troubles with new 07

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okmac

Reaction score
I mentioned that I was having some problems with my bike under the thread "Motorcycle Consumer News" and Twin thought I should start a new thread . I am doing so as others may be interested in what is happening with a new bike.

Instead of me typing all the info over again ,I'm lazy , if you read the thread Multi Function Display error code you will be mostly up to date as to what has been going on. Rad was entirely correct when he told me to take it back to the dealer.

The bike was taken to the dealer this last Sat. I told the mechanic what was happening and he started it up, it would idle, and he said that a cylinder or two was missing . It is almost impossible to see where the smoke was coming from until he gets it on a stand. The smoke was coming out by the side stand . I don't know but I can't emagine any wiring under the bike by the exhaust pipes . All I can emagine is something dripping on the pipes. The mechanic's last statement to me was " this might be a difficult one" . Gives one a warm feeling.

I am going to wait until monday night and talk to the shop supervisor and see what has progressed. This is my first experience with this dealer so it will be interesting.

I will keep this thread going until I have the bike back in my hands so everyone that wants can gain some insight on the new 07.

Mac

Good luck, Mac. By the way, it's TWN. ;)
I knew that but I always think of your handle pronounced as Twin and without thinking that is the way I wrote it. I'll get it right the next time.

Regards

Mac

Good luck, Mac. By the way, it's TWN. ;)
I knew that but I always think of your handle pronounced as Twin and without thinking that is the way I wrote it. I'll get it right the next time.

Regards

Mac
God forbid he should have a "twin"...Oh dang! :dribble:

Mac, hopefully its something simple. If not, lets believe that Yamaha will step up with a warranty fix (uhm...at those low miles...). Perhaps its an oil leak, but the two cylinder misfire sounds more dire. Thanks for starting a separate thread and keep us up to date. AFAIK, this is the first major failure of this type, so it will be interesting to follow your story.

Hey have had my 07 for about 400miles and not a problem. except shifting with the new boots.(by the way I did get them right away)

Interested how this comes out. Love the color just did a polish with the stuff reccomended by this board and wow.

B) What polish was that? I must have missed it, if you please.

Hey have had my 07 for about 400miles and not a problem. except shifting with the new boots.(by the way I did get them right away)Interested how this comes out. Love the color just did a polish with the stuff reccomended by this board and wow.
Please don't hi-jack my thread guys, lets keep this for " Troubles with the 07" and polish has nothing to do with that. Start a new polish thread and you would probably get a lot of hits.

Thanks

Mac

Could the TPSs' be faulty on the 07's also? Maybe Rad can chip in on if the TPS would have this deliterious effect on the bike...

:ph34r: okmac, but did you get the namee of the polish? :assassin:

:ph34r:

B) What polish was that? I must have missed it, if you please.

Hey have had my 07 for about 400miles and not a problem. except shifting with the new boots.(by the way I did get them right away)Interested how this comes out. Love the color just did a polish with the stuff reccomended by this board and wow.
Please don't hi-jack my thread guys, lets keep this for " Troubles with the 07" and polish has nothing to do with that. Start a new polish thread and you would probably get a lot of hits.

Thanks

Mac

Sorry if this was already mentioned (and it has nothing to do with the misfires) but smoking FJR sidestands have been known to happen when the new-for-'06 piece of foam insulation on the inside of the fairing (near the shifter) works loose and touches the pipe.

Sorry if this was already mentioned (and it has nothing to do with the misfires) but smoking FJR sidestands have been known to happen when the new-for-'06 piece of foam insulation on the inside of the fairing (near the shifter) works loose and touches the pipe.
I noticed that piece of foam there and never gave it a thought, I don't have my bike now as it is in the shop but I will really look at that.

Thanks

Mac

Here is the latest up date and it is not much.

I got real excited to receive the message from BMMWHD about the foam, as it explained what I was having a real hard time figuring out. I could not figure out the color of the smoke coming out by the side stand. It was not dark enough for oil smoke and the foam really fit the bill.

I thought I would call the shop supervisor about 2 PM to inform him about the posibility of the smoke problem. He said that he was just going to assign a mechanic to work on it and he would look at it. He said he would call me back before closing time. Now I did not call to put pressure on him and if he had said that he would call when he found something I would have been happy. However I am one that takes a person at their word, the first time. As you probably already know, No Call.

