No brake light, no dash light, no glove box solenoid

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunMD

Reaction score
NEWS FLASH! The labels inside the fuse box on the Oh-Five (at least on mine) are crap.

Imagine my surprise when the brake light, back-light for the dash, and the solenoid for the glove box all stopped working. CRAP. The fun part was opening the glove box to remove the screw in the Tupperware in order to get to the fuse box. But the fuse for the glove box solenoid was blown...but I have to open the box to get the plastic off in order to reach the fuse box...but the solenoid fuse is blown...but I have to get to...AHHHHH. Phuck, Yamaha, could you have put a few more obstacles between me and those fuses?

Anyway, the interesting part is this: The fuse labeled "Signal" (it's a 15amp) was the culprit. Mind you, the turn signals were working like a champ. Go figure.

Moral of the story you ask?

1. Check all of the fuses. (even if it seems illogical based on the labels)

2. The "Signal" fuse covers the brake light, glove box, and dash lights.

NEWS FLASH! The labels inside the fuse box on the Oh-Five (at least on mine) are crap.
Imagine my surprise when the brake light, back-light for the dash, and the solenoid for the glove box all stopped working. CRAP. The fun part was opening the glove box to remove the screw in the Tupperware in order to get to the fuse box. But the fuse for the glove box solenoid was blown...but I have to open the box to get the plastic off in order to reach the fuse box...but the solenoid fuse is blown...but I have to get to...AHHHHH. Phuck, Yamaha, could you have put a few more obstacles between me and those fuses?

Anyway, the interesting part is this: The fuse labeled "Signal" (it's a 15amp) was the culprit. Mind you, the turn signals were working like a champ. Go figure.

Moral of the story you ask?

1. Check all of the fuses. (even if it seems illogical based on the labels)

2. The "Signal" fuse covers the brake light, glove box, and dash lights.
Right, what else would that mean anyway.... :rolleyes:

Damn Gun, sounds like you've been having one hell of a time with your FJR lately! Maybe its time to cage it to work for a little while. Let this bad karma go away.

Did you ever find out why the fuse blew in the first place? Don't want that to happen again on a dark and dreary night.

Did you ever find out why the fuse blew in the first place? Don't want that to happen again on a dark and dreary night.
Yes, I did. It was the 15 amp fuse in the slot labeled "Signal" that was blown. I replaced it and all was well again. But come on, why would the fuse marked "Signal" A.) Have nothing to do with the turn signals, and B.) Control the brake light, dash light, and solenoid for glove box??

You can see why I was surprised. <_<

i cant wait for the day when i blow a fuse at night and i have to get out my tool kit and flashlight to change a frekin fuse.

i cant wait for the day when i blow a fuse at night and i have to get out my tool kit and flashlight to change a frekin fuse.
While this link won't help the 06/ 07 owners, everyone should be familiar with the dash panel removal / install process BEFORE you get stuck on the side of the road at 2am in the rain. Oh, and you DO carry a 4mm Allen wrench, right? :dribble:

Suffice to say that reaching the fuse box kinda sucks.

Another good reason to yank the GB solenoid and toss, one of my first operations performed on the Frankster.

...The fun part was opening the glove box to remove the screw in the Tupperware in order to get to the fuse box. But the fuse for the glove box solenoid was blown...
Okay, I'm confused here (so what else is new? :) ). I don't remember that taking off the A panel on my '05 requires access to the glove box. Which screw are you're referring to? Have I really been overlooking something when removing the plastic after all this time? :unsure:

...The fun part was opening the glove box to remove the screw in the Tupperware in order to get to the fuse box. But the fuse for the glove box solenoid was blown...
Okay, I'm confused here (so what else is new? :) ). I don't remember that taking off the A panel on my '05 requires access to the glove box. Which screw are you're referring to? Have I really been overlooking something when removing the plastic after all this time? :unsure:
In this image it is item number 69:

partimage.gif

EDIT: SHIT! After looking at this diagram I think I was mistaken...it looks like I didn't need to remove that screw after all. Glad I didn't break my glove box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I did. It was the 15 amp fuse in the slot labeled "Signal" that was blown. I replaced it and all was well again. But come on, why would the fuse marked "Signal" A.) Have nothing to do with the turn signals, and B.) Control the brake light, dash light, and solenoid for glove box??

Sooooo,....You'r still really not shure WHY the FUSE blew ??

-Don

Sooooo,....You'r still really not shure WHY the FUSE blew ??

-Don
That's correct...I'm not sure what the cause was. I recently cut the wires to my Back-Off module in order to install my Cruise Control (Thanks kaitsdad and beeroux) and there MAY have been some "bad touching" going on back there. I taped up the ends of the wires to to be sure. There wasn't like a mile of copper exposed or anything, but I didn't originally cover the ends of a couple of the wires like I should have so that may have been the culprit.