oh noes, brake fluid is cloudy!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huxtablejones

Reaction score
I noticed my front brake being kinda spongy on the last couple of rides, and in looking around I found that the brake fluid in the front master cylinder looks a bit like black coffee :(

Is there anything special I need to do to flush the system? Or can I do the old fresh fluid flush the old fashioned way? It's an ABS model.

:(

she's an 04, btw.
But your profile says it's an 05! :blink:

To do it per the service manual, you need a special doo-hickey to cycle the abs pump and get all the fluid out.

Not necessary IMHO, just do it as normal. Then, if you really want to, go out, ride around for a few weeks making sure to activate the abs and then do it again.

In the future, do it at least every other year and the fluid should never get too bad.

she's an 04, btw.
But your profile says it's an 05! :blink:

To do it per the service manual, you need a special doo-hickey to cycle the abs pump and get all the fluid out.

Not necessary IMHO, just do it as normal. Then, if you really want to, go out, ride around for a few weeks making sure to activate the abs and then do it again.

In the future, do it at least every other year and the fluid should never get too bad.
thanks! It's an 05, I mis-spoke :(

hmmmm..do I trust ABS enough to engage it on the front? LOL my brain says yes, my butt is saying nope.

I've had just 1 no crap gotta stop now from about 70mph and I grabbed that front brake lever and tromped on that rear brake pedal and ole Maxine shuddered, farted, and moaned and groaned - and stopped straight as an arrow w/o complaint!

I concur with both Skoot and Lor.

Just cycle the ABS a few times and re-bleed. I'm looking into an ABS doo-hickey jumper mod, so maybe we can do it right without spending big bucks on seldom used tools.

As for engaging the front ABS, don't worry, you won't / can't stoppie, and you really should learn what your brakes are capable of so when an emergency situation pops up instead of wondering how your bike works you can concentrate on staying upright and injury free.

Ya dig? Sho nuff.

GZ

I concur with both Skoot and Lor.
Just cycle the ABS a few times and re-bleed. I'm looking into an ABS doo-hickey jumper mod, so maybe we can do it right without spending big bucks on seldom used tools.

As for engaging the front ABS, don't worry, you won't / can't stoppie, and you really should learn what your brakes are capable of so when an emergency situation pops up instead of wondering how your bike works you can concentrate on staying upright and injury free.

Ya dig? Sho nuff.

GZ
Fo' shizzle! :)

When I opened it up the fluid looked fine. Weird. I guess the little sight glass must have gotten some crap on it or something, shrug. Crisis averted :)

I'm right there with ya on testing the brakes, I'm just fighting years and years of "don't lock the front" mentality. Hard to let go ;) In a real panic situation I'm grabbing for all I'm worth though, for sure. Maybe I'll give er a shot in the yard first..LOL

thanks guys!

thanks! It's an 05, I mis-spoke :(
hmmmm..do I trust ABS enough to engage it on the front? LOL my brain says yes, my butt is saying nope.
Go ahead.....I've done the ABS thing a few times, because I had to. :dribble: Long as you are not leaning, it stops quick and in a straight line! Wouldn't be without ABS!!!!! :clapping:

LC

To activate the ABS system on Gen I FJRs: Up front near the coils you will find an open four pin connector tied to the frame. You need to plug the ABS tool into this connector. The 'tool' is simply a jumper. There are four wires in the Gen I ABS test connector. The "ABS TEST COUPLER" simply consists of a jumper wire that shorts the Sky Blue wire to the Black wire to actuate the ABS solenoid, the other two wires are just used for voltage testing with a standard volt meter.

The handlebar mounted reservoir for the clutch has a metal plate just behind the sight glass that provides a reflective background allowing you to see the real color of the fluid. For some reason the reservoir for the front brake doesn't have this plate behind the sight glass making the fluid look black. Pulling the cover should reveal clear to slightly yellow fluid. In any case, the brake fluid should be changed as part of normal maintenance.

For some reason the reservoir for the front brake doesn't have this plate behind the sight glass making the fluid look black. Pulling the cover should reveal clear to slightly yellow fluid.
that is exactly what just happened to me ;) I was having nightmares of sludge covered high dollar ABS brake components.

thanks again, yall rawk .

Latest posts