Fly & Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panman

Reaction score
Son is buying a 2016 S-10 down in Camarillo CA and I get to do a fly and ride.

Flying into Burbank Thursday the 22nd and will most likely head up 33 and cut over to the coast and find a place for the night. Not sure how far I'll make it as have to complete the deal mount my tank bag and GPS before heading out.

Will try taking 1 north on Friday and skirt SF some how then get back to 1 and keep heading north. Sat will suck with weekend traffic but it is what it is.

If a breakfast, lunch or dinner would be interesting to anyone let me know maybe we can work something out.

Son is buying a 2016 S-10 down in Camarillo CA and I get to do a fly and ride.Flying into Burbank Thursday the 22nd and will most likely head up 33 and cut over to the coast and find a place for the night. Not sure how far I'll make it as have to complete the deal mount my tank bag and GPS before heading out.

Will try taking 1 north on Friday and skirt SF some how then get back to 1 and keep heading north. Sat will suck with weekend traffic but it is what it is.

If a breakfast, lunch or dinner would be interesting to anyone let me know maybe we can work something out.
Duane lives in Camarillo

Bugs and I will be on the north coast on our S10’s playing in the dirt somewhere, Thursday thru Sunday. Pm incoming.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking that this country boy don't want anything to do with SF on a Friday. I'm looking at by passing, haven't figured out how yet but looking.

In 76 or so I move my older sister to SF and put my old 650 Bonnie in the U-Haul, the week I was there the buses were out because of a worker strike. A million people live there and another million commute to SF and I swear they all wanted to kill me!

Dont forget golden gate is a toll bridge, and they dont take cash or cards on the bridge , you can prepay here <a href='<a href='https://goldengate.org/tolls/index.php'>https://goldengate.org/tolls/index.php</a>'><a href='https://goldengate.org/tolls/index.php'>https://goldengate.org/tolls/index.php</a></a>
Pay part is heading south not north so he should be okay...
default_wink.png

Thanks Tyler i couldn't remember which way it was

Panman - Avoiding Northern Cal on friday is not easy - its all busy - the good news is you can lane share and as its firday most of the traffic will be standing still :- haha

I actually think hwy 1 , but im clealry not the expert, is probably going to be better than 280, 101,680, 5 or 99 - you just gotta get over a bridge

Norcal - you gotta find Happy Camp and follow the road over to Grant's Pass! It's an 8 hour drive home from there.
wink.png
And the "gas station" in Happy Camp is two pumps behind a dirt berm...so there IS gas there...but it's hardly obvious!

Road from HC to GP was freshly paved about 3 years ago now - I ran that road a couple weeks after the fresh pavement went down and it remains one of the best rides of my life.
default_smile.png

Very sorry I missed you, man! I was home today, oddly enough...lol

Safe riding man!
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Duane, I should have checked but I was focused on getting out before the traffic hit. Made it to Sunnyvale just below SF. I'll be down sometime in January with the MH and the S-10, I'll see if we can grab a lunch or something one day.

Duane, I should have checked but I was focused on getting out before the traffic hit. Made it to Sunnyvale just below SF. I'll be down sometime in January with the MH and the S-10, I'll see if we can grab a lunch or something one day.
No worries Kevin - hit me up on the next run and I'll show you the local sights.
default_smile.png
We can do a breakfast at the Waypoint Cafe, then hit some tasty roads nearby!
default_smile.png

You were in my hood and I was in town!!
wink.png
He was on a mission T... hot date in Fortuna!
rolleyes.gif

~G

Hot Date? Well I did brave the traffic SF and crossed the Golden Gate Bridge! Although I was moving at 6:30 or so and got in the fast lane on 101, those folks are moving! I hadn't ever rode 1 so yesterday was the day, as soon as I crossed the bridge I headed for 1 and what fun it was. Had fun getting to Stinson Beach where I stopped for breakfast and my morning cup of coffee. I new I had to keep moving as I new Bug and Highlander would be expecting me.really enjoyed the ride up one, there were a few stops for construction and a few rigs to big for the road but I enjoyed the ride up. and that last 20 miles going to Leggett was a hoot! Not sure what I'll tell my son, I guess I'll just point at the chicken strips and tell him his almost new MC is broken it.
default_smile.png

Had a nice dinner with Dave, Doug and Fast Eddie, after dinner Eddie split and we talked for an hour or so in my room and the hit the hay. Next morning we said or good by's and went our separate ways.

I rode the coast as far as Reedsport and could see the coast traffic was going to piss me off so I took 38 following Umpqua River. This is a nice ride very tranquil.

After 547 mile I called it quits in Centralia.

Anyone need me to do a fly and ride, been a fun few days!

Good to see you and Eddie.

We stayed near the coast all day before a great lunch in Shelter Cove and finally headed east about 5:30. It worked as not too much heat and the night riding in the forest for 85 miles of dirt was a treat. Got home at 1am this morning, Dave still had 2 hours to go to Carson city. Today was epic S10 riding Kevin, I'll fill you in at the Ruben.

Oh yeah, the lights are the bees knees.

Good to see you and Eddie.
We stayed near the coast all day before a great lunch in Shelter Cove and finally headed east about 5:30. It worked as not too much heat and the night riding in the forest for 85 miles of dirt was a treat. Got home at 1am this morning, Dave still had 2 hours to go to Carson city. Today was epic S10 riding Kevin, I'll fill you in at the Ruben.

Oh yeah, the lights are the bees knees.
You heading back down this way after the RR?