Engine Coolant

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR
Reaction score
Fresh coolant change and the bike needs a small amount added to the reservoir tank now that it gas gone through several heat cycles. New coolant is Yamacool. Any issues if I top the tank up with the Honda pre-mix stuff. Just because I have a half litre in the garage.

Canadian FJR

Fresh coolant change ....New coolant is Yamacool. Any issues if I top the tank up with the Honda pre-mix stuff.
What's the specific color of the Honda? Does it match the color of the Yamacool? No? And you know that Yamacool has been changing colors over the years as well?

I wouldn't risk it and would add distilled water or more of the same coolant.

Alternatively, go Google and become an expert on chemistry/color over the years. Good luck finding it all in one place.
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Fresh coolant change and the bike needs a small amount added to the reservoir tank now that it gas gone through several heat cycles. New coolant is Yamacool. Any issues if I top the tank up with the Honda pre-mix stuff. Just because I have a half litre in the garage.Canadian FJR
In my experience, when the engine is cold, there is no point topping the reservoir beyond about 2/3 up between the min and max marks. Any more, and it tends to disappear with a few more heat cycles. After that it remains stable indefinitely.
[edit]

My four FJRs each had its own "preferred" level, this was my '06, about 1/3 up from the min mark:

(Click on image for larger view)

[/edit]

distilled water only, Never mix coolants. After a couple heat cycles all the water will be mixed in.

If it is a small amount that has to be added, (less than a couple hundred millilitres), just use distilled water as suggested, above. Freezing point, boiling point and anticorrosion properties won't be affected too much. If more than that is required, I think I would use the matching product. While "they" claim that the OAT (organic acid technology) and the "conventional" coolants are now compatible, that wasn't always the case and I would be very cautious. (I think Yamacool is OAT; don't know about Honda) Why take a chance?

HP Coolant • Exclusive formula developed by Honda R&D. • Specifically designed for use in aluminum engines. • Uses high-tech organic corrosion inhibitors instead of more commonly used silicate corrosion inhibitors. • Unlike silicates, HP Coolant’s organic corrosion inhibitors won’t gel and cause radiator plugging. • They are also more stable for a longer shelf life and don’t act as abrasives to mechanical water-pump seals, which may cause leaky seal

Yamacool - A specially-formulated ethylene glycol based antifreeze, with a 60/40 ratio coolant/water mixture. Pre-blended to ensure it is easy and ready to use.

According to the Yamacool SDS, it contains "Hydrated inorganic acid and organic acid salts". This is the corrosion inhibition package. The actual "antifreeze" is ethylene glycol.

The Honda SDS is essentially identical! Same description for corrosion inhibitors and the ethylene glycol as the base.

It appears that they both may have come out of the same factory although the exact formulations are proprietary. Just because the generic descriptions are very similar doesn't guarantee compatibility. Concentration ranges are slightly different and the Honda product contains a "bittering agent" - to make it taste bad to keep dogs, kids and winos from drinking it.

Yamacool SDS

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/docs/MSDS_Yamaha_Yamacool.pdf

Honda premix SDS

https://products.petrochoice.com/system/documents/2580/1/nr-honda-Honda_Long_Life_Antifreeze___Cooalnt_Type_2_50_50_Prediluted__2_.pdf?1436284069