Those MOTHER...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otrfjr

Don't tell Mom
Reaction score
[Edit]

[SIZE=12pt]Lovin' Service Guys[/SIZE]

Just got off the phone with the service manager at my dealership & I'm so enraged I'm shaking. He told me that the fiber clutch disks were gone & it was not covered under warranty because, get this, it had a fucking Purolator oil filter on it. The bike is less than 2 months old & only has 2k on the odometer. Then he tried to tell me it didn't have spec oil in it & I blasted him saying I would be there in 10 minutes with the receipts & he finally backed down on that point. Then he said that he didn't have any record of a 600-mile service & I told him that I did it myself including the TBS & would produce a witness if that's what it took; he backed off that one as well. I told him I would be contacting Yamaha & he said that's fine, but tell them you had a Purolator filter on it. This is a truckload of steaming bullshit.

Any advice for recourse will be much appreciated at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a federal law that says that the dealer can't make you use thier product for warranty purposes unless they give it to you free. As far as I know you just have to prove it was done and have the reciept for the stuff. I'm not sure of the name of the law but I am sure somebody here knows.

I would have been ballistic as well. IIRC another rider on this forum, RonRieth, had a clutch disentegrate on his '06 with less than 2000 miles. You may be able to do a search with his name and find the episode about his clutch failure. His dealer, in Stuart, FL, was able to cover the problem under warrantee, and so should yours. Oil filter should not be a problem, but automotive oil with friction modifiers could be. It should be judged by Yamaha, and not the stealer.

Bob

[SIZE=12pt]FUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE]
Just got off the phone with the service manager at my dealership & I'm so enraged I'm shaking. He told me that the fiber clutch disks were gone & it was not covered under warranty because, get this, it had a fucking Purolator oil filter on it. The bike is less than 2 months old & only has 2k on the odometer. Then he tried to tell me it didn't have spec oil in it & I blasted him saying I would be there in 10 minutes with the receipts & he finally backed down on that point. Then he said that he didn't have any record of a 600-mile service & I told him that I did it myself including the TBS & would produce a witness if that's what it took; he backed off that one as well. I told him I would be contacting Yamaha & he said that's fine, but tell them you had a Purolator filter on it. This is a truckload of steaming bullshit.

Wow! WTF? How does that filter relate to your clutch being toast?

(I wasn't aware you had an issue with your clutch).

My advice: retrieve your bike now.

Doesn't matter if Cypress comes back and says that you are golden, and that all your work is covered under warranty, or whatever. You do NOT want these assclowns touching your machine at this point, believe me!

[SIZE=12pt]FUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE]

I suggest calling an bike-savvy attorney. And then find a new dealer. That's total crap and they need to prove the filter caused the clutch failure.

Sometimes shi.. err, stuff like this happens. It's bad enough to have one asshat involved, no need for two. It seems that unless this is the only game within 500 miles you are done with them. Should this situation get recounted to Cypress, or less likely the courts, how do you want to be presented/remembered to either of these arbitrators? Suck it up, act like someone that cares is watching, hold the thunder and lightning and get the phuck out of there. As gratifying as it could be to let them know that their attitude and service is lower than snail slime, let it be. Don't be in a rush to burn a potential $1k bridge behind you.

Your weasely dealer sucks, no doubt!!!

i'll have to say that when i felt i was getting the runaround with my dealer, i called corporate yamaha and they were pretty reasonable with me. they tried to call the service manager with me still on the phone to confirm the load of bullshite that dealer was trying to feed me. you might try that (or maybe i just got a really nice customer service person, i think her name was chloe or something). good luck, and keep us updated.

Thanks to everyone. I've calmed down a bit & have been on the phone with Cypress. I'm sorry I didn't see your posts before that, especially Warchild's & Ionbeam's. The customer rep got in touch with the shop & said that they said that it was the non-spec filter that caused the problem. I explained to her why, mechanically & logically, that was an unsound proposition 'cause if it was a matter of the filter restricting or blocking oil flow, I'd have a lot more serious problems to worry about than the clutch plates. I then mentioned that other 07 FJR owners had experienced similar problems but those instances had been covered under warranty. At that point she gave me a "one-time good will offer" of covering it under warranty so they wouldn't lose a customer. So, I'll let the assclowns install the new clutch--even though that's probably a bad idea because I've pissed them off (but they started it!). However, since it's already been authorized as warranty work at that dealership, I have to let them do it. :angry:

i'll have to say that when i felt i was getting the runaround with my dealer, i called corporate yamaha and they were pretty reasonable with me. they tried to call the service manager with me still on the phone to confirm the load of bullshite that dealer was trying to feed me. you might try that (or maybe i just got a really nice customer service person, i think her name was chloe or something). good luck, and keep us updated.
I talked with Diana.

