rough shift after oil change

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cctxfjr

Reaction score
changed from factory fill to Rotella at 650 miles on 06A-now notice rougher shifting first ride in lower gears anybody else with an 06-07 had this problem-I know some of the earlier bikes have not reported problems with 15/40 oil-however I noticed it right away on my 06. I plan to try Mobil one and factory oil (again) to see which one shifts the best. The bike shifts like an old R69S BMW I use to ride clunks/clatters when I shift I am use to smooth shifts on Japan bikes. I only have 1200 miles on bike but have had other new bikes that shifted smoothly from the get go. It does not appear my clutch is dragging as I can push bike in gear with clutch pulled at( least at idle speed).

I thought the same thing when mine was newer. I thought the trans was clunky. The thinner you go on the oil of course the clunkier it will be. But now after a few thousand miles I don't notice it at all. I am running 15W40 synthetic and think it's fine. Giver her some more break in time.

Another way to avoid clunkiness is to use minimum pressure on the shifter. I tend to preload the shifter before pulling in the clutch, and if you have to much presure on the shifter if forces the next gear a little to hard. Try to find the lightest shifting pressure required and I think you wil find it allot smoother.

YMMV

you did use the Rotella T 15w40 synthetic, right?

If so, add eight oz of STP oil treatment cause it adds back the zinc that will make your transmission smooth as buttah.

This is the combo I have been using in my '05 FJR for 40k miles.

you did use the Rotella T 15w40 synthetic, right?
If so, add eight oz of STP oil treatment cause it adds back the zinc that will make your transmission smooth as buttah.

This is the combo I have been using in my '05 FJR for 40k miles.
no the 15/40 is regular (what I used)--syn is 5/40--I did not want to use an additive just straight oil from a can although I may have to if thats whats it takes to shift smooth-cant tolerate the rough gear changes

Had this happen to my 86 FJ years ago. I changed the oil with Motul full synth. I then added regular dino oil and right away the bike had the same symptoms as yours. Since then I stay with whats in the bike. Make sense? I changed back to golden spectro blend and did not have any problems after that.

Mobile 1 MX4T. I have it in my FJR. I've used it in 2 other bikes with great performance and no ill effects.