Yet more Audiovox problems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pjturbo

Reaction score
I installed it per the many directions on this forum, but I must be doing something wrong. I have an 05 with ABS. I connected the wires per instructions to the foot brake wires. On the first test run the unit would on engage. So I got out the VOM and started to check the wires. The purple wire has a constant .082 volts with the ignition on, goes to 11.8 volts with the brake engaged. The red wire has a constant 12.4 volts. The brown wire has constant .95 volts, when "on" is pushed this rises to 12.4 volts then goes back to .95 when "on" is released. When "off" is pushed it goes to 3.6 volts. When "set is pushed it ge 12.4 volts on the green wire. When "resume" is pushed I get 12.4 volts on the yellow wire. The blue wire has a constant 11.2 volts. For the LED, if I push and release the "on" button then push either "set" or "resume" the LED doesn't light. If I ush and hold the "on" button and push the "set" or "resume" the LED lights. With the engine running, if I push and hold the "on" button I get the blinking LED. I called audiovox and tried to some help. The person on the phone said they don't do motorcycles and to take the purple wire to ground. He didn't sound like he wanted to help. So I'm turning to people that do want to help. This Forum. Any suggestions will be gratfully accepted because I don't know what to try next and Audiovox doesn't want to tell me the logic diagram of the system.

Phil

Does the green LED on the control panel light when you turn the unit on?

There are two ground wires. Are they both grounded? Can you be a little more specific about where you made all of your connections?

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is the .082 volts on the purple wire is the problem. When audiovox says that it should be zero volts I think they are pretty serious about it, no rounding down :)

The first question is, do you have any brake accessories? LED tailamps would be an example. Bad juju for cc.

The second question is have you cleaned and lubed your brake pedal? If it sticks just a little bit you will have problems.

I would be use this or this webpage to hook up the purple wire via a relay, you will see 0 volts on that purple wire no matter what else you have going on with the brakes.

I would also guess that the .95 volts on the brown will disappear when you get the purple wire straightened out, but I haven't been wrong yet today so I am due...

Try grounding purple. That means disconnecting it from the brake circuit and running it to negative - to the black wire directly.

If it works (and realise that using your brakes will NOT disconnect the unit with the wire grounded) you will need to use a relay to isolate the brake circuit from the purple wire. If it doesn;t, you need to keep looking - but the brake input is the most comon issue assuming you've installed it all properly.

I found the problem, I think. A faulty ground from the switch box. Thanks BB for the hint. Always triple check the grounds. Anyway the green led on the control pad lights and the red led on the servo lights as it should. As soon as it stops raining up here I'll do the acid test. Thanks for the help. I knew this forum would set me straight.

Phil

Hope it works well for you when you get out and give it a real test. Mine is working pretty good so far.