No power to the fuel pump

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RTCHRIS

Reaction score
I just picked up my first 05 fjr 1300, drove it home. Did a quick tune up, removed the tank checked everything out reassembled it and nothing. It would not run. I found power to the fuel pump for just a couple of seconds then nothing. If I bipass the wire harness and put 12 volts to the pump the bike runs great. I thought maybe the fuel pump pug might be bad and installed new connectors. The bike started and all was well until I turnned the bike off. Now no power to the fuel pump at all. My meter is working perfectly. Yamaha said replace the ECU. Any thoughts.

Might want to check the kill switch, take it out of the loop and see if this corrects the problem. Also the ignition switch, which has a history of odd problems, not always consistent however.

What Rad said, plus - check the voltages at the Fuel Injection Relay. The FI relay is enabled by the side stand switch, neutral light, kill switch (Rad Mentioned), neutral switch, key switch (Rad Mentioned) that gets summed together at the Starting Circuit Cutoff Relay. It is normal to be able to hear the pump run for ~2-3 seconds upon key on, then shut off until the engine starts. If it runs with power jumped directly to the fuel pump then it sounds like you've found the issue. Usually, if there is a problem with the Starting Circuit Cutoff Relay there will be a no-crank situation, which leads you back to the FI relay or the FI Fuse/connector as being related to the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's likely a wiring problem with the plug at the fuel pump. You said it ran fine before you removed the fuel tank. You had to disconnect the fuel pump and fuel gauge electrical connectors to remove the fuel tank.

Is the fuel gauge working OK?

The fuel injectors and fuel pump are fed from the fuel injection system relay. If it'll run the fuel injectors are getting power from this relay so the relay is pulled in.

California bike? Check the hose that leads to the charcoal canister and make sure it is not kinked or pinched.

It's likely a wiring problem with the plug at the fuel pump. You said it ran fine before you removed the fuel tank. You had to disconnect the fuel pump and fuel gauge electrical connectors to remove the fuel tank.
Is the fuel gauge working OK?

The fuel injectors and fuel pump are fed from the fuel injection system relay. If it'll run the fuel injectors are getting power from this relay so the relay is pulled in.
He states he replaced the connectors, the bike ran and then wouldn't restart once shutoff, then no power to the pump, again. This would suggest to me an intermittent fault, something a switch (or relay) would cause, or a bad connection downstream from the pump proper. And actually, the injectors are run by the ECM, unrelated to the pump except by way of actual fuel, not electrical impulses. Ion has the right Tree for him I think.

The positive side of the injector coils are fed +12 volts from the fuel injection system relay. The negative side of the coils are switched by the ECM.

If the engine will run with a separate power source for the pump then we know the fuel injection system relay is powered and pulled in. Otherwise the injectors wouldn't work.

You guys are great. I have Tuesday off and plan to spend the day putting your great ideas to work. The service department at the local dealer just did not have a clue. Thanks again, and I will let you know tomorrow how it went.

Also keep in mind the lean angle switch under the seat. Possible while you were screwing around under there you knocked the connector loose, this will also send a cease and desist to the pump IIRC. You also haven't mentioned if you've checked for any codes. The bike will tell you if it's pissed, but you have to ask. ;)