are supposed to have wet weather Sunday and Monday. The Sierras are to have rain/snow on Sunday and rain Monday and Tuesday.
uhoh.gif

Who knew May’s weather would be so shitty. I’ve crossed Monitor Pass a half dozen times at the end of May to attend the 49er Rally in the past & this is the first time I’ve had a problem. We’ve diverted our route to the west side of the Sierras. Unfortunately will have to stay out of the mtns this trip. Guess the foothills will have to do. Coast hwy on the way back. Duck duds on board!
There are plenty of fun backroads in the area... ask Bugnatr! ;)

Returned from our ride on Sat! Had a fantastic time. Stayed at Big Bear the previous Sat night and had to ride out of the fog on Sunday morning as the clouds were shrouding the whole mtn. Stayed in Madera the 2nd night at a real nice AirBnB house in the vineyards. The skies opened up by the time we reached Fresno on the way there. By the 3rd day and for the rest of the trip we had no more rain and nice cool temps in the 50’s, 60’s & 70’s. We rode the foothills from Madera on up. Rt 222 is an absolute hidden gem with great pavement & little traffic. We may have stretched the law just “slightly” through that section. Made our way to Seaside and spent 2 nights. Did a loop ride into beautiful farm country on G16 and across to Hwy 1 on Nacimiento Fergusson Rd (another couple of fun roads) and back up 1 to Seaside. From there it was to Atascadero via 25/198 thru Coalinga. Then to Solvang the next day to see the Motorcycle museum. This guy has a little bit of everything. If you’ve never been, I highly recommend it. They are normally only open on weekends but with prearrangement they opened it for us on Fri afternoon. From there we spent the night in Ventura and stayed the last night at Big Bear Lake again. This was a reunion of all the folks that I rode with last summer in Slovenia and Croatia, sans my brother from Ohio, whom couldn’t make it. Always love your good roads in Cali!!

Latest posts