Tire Changing with the MojoLever

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickster

Reaction score
I received my MojoLever from Mitch.

Clicky

Using a Harbor Freight tire changer setup, the MojoLever workes as advertised! Very easy.

I've only changed a few tires with the mojolever -- but beats the crap out of everything else I've ever used to include the HF lever, rim protectors, the no-mar mount/de-mount bar.

:thumbsupsmiley: I vote 2 thumbs up.

Demount end (nylon)

image003.jpg

Mount end:

image004.jpg

I just got mine last week. Great service and well made.

Now I just need to wear out my stockers......

Just wanted to add a little bump for the Mojolever.

I did a little Forum research and decided to take a chance on the Harbor Freight tire changer. Realizing from my research that I would need a separate "mount/dismount" bar I looked up Mitch Patrie and his Mojolever. Though reticent to simply send a check to some guy who promised to send me a trick little nylon coated bar, I bit the bullet and went for it.

I have to say, first of all, how happy I was to receive the bar days before my check cleared, but also, after having gotten around to using said bar, this is worth every penny.

Well made. Heavy as hell. And best of all, works as advertised. Mitch also sells little nylon blocks meant to trick out your Harbor Freight tire changer as well as wheel weights. All first class stuff.

Check him out.

JSNS

Mark

Just wanted to add a little bump for the Mojolever.
I did a little Forum research and decided to take a chance on the Harbor Freight tire changer. Realizing from my research that I would need a separate "mount/dismount" bar I looked up Mitch Patrie and his Mojolever. Though reticent to simply send a check to some guy who promised to send me a trick little nylon coated bar, I bit the bullet and went for it.

I have to say, first of all, how happy I was to receive the bar days before my check cleared, but also, after having gotten around to using said bar, this is worth every penny.

Well made. Heavy as hell. And best of all, works as advertised. Mitch also sells little nylon blocks meant to trick out your Harbor Freight tire changer as well as wheel weights. All first class stuff.

Check him out.

JSNS

Mark
This is all very excellent news, Bokerfork.

I am eager to see you wield your Mojolever.

I have just the project.

I may even bring you a beverage.

The HF bar sucks so bad that my buddy and I were considering scrapping the whole thing. It was a two-man (ok two wimpy software engineers) job. The mojo-lever almost turns into a "I can do it with my numbers key pad hand only" affair.

I've not figured out how to properly use mojo lever.. Video anyone?
This one's amusing, as well as informative. Aussie way to change a tyre, includes adult beverage!

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy thread resurrection batman...
smile.png

Mojo lever works pretty well once you learn the trick(s). Modified mine slightly with a shoulder bolt and nylon spacer to work better for me.

MojoPhoto_zpsc8d6eca6.jpg

--G

I've not figured out how to properly use mojo lever.. Video anyone?
Once you figure it out, it's crazy simple. I even mount my buddy's rear Goldwing tires with it. The 'wing tires are the worst I've ever tried to do; after one of those the BT023GT rears are a snap. The real trick is to get it in place then push the bead down over the rim at least a third of the way back to the left (counter clockwise) of it. I bought a Yellow Thing (https://www.nomartirechanger.com/product_p/ac-yellowthing.htm) to help hold the bead in place as I pull the Mojo lever around. A friend can be helpful here. My biggest problem, prior to buying the Yellow Thing, was just keeping the bead down as I pulled it around.

Instructions can be found at https://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoweb.htm. I had to read them a few times and think about them carefully, but when I got it, it was one of those "Oh duh!" moments ;) Start with a front and mess with it 'til you've got it. Then you should be ready for a rear tire.

smile.png

Mojo lever works pretty well once you learn the trick(s). Modified mine slightly with a shoulder bolt and nylon spacer to work better for me.

MojoPhoto_zpsc8d6eca6.jpg

--G
You mentioned modifying your Mojolever. What did you do and why?

The reason I'm asking is that I have the Mojolever and am still having a heck of a job to keep the tire bead on the proper part of the lever (it constantly slips out of place causing me to have to give up on the mojolever a few times and finish the installation with tire irons).

This is why I'm interested in exactly what you modified and whether or not it improved the performance of the lever.

Thanks.

smile.png

--G

The reason I'm asking is that I have the Mojolever and am still having a heck of a job to keep the tire bead on the proper part of the lever (it constantly slips out of place causing me to have to give up on the mojolever a few times and finish the installation with tire irons).

This is why I'm interested in exactly what you modified and whether or not it improved the performance of the lever.

Thanks.
Look closely at the pic. Your lever doesn't have the extra shoulder bolt / nylon spacer at the very end.

The trick(s) to using a Mojolever is keeping the tire bead on the end of the lever while keeping the bead in the rim drop center. A friend with an extra pair of hands helps a lot! I located the bolt/spacer combo at the very end of the lever. Its purpose is to catch the tire bead if it slips off the end of the lever. If that happens, stop at that spot, push the tire back over the end of the lever and continue on. Much easier than having the lever pop out and needing to start over or finish with irons.

Hope this helps...good luck and don't give up!

--G

smile.png

--G

Thanks.
Look closely at the pic. Your lever doesn't have the extra shoulder bolt / nylon spacer at the very end.

The trick(s) to using a Mojolever is keeping the tire bead on the end of the lever while keeping the bead in the rim drop center. A friend with an extra pair of hands helps a lot! I located the bolt/spacer combo at the very end of the lever. Its purpose is to catch the tire bead if it slips off the end of the lever. If that happens, stop at that spot, push the tire back over the end of the lever and continue on. Much easier than having the lever pop out and needing to start over or finish with irons.

Hope this helps...good luck and don't give up!

--G
Thanks for your reply and information.

I've already made the modification (since reading your initial post) and am eager to try out your idea.

As I'm sure you already know, the Mojo lever, although a great tool, can be a SOB with heavy sidewall tires, especially on wheels still requiring an inner tube.

Thanks again,

D

Good idea on the bolt post.... a little technique that might also help is keeping the no-scuff or mojolever at a bit steeper angle. I find the HF changer a bit tall for that and it would help if it was shorter by a few inches. The No-Mar and Cycle Hill changers are lower..... meanwhile, in the past I wasn't a fan of the No-Mar bar for installs, but after watching a couple of successful installs with it, I think I'll try it again......

I just want this guy to stop by when I need a tire change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, sure, but let's see him do it with a rear T30 ...
smile.png

Well, sure, but let's see him do it with a rear T30 ...
smile.png

Well, that was weird.
uhoh.gif
Once was silly, twice was .... well ... twice as silly.