New rear wheel bearing required?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AArnie

Reaction score
Hi,

I've not had a shaft driven bike before, so am not sure on this one.

Should there be any play in the rear wheel at all when grabbed from each side and rocked. I can feel a very slight knock. In my experience, it means a new wheel bearing is needed. Is this likely to be the case, or can there be some play in the final drive/wheel? FJR1300 UK 2003

Many thanks.

AArnie

Hi,

Should there be any play in the rear wheel at all when grabbed from each side and rocked. I can feel a very slight knock. In my experience, it means a new wheel bearing is needed. Is this likely to be the case, or can there be some play in the final drive/wheel? FJR1300 UK 2003

Many thanks.

AArnie
There is no side play on the rear wheel of my '05. You sure the axle nut is tight?

Just to make sure we're not losing something in the translation of the King's English.... :D

AArnie, there *is* a bit of free movement in the wheel in it's normal rotational movement (like when the engine is off, bike is up on it's centerstand and in gear), but as Geezer correctly observes, you shouldn't be able to grab both ends of the tire at and feel side-to-side movement.

Hi,

Many thanks.

AArnie
AArnie How many miles are on the bike? Normal wheel bearing life is between 30 and 50 thousand miles. I recommend you check your bearing when you change tires. One method to determine if your bearing is wearing out is to spin the wheel by hand and place a long screw drive or a stethoscope against you ear and listen to the sound coming from the bearing area. Place the listening device against the axle and listen. If the bearing is OK It will sound like a smooth whirring sound. If the bearing is worn It will sound like a bunch of marbles in a can, a definite grinding sound. If you replace bearings always replace the whole set. I recommend using original manufacturers bearings because they are very high quality. Good Luck.

The bike has around 14.5k mls on the clock, everything is tight, but it had been standing. I'd didn't think of using a srewdriver to listen in - I'll give it a go.

many thanks

AArnie