Rear Pinion Seal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
Clearly, FJR rear end failures are not very common. The sky is NOT falling, but I thought this posting to another place was informative and have copied.

My ride down to Jacksonville was pretty uneventful until I stopped to get a room, this is when the BMWish visions began. It was a cool start to my ride leaving Massachusetts at about 3:30pm in 20 degree blustery snow squalls. My next stop was in Virginia for gas, I then traveled to Emporia, VA and decided to call it a night at about 11:00pm. I went into the Fairfield Inn got my room walked out to the bike and had a mild panic attack followed by language that would make a Times Square hooker blush. There under my bike's rear final drive was a puddle of oil the size of a large BMW Roundel, I *^%) you not!. I swear that is the vision that I saw it was about 15" in diameter, and it was PULSING in these huge letters B-M-W.........HA!HA!HA!
Then I blinked and it was gone, the letters not the oil leak. I could hear all the BMW riders out there who experienced rear end failures, saying we have been vindicated!!! At Yamaha's expense, we told you so! Any way there was not a lot that I could do at the moment so I went to bed. Wake up at 6:00 am but the only dealer I can find is 45-50 miles to the north in Colonial Heights, VA. Burcham Cycles, INC. which doesn't open until 9:00am. So off I go after checking the oil level in the final drive, I still have about an inch in there good enough for me to travel the distance.

I get there and they bring my bike in pretty quick. After an hour or so the tech says he thinks it is a pinion seal the (good news), the (bad news) he doubts they have one for the FJR as it is not a common problem so he says? Another half an hour passes and they say there are 5 of them showing on the parts inventory great news......but then they can't find them because they just moved into this temporary space while their new building is being built (; 10-15 minutes go buy and they locate them. I buy 2 one to have installed and 1 to take along as a spare. The Sun begins to shine again! Another hour and I am out of there. $130.00 for labor a!

nd $25.00 for parts and oil.

Talk about total relief, man I was sweating it there for a little while. All in all it was a good trip met some new people had some good laughs.

So you FJR jockey's out there may want to change out that pinion seal when you get chance, it is not that involved, you will need a 22mm deep well socket to remove the seal, it is now part of my tool kit. The seal will set you back approximately $7.00. Pretty cheap if you ask me. The tech had a couple of theories as to why the seal went:1 because I went from Dino lube to Synthetic, chemical reaction. 2 because of the extreme cold the oil was to thick to move about and may have clogged the breather hole resulting in pressure build up allowing oil to blow by the seal. I guess I will never really know and at this point it doesn't matter. I have to give Burcham Cycles 2 thumbs up for taking my bike in and doing the work in a timely manner. I would definitely do business with them again. Thanks for listening.

Yo Iggy, who was it?

And which seal is the pinion seal? Is it #5, #12, #24, or #34?

partimage.gif

Thanks Rad.

I have to update my big driveshaft lube write-up where I serviced #34. At the time, I blamed some oil seepage and the resulting splooge on the wheel on that oil seal. Well, recent disassembly for driveshaft spline service and there is oil there again, though not enough to cause wheel splooge. I looked carefully at #34 which I had previously serviced and it looked absolutely fine. After studying it a while, it looked to me like the oil was seeping past #12, which eventually works it's way down to the swingarm weep hole.

I haven't been too worried as it's been doing it a while and I am not talking much seepage here, but after the above, I am starting to wonder.

Iggy's quote mentions a 22mm socket to replace, but IIRC, the service manual has a fairly detailed procedure for disassembly in this area?

It ain't so.

A single report of an FJR rear drive seal failing vs. the many cases of BMW rear-ends failing? It's like saying your Honda Accord's gas tank is going to explode because it shares the letter "o" twice with Ford Pinto.

Say it along with me, "They sky is not falling....I will not start rumors....when I make jokes I'll use copious amounts of emoticons."

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a little seepage past 24, not a big worry, only happens on long hard fast runs on hot days. So it leaks all the frikken time... :p The socket would be for the nut (15) to remove the spline cup the driveshaft goes into, I would imagine. I can see replacing the seal without removing it, if one had to. Would have to look at the whole thing a little closer.

I wonder how many miles he had on his bike and if it had been weeping prior?

Seals don't usually just give up all of a sudden, but I guess it is possible.

Sounds like for a few bucks it would be a good idea to carry a couple spare seals. And I don't mean that in a panicy way. There are so few FJR failures, combined with the fact that the seals cost almost nothing, and take up no room, it seems to make sense.

I wonder how many miles he had on his bike and if it had been weeping prior?
Bob had 24K at pinion seal failure.

Rad is right, it's seal #12, and requires a deep socket 22mm to remove. Since I'm replacing damn near every moving part on the bike, I just ordered a new pinion seal as well. Cheap insurance, $3.50 from UM.

The sky is definitely NOT falling. Bob had 24K, which means it's a TOTAL anomoly. Ever heard of this part failing before?

I'm at 90K on the same year bike (05') and my whole rear end is bone dry. (which sick fuck makes the first joke?<G>)

GZ

The sky is definitely NOT falling. Bob had 24K, which means it's a TOTAL anomoly. Ever heard of this part failing before?
Yes! Maybe 2 or 3 times in the last 3 years, including the Euros. IMO, still not enough to be overly concerned about. It's probably the same seal as the Venture Royale and V-Max, so in total, not many failures.

I'm at 90K on the same year bike (05') and my whole rear end is bone dry. (which sick fuck makes the first joke?<G>)
Uhmmmmm, how's the FJR's final drive? :dntknw:

If you leave the door open, they will come! Its a "Forum" thing.