zumo® installation, version 2.0

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bike Effects

Reaction score
I have always disliked the Garmin XM Antenna and forum member Lake Powell told me how to make it right. The XM antenna now lives inside the left mid fairing just forward of where the '04 and later bikes have the glove box. It is secured with double sided tape and a block of foam rubber. XM plays good. Starcom and zumo....life is good!

zumo-06.jpg

zumo-07.jpg

zumo-08.jpg

zumo-09.jpg

Hey, don't blame me-
Did it work?

Never ever, listen to what I say........
Seems to work just fine. I ALWAYS hated that antenna but like using the XM. Thanks for the tip.
I agree with you and am getting ready to do the same thing.............however, if you took a picture it would be most helpful!

jim

This will certainly lead to production of a Skyway Stealth Bracket for the Garmin GXM-30 antenna.

It seems like the couple of times I used the unit in the truck and just placed the antenna on the dashboard I kept losing the signal, so it seems to me that putting it under the fairing wouldn't exactly give you a clear shot to the sky and could lead to reception problems.

Jeff:
Can you post details on your thermometer? Thanks.
I used to have one of those thermometers. It worked great until it got wet. But if you want to try one, it's a Coralife digital thermometer with remote sensor. Available here and many other fine internet retailers.

I have always disliked the Garmin XM Antenna and forum member Lake Powell told me how to make it right. The XM antenna now lives inside the left mid fairing just forward of where the '04 and later bikes have the glove box. It is secured with double sided tape and a block of foam rubber. XM plays good. Starcom and zumo....life is good!

Looks great!

Had a question for you.. I have a Starcom advanced as well, but have not yet installed it (Waiting for my Uniden radio to come in from Amazon for bike to bike.. hopefully it'll place nice with my friends chatterbox)..

Question is, if I pickup the Zumo that includes Bluetooth for mobile phone.. does it work for you? Having your phone link up to the Zumo, and then the Zumo into the Starcom? Did you have to get a special audio cable setup for the Zumo to the starcom (A mic cable and a stereo cable?).

Or should I just get the Starcom bluetooth module and get the cheaper zumo?

Thanks.. sorry to noob it up if this was answered elsewhere before.