Lexington To Townsend

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cya Fri. AM, I'll be at a Red Roof exit #113. I know FJRocket is going to the same Roof. Think your @ exit#115 we'll find ya. What side roads to Knoxville you thinkin' of?

Yep, I'm in. Breakfast in Lexington and then play the way down to Townsend.

Brett has a good idea about doing a sort of zig zag down either side of I-75, I think. I like it!

25 and 25W seems to be the way to go. There are a couple of real interesting offshoots from that road (on either side of 75) that look like a lot of fun.

421 out of Richmond looks like a LOT of fun.

25W around London has a few offshoots on the west side of I75 that looks interesting.

25W from Jellico back to Caryville looks OK.

You guys have better ideas? Anyone have experience on these roads? Wanna go a little farther off track? Cool by me!

Brett, you mentioned meeting at Bob Evans or IHOP. I think that's Waffle House world down there, and I couldn't find ANY IHOPS in LEX. How about this Bob Evans. It's just a little farther down the Interstate, more or less on the way:

Bob Evans Farms Restaurant

(859) 293-1572

2341 Buena Vista Rd

Lexington, KY 40505

That one is off exit 110. That's easy to get to, just inside the loop. Unless you want to go downtown for some sightseeing before hitting the roads. That's OK by me, too. I'm easy.

BoB Evans Buena Vist Rd, Lexington

Now you kids get to narrow down a time. And let's be sure to coordinate EST, or IST (Indiana Stupid Time). I'm and early riser, so suite yourselves. I can always go wash the bike or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just made a run last weekend to the area........ found some great roads if you care to try some. I would HIGHLY recommend 116 out of Lake City. It's about 30 miles of very twisty riding up the montains. Some very "Dragon" like curves and pretty darn empty. 190 and 90 are also some great tuneup roads.

Road Dir Turn dir Location Miles

27 South to 627 Paris 60

627 South to 89/974 Winchester 17

89/974 S/E to Irvine 33

89 South to 421 McKee 28

421 S/E to 11 Manchester29

11 South to Barbourville25

11 South to 92 s/e 12

92 S/E to 1595 s 4

1595 South to 190 Tennessee 4

190 South to 90 w 5

90 West to 25w/9 s 9

25w/9 South to 116 w Lake City 40

116 West to 62 e 34

62 East to 61 s/w Oliver Springs8

61 S/W to 40 e 18

40 East to 58 s Kingston 5

58 South to 68 e 23

68 East to Sweetwater15

Scooter, thanks for the tips! Looks like you cut a WIDE swath riding down. Very nice.

I sure like that recommendation for the big western loop from Lake City through Oliver Springs.

Those roads around McKee, Manchester and Barbourville look nice, too! We'll see what the group wants to do.

thank "scooter cruzer", would that routing from Lexington get us into Townsend before dark? better yet, you could lead us through it.

If any of you coming into Lexington from the north on I-75 are looking for some great riding, Exit I-75 at #159 Dry Ridge. Take 22 West to 227 South, then 460 East through Georgetown to I-75.

Some refer to 227 as the Deals gap of Ky. and it was just repaved, keep an eye out for gravel though.

thanks Diesel, I wasn't coming from that direction, but I think I will now. Guess I'll have to cut Thurs. work day even shorter now.

Hello,

I live in Louisville and plan to leave Friday AM, would anyone like to meet up some where along the way? If no one is running past Louisville and Lexington is the place; please let me know where.

I would prefer to ride down to Townsend with a group of folks with the same destination as I have, Please let me know soon, as I was considering not going but have changed my mind and need to make arangments at work, I already booked the room months ago.

BTW names Mike.

Mike, I know two fjr's will be at a Lexington Red Roof exit #113 & another @ a Lexington Sherton exit# 115 we'll be meeting up on fri. AM come on over, join us

Thanks for the inputs. I might use Deisel's suggestion to get to Lexington.

BlueDevil and all...

Hope this answers the questions. Nothing is in stone, but it is great to have a plan!

Hope my links work.

Friday Morning.

Meet up at 8am EST for breakfast at BobEvans.

(Ride at 9am, for anyone not wanting breakfast)

First leg

2nd leg

3rd leg

4th leg

Overall with directions:

Directions

Let us know if this gives anyone heartburn.

Sorry, Quick, linky no worky.

Did you get the email I sent with the route pics? Just checking more to see if the mail went through with multiple pics.

And if the start time is EST, then that sounds great. That means a 7 AM start on IST.

Thanks, Quick, that link worked just fine. Have no idea why your other links don't work for me, on either of my computers.

Looks like we have another rider meeting us in LEX. He's from the other board. Has a room at the Ramada near Bob Evans. I told him we were over here, so hopefully he will chime in.

Pending is meeting up with me on Thursday afternoon, and we are riding backroads down from Cincy to Lex, too. At least that is the plan.

Correct! Pending will be riding down with Rocket. I noticed the "who & where" list has beed updated, I see I'm the only Illinois person on the list of 108, as of the end of August.

Are you guys meeting anywhere in Lexington Thursday evening?

I live in Georgetown (20 minuets North)

Diesel, it depends on how good your road suggestions are! I think we're taking as much of your suggestions as we can. I think it will probably be dark before we get to LEX. If you want to hook up for late dinner or something, that may work. We'll be headed for the Red Roof Inn up there on the NE corner of 64/75.

As it stands right now, I should be on the road by 1 (2 your time), hook up with Pending, then probably smoke the slab until south of Cincy. We should be around Cincy somewhere around 5 local time. Boy, that might suck. Maybe we should try to get out earlier than THAT! If we don't leave earlier, we may miss some prime riding, eh?

What you thing, Pending?