Italy In July

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember with great fondness a two week tour around northern Italy about fifteen years ago on my first love - an older but beautifully maintained BMW K100RS. It's one of the most stunningly, beautiful countries for two wheeled touring I have ever ridden - but watch out for those crazy local drivers.

Please take a camera with you and post the best of your pics on your return,

ride safe - Bull

A lot of the European dealers also have rental programs and I got to ride a Suzy VStrom 1000 in the Alps this way before it came to the US. Try calling a few dealers before you go. Note that you'll find a big jump in prices as the displacement goes up, as well as their insurance. Although only once, I did have one hold out for an "International Drivers Permit" which you get from the AAA (https://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html). The dealer can typically provide or rent you a helmet, there's no telling who wore it last and I take my own.

Bob

This is the route I'd go. I'm not familiar with any Yammy dealer in a 30-mile radius who rents out bikes.

OTOH I know the Rent-a-Dream guys personally, they're good folks and located about 45 mins away from Milan MXP airport.

Stef

PS: Positano is 500 miles south of here. You may find it more convenient to fly to Rome's FCO airport and rent in that area.

In that case, Positano will only be 150 miles away. A word of caution, folks drive and ride "creatively" in the South of Italy. Keep your eyes open

(and your bike locked) :assassin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your help..

Stef, i'll be flying into naples, & going to positano, is there anyplace near positano to rent from that you know of ??

Moss

Thank you all for your help..Stef, i'll be flying into naples, & going to positano, is there anyplace near positano to rent from that you know of ??

Moss
Moss

Don't laugh. You'll only find a place or two that rents mopeds ("motorini") and scooters CLICKY but no "real" bikes. You'll see, however, that a serious motorbike is kinda out of place there. People will use the scooter to go buy bread and congregate at the bar for espresso.

There'll be dozens of "vespas" and "scarabeos" haphazardly parked at every curbside and you'll hardly see a single FJR or Beemer. (Unless it's a bunch of Germans passing through).

If you give in and rent a scooter (which you'll probably love anyway) just don't put pictures on this Forum as you know we'll have to take the hard line

and give you hell... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Stef

Last edited by a moderator: