Hard downshifts pt. 2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddysbike

Reaction score
Well I thought (hoped) that bleeding the clutch last week fixed the really tough-to-downshift problem I've been having on my 3 week old '07 FJR with 1500 miles.....it didn't

When the bike is cold it clunks wayyy tooo loud and lurches forward a little bit when downshifting into 1st. When riding cold its verry tough, never experienced this in all the bikes I've owned (about 8 new ones in the last 5 yrs alone) mostly Hondas but a couple Suzukis and Kawasaki's. It gets slightly better when the bike warms up but can still be as hard as when cold at times. I brought it to a local dealer last week and he said to call him if the bleed didn't work, it didn't so I did. I'll be bringing it in tommorow for warantee repair and will let you know what the problem is/was. I haven't read anybody else having this problem and I've been watching FJR forums alot before buying this, lucky me!

I plan to take it to the NC mtns next week, sure hope its just a clutch adjustment or something minor.

Adjusting the clutch lever full out to #1 helps a little and bringing it in to 4-5 makes it worse, weird it should just be a reach adjustment but maybe the longer throw allows for more disengagement?

The tight throttle is starting to bug me like most you also.

Aside from that I love the bike.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
I notice a lurch when going into first from neutral at times as well. I also get stuck in a gear sometimes when stopped, and have to cycle the clutch in and out to get it to shift while stopped. It's never been a problem while the bike is moving. It is definitely smoother once the bike is warmed up, but I thought that was just natural...

My '07 does that also. It has 1100 miles. I'm convinced it's sticky clutch plates. When it's cold, work the clutch handle a couple times while warming up, then blip the throttle pretty good. You'll feel it release. Then it will snick into 1st gear pretty nicely. When coming up to a stop, pull in the clutch and blip the throttle. You feel it let go. Once warmed up it's fine. I'm hoping they will improve over time. If you hear different from your dealer regarding a warranty remedy, I'll be real interested also.

My 06 did it until it was broken it at about 5k miles. Ride it and that should work itself out.

I notice a lurch when going into first from neutral at times as well. I also get stuck in a gear sometimes when stopped, and have to cycle the clutch in and out to get it to shift while stopped. It's never been a problem while the bike is moving. It is definitely smoother once the bike is warmed up, but I thought that was just natural...
+1 and mine's an '04. 14,000 miles and it still does it sometimes. (I just cycle the clutch and it shifts; happens even when moving, sometimes.)

Clunking into 1st is par for the design. Does it on my 2003. Did it on my 3 different flavors of Gold Wings. I don't (didn't) have a problem with difficulties in shifting (other than typical into 1st/Neutral at a stop light). But that clunk was something I attributed to wet clutch + shaft drive + cut of the gears.

Well I thought (hoped) that bleeding the clutch last week fixed the really tough-to-downshift problem I've been having on my 3 week old '07 FJR with 1500 miles.....it didn'tWhen the bike is cold it clunks wayyy tooo loud and lurches forward a little bit when downshifting into 1st. When riding cold its verry tough, never experienced this in all the bikes I've owned (about 8 new ones in the last 5 yrs alone) mostly Hondas but a couple Suzukis and Kawasaki's. It gets slightly better when the bike warms up but can still be as hard as when cold at times. I brought it to a local dealer last week and he said to call him if the bleed didn't work, it didn't so I did. I'll be bringing it in tommorow for warantee repair and will let you know what the problem is/was. I haven't read anybody else having this problem and I've been watching FJR forums alot before buying this, lucky me!

I plan to take it to the NC mtns next week, sure hope its just a clutch adjustment or something minor.

Adjusting the clutch lever full out to #1 helps a little and bringing it in to 4-5 makes it worse, weird it should just be a reach adjustment but maybe the longer throw allows for more disengagement?

The tight throttle is starting to bug me like most you also.

Aside from that I love the bike.

Steve
Steve,

I've also noticed something similar on my 3 wk old '07 (with, oddly enough, 1500 miles on it). When I pull in the clutch, there is a delay in disengagement (but technically that engages the clutch, I realize). Very apparent when decelerating. I was also thinking about bleeding it, but will hold off until I hear more from you about suspected cause.