Thanks to everyone. I've calmed down a bit & have been on the phone with Cypress. I'm sorry I didn't see your posts before that, especially Warchild's & Ionbeam's. The customer rep got in touch with the shop & said that they said that it was the non-spec filter that caused the problem. I explained to her why, mechanically & logically, that was an unsound proposition 'cause if it was a matter of the filter restricting or blocking oil flow, I'd have a lot more serious problems to worry about than the clutch plates. I then mentioned that other 07 FJR owners had experienced similar problems but those instances had been covered under warranty. At that point she gave me a "one-time good will offer" of covering it under warranty so they wouldn't lose a customer. So, I'll let the assclowns install the new clutch--even though that's probably a bad idea because I've pissed them off (but they started it!). However, since it's already been authorized as warranty work at that dealership, I have to let them do it. :angry:

I talked with Diana.
looks to me that it will be an issue if non spec parts are used and then a warranty claim filed especially down the road a ways and it might be hard to convince a judge or jury in local small claims court that a car filter is okay to use on a bike and it might be hard to get the filter people to say their filter is okay for a bike. They probably dont have test data for a bike application. Its sure something to consider when one goes after market and most especially non spec after market parts.

looks to me that it will be an issue if non spec parts are used and then a warranty claim filed especially down the road a ways and it might be hard to convince a judge or jury in local small claims court that a car filter is okay to use on a bike and it might be hard to get the filter people to say their filter is okay for a bike. They probably dont have test data for a bike application. Its sure something to consider when one goes after market and most especially non spec after market parts.
But all after market is non spec according to what they were telling me. That's nonsense. You're right about the small claims scenario & I'm glad I'm not trying to get my $700 out of them after the fact.

I hope Yamaha is watching this thread. It would be hard for Yamaha to prove that a Purolator Filter v. their filter was or wasn't the problem, in a court of law. It would cost a lot of money in legal fees to get this done. Almost isn't worth it but I have a hard time believing the filter is the cause of your clutch failure.

This kind of crap will cause people to revert to a measure less becoming to get things warranted.

Now that we know this crap can happen, I'm sure some folks will prep their bike before limping it in for service. Why should any of us have to considerer sinister stuff like this???

Good to hear you are getting a favor from Yamaha. What happens the next time, if their is one????

Good to hear you are getting a favor from Yamaha. What happens the next time, if their is one????
According to the rep I talked with, this is my one and only get out of jail free card. Ever. To infinity. And beyond.

But I hope Yamaha isn't reading this thread, because--and it might have already happened--my VIN will probably get flagged.

Subaru does pretty much the same thing....any warranty work and your'e car better have every work record and receipt for maintenance items you purchased and installed yourself. In their defense they have had to do this with a lot of WRX/STi's because teenagers like to go out and do 7k RPM clutch drops with AWD systems but damn, they take it to an extreme sometimes.

The law you were referring to is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act enforced by the FTC

linky: https://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.shtm

It is quite a popular word over on the WRXforums. :)

According to the rep I talked with, this is my one and only get out of jail free card. Ever. To infinity. And beyond.

But I hope Yamaha isn't reading this thread, because--and it might have already happened--my VIN will probably get flagged.
What a pain in the a**.

Where is our resident Oil Filter Guru?? We need to know if there is so much difference between the Purolator filter and the Yamaha filter to justify having to use their high priced $13.00 filter.

OK, so you buy their oil filter from now on, whoopity do. I just installed a Purolator and I'm OK with that.

Just save your receipts, and buy their lubricants too they don't cost *that* much more, beyond that, they'd have a very hard time blaming any other repair on you for not following their scheduled maintenance provided you do. It's just not that hard.

The clutch is one of those funky gray areas though... Cause you can go out and thrash that, regardless of the lube (not saying you did, just sayin).

I am sorry you went through this. I know of at least two dealers in my area that would pull the same kind of crap, just because they can. BTDT. I've often felt for a long time that there was an asshole quotient one had to achieve before being permitted to be a motorcycle dealer.

Out of curiosity, how much was the repair? Clutch plates are what? $100 bucks?

I'm not sure why the oil filter is such a big issue, but when I picked up my bike at D&H, they made specific reference to using a Yamaha oil filter if I did my own service. There was some flexibility with the oil.

I hope Yamaha is watching this thread. It would be hard for Yamaha to prove that a Purolator Filter v. their filter was or wasn't the problem, in a court of law. It would cost a lot of money in legal fees to get this done. Almost isn't worth it but I have a hard time believing the filter is the cause of your clutch failure.
This kind of crap will cause people to revert to a measure less becoming to get things warranted.

Now that we know this crap can happen, I'm sure some folks will prep their bike before limping it in for service. Why should any of us have to considerer sinister stuff like this???

most everybody with a mechanical background will agree that the filter is not the clutch problem the yammie folks know its not the problem that being said it would be next to impossible to file a waranty claim related to a motor or trans failure with a non spec after market part involved in the lubrication or filter process of the motor or trans part that failed with that kind of attitude. The exception would be an after market part that met oem specs and had test data and after market manfacture statement to back it which would give the consumer some legal ammunition if push come to shove with a non spec part involved in a failure its gonna be hard to prevail.

Or instead of dicking around and limiting yourself to Yammy's products, you could use an acceptable substitute and find a dealership that won't look to ream you out the minute you walk in the door. I can think of a few...