Did I ever talk about how slow these bikes are?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReRose

Reaction score
All I had to compare the FJR to was my old 1300GT beemer but I sure thought the FJR should run better. I was used to the beemer with its roll on 1st gear wheelies and a real decent lift in the 1-2 shift and a little air on the 2-3 shift. On the last ride with my friend Brian he asked if I had traction control on it and I honestly did not know. He looked up on his fone how to turn it off and to my surprise a full twist at 3500 in 1st the front lifts fairly easy and will get a little air on the 1-2 shift. It would also actually run pretty good on a standing start without go - fall flat - go - fall flat ect.

Now how to make the FJR feel real slow even with the TC off is ride the ZX14 all day and then switch to the FJR for the evening.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

or you could slide forward and lean over the tank and go wfo at about 4 k and lay down a darkie all the way thru first...[be ready to catch that fishtail]

Stay tuned. Next, someone will be trying to fit an extended swing-arm on these FJRs..
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if you bought an FJR to outrun a ZX-14 or a Busa or 160 hp liter bikes, then WTF were you thinking? Next thing we know, you're going to be bitching about how badly the FJR performs on a trials course.
rolleyes.gif

The sliver lining?

hehehe

IT'S FRIDAY! And we longer term forumites recall when a good DOGPILE lightened the week's load going into the weekend.
punk.gif

Shaft drive bikes don't wheelie. The counter-precipitating-centripital force of the shaft would created enough torque-jacking to force the bike to instantly drop on its side.

Those who have photos of wheelies have either intentionally (or accidentally) done so over irregularities in the road. What they thought was a wheelie was really a jump.

Oh, and is the OP 12?

Perhaps we misunderstand the OP's intentions here.

I see different options:

1. He is telling us that his FJR is much slower than his old BMW. This would seem obvious as everyone knows that BMW is The Best.

2. He is telling us that once he had someone smarter than him that actually could read the manual and figure out the controls his FJR was almost as fast as his old BMW.

3. He is telling us that his traction control was Very Intrusive... so I suppose that he is complaining about the FJR not being as great as his old BMW.

4. He is telling us how awesome the ZX-14 is.

It's possible I missed something.

Did I ever talk about how much I missed the old Dogpile Fridays?

The OP could be saying a few different things

1. May be the OP's 1st bike with TC and just fergetted about it but now is better educated so now the FJR got a couple more surprises it wants to show.

2. When one plays on a 14 there be lots of stuff that feels slow.

3. Beemer did not have TC and OP has decided that the FJR TC sucks. FJR lacks in power to the beemer but that is about it.

4. Do a 100 mph 2nd gear downshift and twist on the 14 then come back and look at the FJR for the extra 60 hp it is missing.

5. Could also be that the OP did not think there were any more surprises with the FJR but found out there was with the TC off.

6. FJR is really a pretty nice ride and only mods needed are tapered head bearings and comfort changes.

Mr Redfish you did not miss anything. I got even more impressed with the FJR with the TC off, the beemer had its own set of issues but also had a few more HP, get off a 14 and strait onto the FJR and it is slow yet the 14 can start a race at 150 where the FJR may not top out that fast and the last is about the only bike I want to ride anymore is the FJR. 2 weeks ago we left St Louis to get a burger and wound up in Indiana. Would not want to do that on my other bikes.

Well you are a Good Sport and I like that. Glad you are here.

FJR is not supposed to be as fast as a ZX-14. I figure the FJR is closer to the ZX-14 than it is to a GoldWing power wise but is pretty close to the GoldWing in comfort so that makes an FJR a wonderful compromise.

I disagree about the TC. Is it possible your tire is not offering enough traction? My TC is very subtle but it is usually holding the front wheel down, rarely for a spinning rear tire. Even then it is really a smooth transition, I can see the yellow light flickering at the bottom of my field of view but the bike is very smooth under me. Again, it is keeping the front wheel down more than it is keeping the rear from spinning though.

Hopefully I finish the tapered head bearing finished up Saturday on the FJR then the other bikes will sit forever again. Seems once one gets old and starts riding a sport cruiser that is pretty comfy that ride becomes the daily commute. I was amazed at the speedo with the cruise set at 100 the gps was 97. Close enuf for one to know it is go to jail time. It is fun to watch the gps try keep up with the speedo

Shaft drive bikes don't wheelie. The counter-precipitating-centripital force of the shaft would created enough torque-jacking to force the bike to instantly drop on its side.
Those who have photos of wheelies have either intentionally (or accidentally) done so over irregularities in the road. What they thought was a wheelie was really a jump.

Oh, and is the OP 12?
Presumably that is a tongue-in-cheek response?
I managed to wheelie my '18 AS (AE in the 'States).

Definitely not intentionally. Been following a line of traffic, wanting to overtake, waiting for an opportunity.

My usual habit is that, if I think an opportunity is coming, I drop a gear in preparation. Well, about three potential opportunities didn't materialise, but each time I had dropped a gear.

When finally I could do an overtake, probably in second or even first gear, I opened the throttle quite enthusiastically, and the front lifted. Felt like a foot, probably not that high. Slackening the throttle (or maybe the traction control) brought the wheel down. Oh, there were no road irregularities.

No lateral torque (why would this effect not be obvious in normal acceleration events?). Just a surprised look on my face :oops: , and a mild sphincter-clench.

Maybe slightly on topic: now it's done some miles, I feel my '18 has more "go" than any of my previous FJRs. Except in top gear, that 10% increase in gearing gives a noticeable reduction in roll-on at motorway speeds.

I bet if you went back and walk the course, you'll find something was there that helped you do your jump. If not a road irregularity, then maybe some sort of debris.

Bounce, I know it is a big joke about shaft bikes being unable to wheelie. Your Scientific Explanation in post #8 covered it pretty well.

I will seriously say that when I got my '15 it "felt" faster than Pop's '07. It certainly seemed more willing to power wheelie than the '07 ever did. I don't think I mentioned it to Pop.

When Pop had been riding the '14 for a while he told me it was faster than the '07. He says this bike will pull the front wheel and the TC catches it. His '07 never had TC and it had to be tugged a little to lift its wheel.

At one time people thought the earth was flat and at one time people thought shaft bikes could not wheelie. They were wrong on both thoughts.

Phooking Hooligans..

What's next, backing into corner and leaving Darkies?

JSNS and
fuck.gif

Hugs n' Kisses

Latest posts