04 has the disease !!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIGHLANDER

naewittyshitepostedeere
Reaction score
As I suspected for a while, my 2004 has the dreaded tick. I finally put it in the shop for official opinion and it's confirmed. Cylinders 1 & 3 have bad guides and all 4 seals are bad. It started about 26K and now at 37K it sounds like it has no oil in the top of the motor after it warms up. At cold idle there is barely a tick, but after a few miles it's a hell of a noise.

I guess I join the growing collective of Tickers, I bet in the local Norcal group of about 25 "regulars " there's about 6 repaired tickers so far. :angry2:

As I suspected for a while, my 2004 has the dreaded tick. I finally put it in the shop for official opinion and it's confirmed. Cylinders 1 & 3 have bad guides and all 4 seals are bad. It started about 26K and now at 37K it sounds like it has no oil in the top of the motor after it warms up. At cold idle there is barely a tick, but after a few miles it's a hell of a noise.I guess I join the growing collective of Tickers, I bet in the local Norcal group of about 25 "regulars " there's about 6 repaired tickers so far. :angry2:

It's jealous. You shoulda drop kicked it to the curb when that faster blue jobbie showed up. ;)

Bummer mang! Sorry to hear. At least it now seems that they have parts that will ensure it won't happen again.

I think my newer 12,000 mile FJR#2 may be a ticker (04 w/abs), and am still undecided whether FJR#1 with 95k miles is or not.

Yeah it's a bummer but at least the shop's fixed a few before and knows the system and how to work Yamaha. My 04 now is headless... sitting next to Uberkul's headless 05 ! :angry:

I remember hearing it at WFO and Pegscrapers IIRC. Sounds like you have it at a decent shop which is the most important piece of the puzzle.

Next up will be MM2. :angry:

Next up will be MM2. :angry:
Maybe, if he still had his '04. He and Slick can't keep one on its wheels long enough to develop old age problems. :rolleyes:

How is it being covered? Do you YES or is Yamaha picking up the bill - as they should for this known problem?
Either way, I can't remember a documented case where Yamaha didn't pick up the cost, YES or not. Some dealers and regional peeps were squirmy, but Cypress hasn't denied any claims that I've heard of yet.

Well look @ the bright side bro....you do have a newer one to ride while it's being repaired.....so at least you won't suffer any down time as far as riding goes :rolleyes: ....

Either way, I can't remember a documented case where Yamaha didn't pick up the cost, YES or not. Some dealers and regional peeps were squirmy, but Cypress hasn't denied any claims that I've heard of yet.
Well, Yamaha may be up to the job, but let's just say I'm having a less than favorable time with my local shop(s).

Granted, I do live in the middle of nowhere, but I haven't found one yet that will even look at my bike (or even walk out to the parkinglot for a listen) without $50/hour or more... :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
but I haven't found one yet that will even look at my bike (or even walk out to the parkinglot for a listen) without $50/hour or more..
That does suck. I feared the same, but thanks to Mike H I may have found a place to go if required. Fingers crossed.

The dealers close to me know squat about the FJR, but lots about selling Yamahas.

The dreaded tickis just one reason I have talked my wife into keeping my older bike...might need it for a few weeks if I ever get the tick...yeah, that my story and I am sticking to it.

Well, Yamaha may be up to the job, but let's just say I'm having a less than favorable time with my local shop(s).
Granted, I do live in the middle of nowhere, but I haven't found one yet that will even look at my bike (or even walk out to the parkinglot for a listen) without $50/hour or more... :angry:
My shop told me, if everything was in tolerance, I would have to pay for the inspection.

I told them to just get ride of the noise.

IIRC, several guides were out and Yamaha picked up the tab. Everything. Even 10W30 oil listed on the paperwork.

If you do not want to risk the cash, pull your header and look for any oil around the exhaust port (especially #1).

It could only come through an oversized gap between the valve and guide.

If it is far enough along to see that, no worries your guides are way out of tolerance and rattling around in there.

ALSO, anyone having their valves redone. THEY ALWAYS FORGET TO ORDER THE NEW HEADBOLTS. They can not be recycled.

Some persistant questioning will save you a couple weeks in the shop! Something like, "may I see the parts list? ", may work.

Found this on ebay. Looks like someone had a ticker and had the whole head replaced. Wonder what the story behind that is.