Clutch issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've only owned my Feejay for 6 weeks or so but one of the things I don't like is the clutch levers action.

1. Why does it take so much pressure to pull and hold in the clutch lever. Very annoying at long lights etc.

2. Why is there virtually no free range in the clutch levers release. Mine engages the tranny 1/4 inch off the grip.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only owned my Feejay for 6 weeks or so but one of the things I don't like is the clutch levers action. 1. Why does it take so much pressure to pull and hold in the clutch lever. Very annoying at long lights etc.

2. Why is there virtually no free range in the clutch levers release. Mine engages the tranny 1/4 inch off the grip.
At least one person has replaced the Gen 2 clutch slave cylinder with one from the '05 to help with this problem. Apparently Yamaha has installed a compromise slave cylinder to satisfy the needs of both the A and AE on the gen 2 bikes. A quick search of this forum should turn up the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Gen II slave cylinder and push rod for the A and AE both have the same P/N. The slave & push rod have different P/Ns from Gen I to Gen II. I'm pretty sure that the clutch master cylinder is different from Gen I to Gen II also.

The A and AE slave cylinders have different part#'s. The diameters may be the same but the hose connections are different for the two slave cylinder variations.

A = 2D2-16381-00-00

AE = 2D2-16381-10-00

The master cylinders for both generations have the same 14 mm bore.

I'm sure you have tried adjusting the wheel back and forth a few times with the clutch hadle pulled out against the stop. Mine tried sticking in the 5 position before working it in and out for a while.

I agree, the clutch was a pain at first, killed the bike several times at intersections, But, after 2700 miles I'm used to it, and it seams normal to me now, so why go to all the trouble of changing parts, just ride your bike for a while longer and it will seam normal,,,,,,,,,Lee