Tomorrow I will be out of town and if I have not heard from them I suspect I will go and have a face to face. I like to look at a person to see if he is stringing me along.

I am still trying to keep light hearted and confident in my dealer. I guess I will have to see how the week progresses.

Mac

Here is the latest up date and it is not much.
I got real excited to receive the message from BMMWHD about the foam, as it explained what I was having a real hard time figuring out. I could not figure out the color of the smoke coming out by the side stand. It was not dark enough for oil smoke and the foam really fit the bill.

I thought I would call the shop supervisor about 2 PM to inform him about the posibility of the smoke problem. He said that he was just going to assign a mechanic to work on it and he would look at it. He said he would call me back before closing time. Now I did not call to put pressure on him and if he had said that he would call when he found something I would have been happy. However I am one that takes a person at their word, the first time. As you probably already know, No Call.

Tomorrow I will be out of town and if I have not heard from them I suspect I will go and have a face to face. I like to look at a person to see if he is stringing me along.

I am still trying to keep light hearted and confident in my dealer. I guess I will have to see how the week progresses.

Mac
I fully understand Mac, I just had my 2006a head removed.. I was patient, easy going as I could be, and didn't get get to see the 'root cause' of the low compression because I was nice, patient, easy going.. It's a fine line to walk, good luck.

Stay positive Mac. Your dealer should be able to get you back on the road soon. I had an oil leak from my clutch slave (there is a weep hole hard to see underneath)(plus not cool to walk out of the burger joint parked next to a couple of harleys to have oil drips under your bike) in the first 200 miles. Dealer repaired at 600 mile service and not a hicup since. Your under warranty now plus get the YES extension for many worry free miles. Let us know what it is, we are a curious bunch.

I talked with the mechanic that is working on my bike this morning. To make a long story short, I had contaminated fuel . At first the mech . thought that I might have filled up with diesel fuel by mistake. He said the fuel had a strange orange color to it . Everything on the bike checked out ok, fuel, elect. etc. He put in new gas and went for a ride and it ran fine. The weather is bad now but he wants to take it for another ride friday just to make sure. I filled up at a Bp gas station which should have had good fuel . Anyway this is a relief to me but kinda embarrassed by the fact that I caused the problem. Just glad I did not get too vocal about the problem on a new bike.

The other problem, smoke coming out by the side stand turned out to be the foam that is glued to the fairing there. Thanks Bmwhd you saved us some time there as I called and told them to check that.

So it looks like this Sat. I will be picking up my bike and feeling good that it didn't need any major repair and was good from the start. What will be interesting is who is going to pay the bill, it probably should be on me . We shall see.

Thanks for all the input.

Mac

I talked with the mechanic that is working on my bike this morning. To make a long story short, I had contaminated fuel . At first the mech . thought that I might have filled up with diesel fuel by mistake. He said the fuel had a strange orange color to it . Everything on the bike checked out ok, fuel, elect. etc. He put in new gas and went for a ride and it ran fine. The weather is bad now but he wants to take it for another ride friday just to make sure. I filled up at a Bp gas station which should have had good fuel . Anyway this is a relief to me but kinda embarrassed by the fact that I caused the problem. Just glad I did not get too vocal about the problem on a new bike.
The other problem, smoke coming out by the side stand turned out to be the foam that is glued to the fairing there. Thanks Bmwhd you saved us some time there as I called and told them to check that.

So it looks like this Sat. I will be picking up my bike and feeling good that it didn't need any major repair and was good from the start. What will be interesting is who is going to pay the bill, it probably should be on me . We shall see.

Thanks for all the input.

Mac
Glad to hear it seems to be working out!

My foam worked loose and landed on the pipe just as I was arriving at a gathering of my friends to show the bike off for the first time. They all start pointing and hooting and making a fuss and I'm thinking "cool, they really dig the bike!" only to come to a stop and see the smoke pouring off the bike! YIKES! They've never let me live it down.

The FJR fuel tank won't accept a diesel nozzle at the gas station The diesel nozzle has a larger diameter. Of course some have removed the metal barrier under the gas cap. So a diesel nozzle would work fine for them.