ignition switch failure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Reaction score
I searched both forums until my eyes crossed looking for the thread on the temporary wiring solution for ignition switch failure on a 2003-5 FJR. I'd like to carry a copy with me on trips Thanks for any help. Ian, Iowa

What? The ignition switch is a common failure point on the Gen I bikes? I've heard of the problems on the Gen II's. Maybe I missed something?

motorcyclelarry said:
...snip all the wires and either hot wire it or snap the wires back into your own switch and off you go.

What? The ignition switch is a common failure point on the Gen I bikes? I've heard of the problems on the Gen II's. Maybe I missed something?
The ignition switch is fine on both generation bikes.

It's the ignition switch wire harness on the Gen II bikes that have left two forum members stranded (briefly) on the side of the road..... many Gen II owners find that the wire harness is apparently pulled too tight right from the assembly line, and eventually causes a short to occur.

Oh I beg to differ on this one, my good man. Mine ('03) took a shit two years ago at Americade with 12k on the clock at the time. Left me stranded. I forgot where I posted the whole debacle, but it didn't take long for people to come out of the woodwork with the same problem. I remember this distinctly, because Yamaha sent someone else's switch to the dealer so I can get out of there ASAP. Nothing like having your bike stranded at a dealer that's 300 miles from home. They sent a switch that was supposed to go to a waiting "non emergency" repair.

I also remember all these people suddenly coming fwd with the same problem. Of course by then we also found out the a ton of contact cleaner in the key hole will at least get you home.

If I'm not mistaken, I had posted on that "other" forum before it got hacked and lost all the info. Woulda been around June '05.

It's the ignition switch wire harness on the Gen II bikes that have left two forum members stranded (briefly) on the side of the road..... many Gen II owners find that the wire harness is apparently pulled too tight right from the assembly line, and eventually causes a short to occur.
Uhh, for accuracy purposes only I post this..
The problem on my Gen II, 2006A model, was not a short but rather an OPEN circuit, when the B+ wired pulled out from the ignition switch PC board, that caused an immediate 'lack of progress' down the road in a very desolate location. If, as normally, I had been on a non-groupie ride, I would have been in a 'less than desirable circumstances'.. (secondary road in Death Valley, CA, long shadows approaching,....).

..and, with due respect, I don't think that most FJR riders would have been able to troubleshoot the problem on the side of the road and get going again; I had to risk my body by flagging a guy in full size Dodge truck/camper down to get repair parts, and, in my case it took THREE folks looking at the problem, talking it out, proving the theory, and agreeing to a proposed solution to get me back on the road again..

Prologue - EVERY Gen II I've inspected for this condition has been as described above; too tight. The only reason, IMHO, that's it's not become a bigger issue is that most folks don't 'rattle' or 'stress' that connection as much as I do since I live at the end of a dirt road.

YMMV of course.

Of course, if it's YOUR butt stranded in the middle of no-phucking-where, you will quickly understand my view point! :blink:

Uhh, for accuracy purposes only I post this..
The problem on my Gen II, 2006A model, was not a short but rather an OPEN circuit, when the B+ wired pulled out from the ignition switch PC board, that caused an immediate 'lack of progress' down the road in a very desolate location. If, as normally, I had been on a non-groupie ride, I would have been in a 'less than desirable circumstances'.. (secondary road in Death Valley, CA, long shadows approaching,....).

..and, with due respect, I don't think that most FJR riders would have been able to troubleshoot the problem on the side of the road and get going again; I had to risk my body by flagging a guy in full size Dodge truck/camper down to get repair parts, and, in my case it took THREE folks looking at the problem, talking it out, proving the theory, and agreeing to a proposed solution to get me back on the road again..

Prologue - EVERY Gen II I've inspected for this condition has been as described above; too tight. The only reason, IMHO, that's it's not become a bigger issue is that most folks don't 'rattle' or 'stress' that connection as much as I do since I live at the end of a dirt road.

YMMV of course.

Of course, if it's YOUR butt stranded in the middle of no-phucking-where, you will quickly understand my view point! :blink:

Please add me to the list of those stranded, luckily not far away from family members who helped me take it to the dealer. Complete failure after turning a corner, no power no nothing. Thanks dcarver for the info, I have passed it on to the dealer.

The ignition switch on my 03 started acting up on the way to WFO and almost left me in Evanston, Wy. After checking all fuzes I douched the switch with WD40 and made :yahoo: it to Park City. Twice more on the way home and at a gas stop I got it on for the last time and the rest of the way I used the kill switch and used my spare key to open the gas cap.When Mad Mike and I got to my shop I shut it down with the key and have tried to restart but the last start was in Baker City,Or. New switch from my dealer 143.08. New switch from U motors 89.98. :)

That is great that you found the common reason for the problem . But you are in error in say "the wire is to tight".

The real problem is the the wire is to short a measurement error in design and QC did not pick it up in production.

not enough slack