2006 heat / TB sync

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azsporttour

Reaction score
I have an 06 with 3000 on it, did its first TB sync last weekend. It was out quite a bit according to my Motion Pro cheapo. I tried to achieve a happy medium between idle and 2500. Afterwards, it ran noticeably smoother in the 4K range, and even shifted a bit better. After coming home today, I felt the frame just forward of my knees and found it so hot I couldnt leave my hand there. Granted, I live in Phx and it was 75 today, but it seems odd. I dont remember feeling this area before, so I dont have much of a baseline. I do know that a good sync would cause my ST13 to run a good bit cooler...

Anyone else notice this or have any input?

Thanks,

Kevin

I have an 06 with 3000 on it, did its first TB sync last weekend. It was out quite a bit according to my Motion Pro cheapo. I tried to achieve a happy medium between idle and 2500. Afterwards, it ran noticeably smoother in the 4K range, and even shifted a bit better. After coming home today, I felt the frame just forward of my knees and found it so hot I couldnt leave my hand there. Granted, I live in Phx and it was 75 today, but it seems odd. I dont remember feeling this area before, so I dont have much of a baseline. I do know that a good sync would cause my ST13 to run a good bit cooler...Anyone else notice this or have any input?

Thanks,

Kevin
AZ,

Funny you should ask this. After putting in new plugs in my FJR and then decided to do a TBS just to make sure there were no changes, I found my FJR running hotter (about 3 bars in cold weather/ normally 2 bars) and thought this was strange. It ran fine with no vibration but decided to redo the TBS again. (Baselines are hard to come by!)

After the 2nd TBS and some recalibrations, I am back to what I feel a cooler running bike...back down to 2 bars while running on an '03.

The TBS was done at about 1100 rpm then about 3000rpm and then 1100 rpm where the final sync settings were established.

Don't asked me how or why this happened, but redoing a TBS did make the bike run cooler.

Hope this helps.

I've seen other comments on this as well but I've always wondered why as my impression is the thermostat controls the engine temperature not the throttle body sync. Same as when someone will say their bike/car runs cooler using XXXX oil?? I can see the oil running cooler but the coolant temperature is contolled by the thermost is it not? I would think the only time we would notice it is if the engine temperature exceeded the cooling systems ability to get rid of the heat. Apologies if this is off-topic.

A TB or carb sync will not make the engine run hotter than normal - however an out of sync engine can run cooler than normal by running rich. It would take a hell of a lot to make a registering difference though.

I would say it's just in your head, or you simply never noticed before.

I did an oil change yesterday and noticed a 'new' noise on the way in this morning - My first reaction was it had something to do with the oil change, but I know better. It was my keys.

Hey Kaelaria, still around after the beating you took on the "new members forum"? Good on ya!! First oil change already so you're getting some miles on her.

Last edited by a moderator: