Trailer Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigOgre

Reaction score
I've only bought bike tires on-line so this is new to me. I need to replace the tires on my three-rail open trailer (4.80-12). Any recommendations on where to buy? And after some searching, it seems like most offer rim and tire for roughly $20 more than the tire itself. If I'm doing my own bike tires can the trailer's be any more difficult? TIA

Can't help with where to purchase the tires. Amazon?

FWIW, I change all my vehicle tires with my HF changer. Until you get down to 50 series, car tires are easier than MC tires. Sidewalls are so flexible that they are easily kept in the center of rim. Local shop does the spin balance.

Good luck!

~G

We have a place near me called Tool Shed of America that I have bought trailer wheels and tires in the past. I have a 6 x 12 enclosed cargo trailer with 205/75/15 I think tires and I was able to buy tires and wheels already mounted form these people cheaper than I could find to just buy the tires themselves.Not sure what sizes they offer and it's been a few years but Google them. Located in Middletown, PA.

Yeah, that part about being able to buy the tires mounted on wheels for about the same price as just the tires has me scratching my head. Feels like I'm missing something but whatever. Thanks for the link though as I've been toying with picking up an enclosed. Trying to find something used or maybe even a rental for a couple of trips. Unless staying local Uhaul is just stoopid with their pricing.

I went with the Amazon wheels with tires, same size, for my old utility trailer earlier this year. They are exactly the same as what they replaced, only sparkly new. I actually needed new wheels too because the old ones had a lot of rust, but the whole wheel cost the same as just the tires and you dont have to mount the tires on the rim.

They do need to be balanced, but you can static balance them right on the axle if your wheel bearings are well broken in like mine are.

You would have to look for wheels with same bolt pattern as your trailer but can probably get a pair for about $80.

Last edited by a moderator:
My rails are mounted on what is probably used for a jet-ski trailer so no rust what-so-ever. It's in real nice shape, just hasn't seen much use in the last few years. I'm liking Geezer's link and just out of coincidence still have the tire changer bolted in place thinking I'd be changing the FJR rear after last month (go figure) so it's looking like I'll just order two tires.

I'll be replacing my 205 14" tires (bias) with radials, after reading alot on the pros and cons. On my 5 x 10 utility trailer that has been used to haul bikes.

I bought new radial tires for my Kendon trailer at Wal--Mart online. They were on sale and pretty cheap for the two trailer tires and the spare.

Shipped to my local Wal-Mart and I took the old tires/wheels in and they mounted/balanced the new tires for free.