Cracked Fairing Panel After Service Visit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBound

Reaction score
So I took my '16 ES in three weeks ago for spark plugs, TBS, air filter, lube everything that relies on grease, and diagnose a 40-MPH head shake with fresh tires. A long misadventure ensues -- they return the bike to me with the CEL lit (and greasy handprints all over the bike). It's 4:00 on Saturday, so they keep the bike; I Uber home. They clear the dreaded "side-stand" interlock code and deliver the bike the following Tuesday.

The following weekend I go for an entertaining ride, then give the bike a quick cleaning, whereupon I discover an inch-long crack in one of the flat-black panels that comprise the fairing (inside the cockpit).

My question: how much disassembly of the fairing did they have to do while performing the work described above? Your answer will help me to gauge the likelihood that it's the shop's fault.

Second question: If any of you mechanically-skilled FJR pilots in the Denver area hold a wrenching seminar ...can I join you? The shop I went to is supposedly the best dealer in town, which is faint praise indeed. (The best-regarded independent shop in town managed to re-install the front wheel of my Super Tenere in such a way that the lead from the speed sensor came into contact with a brake rotor, rendering the bike with no ABS and no cruise control, 200 miles into a five-day trip.)

Thanks!

Not sure if this helps but I just had my first service on this FJR completed on Friday.

In order to save billable time and also to ensure no damage like you described I removed both side fairings, lower gas tank plastic piece and the three inner black plastic pieces around the gauges and glove box.

This also gave me an opportunity to inspect everything is neat and tidy in there before the fairing goes back on.

If I scratch or break something then it is on me.

The only reason I brought it to the dealer is to keep Yamaha Canada happy in case I ever need to rely on my extended warranty.

For your viewing pleasure:

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
I see I have three options when we get to 26,600 miles...

1. Sell the bike.

2. Find a mechanically skilled FJR owner to "help me" inspect the valves.

3. Roll the dice.

I'm guessing it will be #3...

I do. Um... I haven't posted a photo on a forum since photobucket started making that impossible. What's the current strategy? Thanks!

My heart goes out to you. Great response from the dealer. Hope the slacker mechanic responsible for the very sloppy work got canned. I fix/maintain everything I can and roll the dice on some things. One example is the call to replace the brake lines at a certain point. I have flushed/bled the brake lines, but full replacement of the lines seems like overkill proscribed by some legal expert to avoid litigation.

So, having watched most of the YouTube video of the valve check procedure posted by Canadianf FJR, I wonder... it looks as though the shop need not have disassembled the Tupperware to get to the spark plugs and do the TBS. I'm perfectly content to blame them for returning the bike to me with the CEL lit, but if they didn't disassemble the fairing, I can't blame them for the crack. It may all be a moot point; I'm not taking the bike back to them, and unless it travels, I can live with the crack. I guess the real test comes when I next need tires...

Time to find a friend who likes to work on bikes more than you do.

I have a local FJR group that teaches me something new each year...

and I belong to the www.cog-online.org (concours) club that meets for rides and tech regularly.

Join 1 or both groups and you will find most folks can do most maintenance with a little supervision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Time to find a friend who likes to work on bikes more than you do.
THIS!

My suggestion: go to FJR owners gatherings. Meet people. Make friends with people. Host a Tech Day.

My experience: I've been called a lot of things in my life. A skilled mechanic ain't one of 'em. Rewind to CFR 2010 up in Quebec. During a conversation with raYzerman, I mention that I have a set of Admore lights and I can't figure out how to wire them. He threatens to show up at my home and just install the damn things. Fast-forward to 2019: Sooze and I are going to host Tech Day XIX in just over a month.

Also, several years ago, I got to know a guy who had recently bought a FJR. He happened to live close by. He happens to like beer. I like beer. He has a NoMar in his garage. That is what you call a win-win right there.

Latest posts