Delayed Fast Idle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaminBrown

Reaction score
Hello,

Wanted to see if the forum had any ideas before I bring the bike back (again) to the dealer.

I have an '05. Recently had the TPS service, and spring oil/filter change. Runs fine when warm, but has a new odd problem when started cold.

The bike starts fine, but the fast idle doesn't kick in. For several seconds the bike idles at 1100 rpm (somewhat roughly, given that it is cold), and after 10-20 seconds, the fast idle kicks in, pushing the idle up to ~2000 rpm until the bike is warm.

Any ideas on what I should get the shop to look at? It wasn't doing this in the couple weeks I rode it before getting it into the shop. Only after the oil change/TPS replacement.

Thanks.

Jamin

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you crank/start the engine with no throttle input? Possibly the fast idle device needs a bit of manual intervention at start to achieve fast idle. Try a very light blip of the throttle just after starting to see if that expedites the fast idle.

Do you crank/start the engine with no throttle input? Possibly the fast idle device needs a bit of manual intervention at start to achieve fast idle. Try a very light blip of the throttle just after starting to see if that expedites the fast idle.
I start it with no throttle input. Giving throttle input does not cause the fast idle to kick in any faster. One <40 degree morning required me to hold the throttle to get it started, just because it was so cold.

The colder the air temp (and bike), the longer it seems to take the fast idle to kick in.