New high-speed wobble

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

What would DoG do?
Reaction score
Just noticed it since putting on the new tires (Diablo Strada front, Storm rear) and tapered roller steering bearings. Luggage pods and Givi trunk loaded, but no any more than before the wobble started. Starts in about 90 and gets worse from there on up.

I noticed my headlights seemed higher than usual the other night, without changing the preload lever, which I leave on "Hard".

33,000 miles.

Anybody had one replaced under YES?

Switching multiple items that could all possibly cause the same issue at the same time, will mean you may have to do a re-tracing of steps to eliminate each one from the list.

You could wait until the tires wear out, or just keep it under license suspension speeds until you figure it out. :D The latter is optional and darn near impossible to achieve.

Headlights higher, wobble, shit on the back=raise the tubes in the trees 1/2" or so (lower the front end).

Just noticed it since putting on the new tires (Diablo Strada front, Storm rear) and tapered roller steering bearings. Luggage pods and Givi trunk loaded, but no any more than before the wobble started. Starts in about 90 and gets worse from there on up.
I noticed my headlights seemed higher than usual the other night, without changing the preload lever, which I leave on "Hard".

33,000 miles.

Wouldn't get my hopes up for YES coverage. Aren't shocks a wear item?

You could wait until the tires wear out, or just keep it under license suspension speeds until you figure it out. :D The latter is optional and darn near impossible to achieve.
Yeah, I first noticed it the other morning on the way to work. Ramping onto the second superslab chunk of my route, spotted a CHP patrol unit going Code 3 in the opposite direction, and two motor units about one and 1-1/2 minutes behind, respectively. At that point, I knew the road ahead was free of Imperial Forces. It "was on"!

It seems to be originating in the rear, as opposed to headshake. I'll have to do some measuring and see what that indicates. Trying to shortcut the troubleshooting algorithms.

Yeah, I first noticed it the other morning on the way to work. Ramping onto the second superslab chunk of my route, spotted a CHP patrol unit going Code 3 in the opposite direction, and two motor units about one and 1-1/2 minutes behind, respectively. At that point, I knew the road ahead was free of Imperial Forces. It "was on"!

It seems to be originating in the rear, as opposed to headshake. I'll have to do some measuring and see what that indicates. Trying to shortcut the troubleshooting algorithms.
This brings up a question for me. I was heading across the I-70 (Utah) one time, with a full load, big yamaha trunk installed and both saddlebags loaded on a week long trip. At 130 I all of a sudden started getting a wobble. Now, granted - self preservation (jail or otherwise) tells me obviously that I shouldn't very often travel at these speeds, but I just got a wild hair and wanted to see how fast this FJR (2005) could travel, comfortably and smoothly. I guess I found the limit.

But with a full load of luggage (no extra passenger) - should I set the shocks to Hard, or Soft? I'm 5' 9" and 190-ish lbs.

Thanks

T.C., a couple of questions:

1. Is this the OEM shock? If so, IMO, you are waaayyyy past the usual lifespan.

2. While you have it on the centerstand, have you checked the sideplay (movement) of the trailing arm? Possible bushing wear?

Though that these ideas are problematic if it came on "suddenly", the possibility exists that the new tires grip better so the issues are brought "to light".

But with a full load of luggage (no extra passenger) - should I set the shocks to Hard, or Soft? I'm 5' 9" and 190-ish lbs.
Personally, whenever I "load the luggage" I always stiffen up the rear shock (switch the OEM onto "hard"). Especially if you load the topcase heavy as it is well behind the rear axle.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't mix tire brands! Are you nuts?! Of course you're gonna get a wobble. :grin:

Either that or your Weeble is unbalanced... :p

Rad's suggestion is valid so long as you made all the other suspension adjustments and MM2's question of warn shock turns out negative.

33,000 miles.

I would not have done the tapered bearings, but that is me I guess. More friction with the tapers.

Toe : lets trouble shoot it for you and you guess which is correct.

Out of round tire, , lost wheel balancing weight, shock worn out, one of your swing arm bearings is cracked or fell out(needle) NOt enough air pressure. tires do not match different brands different operational characteristics, defective tire tire seperating, rear axle nut loose, bad shock, bad shock bearings, shock spring cracked or broken out of round tire

Let us know which one applies good luck on your fix

weekend rider

Toe,....the tapered steering head bearings should have no effect if they are tightened to spec.....I've had mine in for about 20K with no problems..... they were a warranty replacement by a Yammie dealer that had no clue.....(1st & last time I used that dealer)

My stock shock started getting wobbly at 14k and I replaced it with Wilbers. I think you ought to try Hagons and let us know how they are...
Did it actually get squirrelly?

I'm thinking British suspension components are not the best choice for ease of service-related issues, as I can't do a ride-in....

Headlights higher, wobble, shit on the back=raise the tubes in the trees 1/2" or so (lower the front end).
But I don't want to lower the bike to get it to ride like it did a year ago.

I'll do some more testing tomorrow....

Last edited by a moderator:
As already stated, your shock is well past it's expected life, however, I would think you'd experience other symptoms if the shock was worn out.

Try it with out the top case.Did the road have rain grooves?
You've seen me have a go at it, with the topcase on and loaded, but that road wasn't grooved.

The one in question was. You may be onto something there. Other than that, the shock doesn't feel much worse than it ever has. It's not bottoming or anything...

I'd love to drop another two jumbo on a hot suspension setup right now...NOT!