Dash clock error

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJReady

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I glanced down at the clock while riding today and noticed it said 1:50 which was about 3 hours slow. Now I know that it was correct 2 days ago while riding home from work. I haven't messed with the battery or had any other power issues (that I know of). Just wondering if anyone might have a clue what would cause a clock to reset.

Maybe if the voltage drops, even for a millisecond, below some threshold the clock restarts?

You must have gone through a time warp continuum. Either that or speeding.....

It's the Aliens. The same buggers keep stealing the air outta my tires. You gotta watch 'em cuz deys tricky bastages. ;)

Your battery may be getting ready to puke, or you may have started it after it was in a somewhat discharged condtion.

It is a good idea, when starting, to turn on the ignition, wait till the fuel pump cycles (starts running, gets up to pressure, then stops) before hitting the starter button. If you don't wait those couple of seconds, the electrical system (battery) is highly taxed and the voltage may go below minimal, to support the clock circuit.

But the most likely scenario is that the battery is weak.

As mentioned above it is related to the time warp continum, what with this bike being able to go faster than light which is 186,000 mi. per second per second that is speed with direction and all. But to solve this problem Yamaha has done a recall and had to change out the instrument cluster panels and install an atomic clock which solved the problem of the instant mpg readout and the gremlin alien bastages interference to the time warp continum and all. But if memory serves me correct, I think it was just on the 06 models. In your case it could really be the battery but logically not probable on an 07 or maybe pushed some buttons incorrectly trying to figure out the mpg, or accidently reset the clock, ect. ect. Hope this helped. PM. <>< :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
check your battery connections, sometimes the aliens get in there and loosen them up just enough to get the clock to reset upon start up.

I agree that you should wait for the fuel pump to cycle before starting bike. Also had this happen once when the sidestand was down and I put it in gear. The engine quit and the clock reset.It all points to a weak battery.