Best,

The main problem has been downshifting through the gears while riding i.e. 5th to 4th 4th to 3rd etc. Sometimes, worse when its cold I have to really push hard/stomp on the lever to get it to shift. Not a good thing when your trying to setup for a brisk pace corner and your not into gear in time for the corner.

I hate to say this but the problem may have started when I changed oil at 100 miles and went to Rotella and Purolator filter. I've always broken in my bikes with motorcycle oil for 4k miles then switch to Rotella. I hate to change this to a oil thread but the problem continued so I changed the oil/filter again at 800 miles (to Rotella synthetic this time) and its continued. After having no luck bleeding the clutch I decided to take it to the dealer at 1700 miles but figured I should change back to Yama lube 20-40 and Yamaha OEM filter so they wouldn't give me a hard time about aftermarket parts and warranty. I then decided to take it for a ride to see and was suprised to feel easy shifting. That was last night and it may just be becuase the bike was still warm after oil/filter change. I didn't ride it to work today but will take it out for a good ride when I get home. If it is the oil I'll be really suprised as I have never had a problem with any oil on any bike but his is my first Yamaha.

Where is a good place online to order Yama lube and filters? the local (S)dealer charged me $40 for 4qts and filter.

Steve

It's not the oil. Have you disassembled the shifter assembly for a clean and lube? This is the source of many hard/poor shifting complaints in my experience.

I am confiedent it's NOT the oil. Oil is oil. Many around here, including me have been using Rotella for thousands of miles with no ill effects. I use the dino version and at 15W-40, is extremely close in viscosity to the spec'd Yamalube's 20W-40.

Second, even with the Purolator and non-brand oil, there are no warranty issues, and if anyone tried to tell me there were the last thing they would see would be the bird on my way out never to return again.

Third, try FJRGoodies.com or University Motors if you must have Yamalube and OEM filters. Cheap prices, but obviously some shipping charges.

Daddysbike:

I had the same problem. Originally posted on September 26, 2006. The thread title was "Suspected Clutch Problem" I'm sorry I don't know how to put a link in this reply. Take a look at post 19. I found the old thread by searching on the word "downshift" and by my screen name "dhalen32". The fix was easy. The dealer and Yamaha made it happen. They disassembeld the clutch and soaked the friction plates for 36 hours. When that did not cure the problem they kept it another day and disassembled and cleaned and/or rebuilt the clutch slave cylinder. It downshifts perfectly now. Good luck.

Dave

One thing that i noticed on my 175 km old 07' last nite that really did not impress me was the amount of lever travel between 1st and 2nd when she's just sitting(not running),...the lever will move down/up like 1"+,.... just seems like way too much before either engagement. My reason for getting down and checking(other than looking over every Sq inch of the bike) is that the shifting is NOT what i'd hoped for. To qualify myself i come from a 600R(not R6) which has a tranny that does not tolerate inattentive shifting but worked as well when she was traded 4 mths ago as when i picked her up in April of 03'. I'm not into the preload the shifter program but will be toeing up the slack for my next few rides to see how its goes.

-WHEN it stops snowing :angry:

-Don

My '06 can be a real bitch to down shift at times. I am just over 5K miles now, and I don't hink it is getting any better. I will be very interested to see what other members find out.

I will say that starting the bike for the very first time when it is cold by shifting into 2nd, and then down to first has lessened the initial CLUNK quite a bit.

I've had a few bikes that would sometimes lurched badly when shifting to first at a stop. Dirty oil would certainly excaberate the issue on my Concours. But the biggest thing I found that helps is simply letting the bike warm up before riding it. Also, good advice above about working the clutch a couple of times.

For those that are downshifting multiple gears at a stop..don't. Trying to force the bike thru multiple downshifts at a stop could potentially damage a shift fork.

For whatever reason sticky linkage seem like a common trouble point on the FJR. Mine hasn't shown this particular symptom yet. But I plan to pull the linkage apart and clean and lube it when I do the R1 linkage mod which will be very soon because I don't care for the long throw of the stock set-up.