Longer side stand?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBEmerson

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
For the second time, I put the sidestand down, only to find the bike was tilted way further over than expected, making it very, very hard to right the bike. To say nothing of thinking "a little more tilt to the left and I'm going to be buying new tupperware bits".

I have the (R&G??) footpad bit that makes the side stand foot wider, and maybe 1/8" higher. But I haven't seen or heard of an after-market longer side stand. Does such a thing exist?

If no after-market side stand exists, how much longer should the stand be to maintain some reasonable amount of lean. The BMW K1600 I spent a week on had a side stand that was just long enough to require a slope to get the bike of what looked like just short of upright. SO, there's too long and too short. What length works for the FJR?

Personally, I never had any issue righting the bike, even with a modest downslope. I would rather too much lean as opposed to too little in case I get caught on a bit of an upslope. Full disclosure - I'm fairly tall with 34" inseam. FJR is sufficiently top-heavy that I can see why some people could have a problem. It would be easier if the FJR carried its weight down lower.

Oh my gawd! It's the return of the side stand length issue! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! Nooooooo!!!!! Next will be how the side stand is defective in how far it deploys.

Moving thread to its new home and encouraging the OP to go search and see the many, Many, MANY posts, threads, and clusterfucks that have happened...particularly in the mid-years years Gen 2 days on the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well excuse me for asking what I took to be a simple "does anyone have advice about..." question. Clearly this is an offensive way to use this site. I knew there was a reason why I don't spend much time here.

Clearly this is an offensive way to use this site.
Not really, no.

But you should really reread #6 if what I said actually bothers you.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I certainly wasn't trying to offend. I was just playing a little.

But if it's going to be Serious...

The Gen2 bikes had exactly the opposite complaint. We thought those stands were too long. Sitting on the bike with the sidestand down could actually cause it to tip over to the right. The side stand did not change but the rear shock/spring sure did.

There was also an outcry about "defective" side stands. Turns out that if you leave the bike IN GEAR so it doesn't roll forward, the side stand will actually keep the bike upright. No Defect at all.

Back when Pop had his Gen2 and I had my ST1300, he often talked of cutting some length off the side stand. That's why I found it so amusing. That and the fact that my ST1300 leaned waaaay over on the side stand and it was much heavier than the FJR. My Gen3 does not lean over nearly as far as the old ST1300.

Good Gawd there is a lot of Sensitivity. Reminds me of The Princess and the Pea.

For the second time, I put the sidestand down, only to find the bike was tilted way further over than expected, making it very, very hard to right the bike. To say nothing of thinking "a little more tilt to the left and I'm going to be buying new tupperware bits".
I have the (R&G??) footpad bit that makes the side stand foot wider, and maybe 1/8" higher. But I haven't seen or heard of an after-market longer side stand. Does such a thing exist?

If no after-market side stand exists, how much longer should the stand be to maintain some reasonable amount of lean. The BMW K1600 I spent a week on had a side stand that was just long enough to require a slope to get the bike of what looked like just short of upright. SO, there's too long and too short. What length works for the FJR?
If you feel the bike leans too much try turning the handle bars full right. That will give you a more upright lean angle.

The closer you get to standing bolt upright, the easier it is to fall over on the right-hand side. Also harder to park if the pavement is not level.

Try it out and report your findings, please.