Blue Flame EVO 3 installation & review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orbitr

Reaction score
Since I didn't see any posts on the board that answered a few specific questions I had about the Blue Flame cans, I figured I'd put something out there for future reference.

Customer experience: good, friendly followup both by phone and email. Brian's a good guy and tries to help. Their website, which was recently improved, still lacks some technical info. The website indicates that delivery times vary widely depending on model and workflow, but 2-4 weeks is typical. Mine arrived in 5 weeks, well-packed, in good condition.

Construction & delivery: Really nice fit and finish. Packed to minimize scratching. One mid-pipe was wrapped with both clamps on it; the other with only one clamp. At first, I assumed one was missing. It turned out to be on the muffler. No instructions of any kind are included, nor mounting hardware (other than the hanger straps). Admittedly, slip-ons are pretty dang easy, but since the stock cans require a muffler gasket (as do many aftermarket cans for the FJR), I wasn't sure if I had a problem, since the Blue Flame midpipes won't fit over the OEM gasket. Blue Flame wasn't sure about the answer to that, despite having sold FJR cans for years. High-temp silicone gasket material seems to be the answer, since the midpipes fit too snugly for anything else, but loose enough that you need some kind of gasket in there. The midpipe fits into the can, which has a conventional split-tube construction and a strap clamp. The intake side of the midpipe is not a split tube, so the likelihood of a strap clamp being able to crush a cylinder to tighten it down sufficiently is nil. The silicone is necessary not only to seal the pipe, but to hold it in place.

Installation: Assuming you can peel/scrape the OEM metal gasket off easily (I did mine at only 600mi), it's a piece of cake. Be forewarned (since Blue Flame doesn't forewarn you) that the receiving nut for the hanger bolt is captive, and welded onto the OEM muffler. This means you'll need two M10x1.25 fine pitch metric nuts, or (since that was the ONLY freakin' size not available in my hardware store... bolts, yes. Nuts, no. Go figure) two M10x70 bolts with matching nuts in the 1.50 standard pitch thread. The straps look like they're some godawful milky white color. It's a protective film over the metal, but so smoothly cut at the edges that it really looks like paint at first. If you don't peel it off, it'll burn onto the straps (no, I didn't do that, but it did occur to me that it might happen to someone).

Issues/problems: The EVO dual-port cans are sold with a removable insert on the larger port and a removable solid blanking plug on the smaller port. They're held in place with round spring clips. Blue Flame recommends buying their rosary pliers (they're cheap) to handle the spring clips. I have some really needle-nose pliers that would've done fine (better, actually... the nubs on the rosary pliers aren't very long, which makes them hard to use). That said, once I decided I wanted the blanking plug back in, it didn't seat properly---apparently the internal tube it seats into was a hair too far into the can. This caused the blanking plug to rattle louder than a tin maraca. The only way to stop it was to seal it with a little high-temp silicone...which means it'll probably never ever come out again. I'm fine with that, but a lot of people wouldn't be.

Kudos: The ability to tune the sound of the EVOs is really nice. With all four inserts in place, it has a nice, warm, deep, throaty rumble. It sounds like a 1300 without being annoyingly loud for either the rider or the neighbors. Start to pull out the inserts, and it gets both louder and brasher. If you want loud, you can definitely get it (pre-order your hearing aids starting at age 50 or so), but even at full tilt, it never gets buzzy--just aggressive. There's a resonance at around 3000 rpm, leading to a distinct volume spike, which can be a good or a bad thing, depending on your perspective. If you do a lot of intown, commuting-style riding, you'll be hearing that spike a lot. If you're used to a Euro-muffled bike, it can get a little tiring. On the other hand, it certainly would help cars hear you in intown traffic.

I got the stainless oval 2-ports. I have to admit, I really wanted the triangular cans :dribble: but not at the extra cost.

There are some FJR photos on Blue Flame's site (Blueflameusa.com -- don't forget the usa), and if you search the forum and Mark Johnson's FJR site, you can find useful sound files (as useful as the sound on a computer can be.) Mark has before-and-after clips that were nicely calibrated, which helps you establish a mental benchmark with the "before" files.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! That'd be really neat-o to have blue flames coming out the pipes! Yeah! Piccies please!
I kid you not, someone actually made that mistake in a post on another site. :fool:

Skooter: nice photos on manufacturer site. The only difference is the badge is now just a glued-on molded silicone blue flame; no metal plate with EVO logotype. It's a cleaner look.

Nice try. Being a "FNG", you have to show us YOUR bike w/ new cans which shows us 1) you really have them installed, 2) you know how to post pics and 3) we just want to look in your garage.

Nice try. Being a "FNG", you have to show us YOUR bike w/ new cans which shows us 1) you really have them installed, 2) you know how to post pics and 3) we just want to look in your garage.

:glare: boys...boys...

okay... To prove #3, it just so happens that a friend of mine is a big-name Hollywood photographer (I ain't kidding...see blakelittle.com) so I actually HAVE a photo of me in my garage... though not in the motorsports section B)

I'll toss a few photos on snapfish; since their dynamic links don't work with image tags, here's the album link.

https://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/Al...441/t_=94970441

Note: I left all four "nice neighbor" silencing plugs in -- the top ones are pretty inconspicuous. The bottom ones, as you can see, are obvious plugs.

I think your pipes may need a slight alignment?

of50590442.jpg

Very nice. I've had my eye on those since getting the bike last year. One of these days...

So on with the fun and my first highjack attempt...You proved 1 & 3 but lacking on 2 (Skyway took your photo and posted so ... :blink: ). Also, I don't see a speck of dirt, oil, bugs, dust, nothing on the blue flame exhaust or the bike. A totally clean fjr AND an organized peg board. Hmmm. ;) :D My garage is so embarassingly out-of-hand. Can barely park the bike. Highjack officially over.

of50590442.jpg
yeah, they look cockeyed there, but they're not. just the angle I shot at, I think... they do sit slightly off from perfectly-vertical, though.

of50590442.jpg
yeah, they look cockeyed there, but they're not. just the angle I shot at, I think... they do sit slightly off from perfectly-vertical, though.

I found this 3 minute video on Youtube

that has the blueflames mounted on an 05 FJR & they are not slanted, so you may want to try to re-align them. You can get a good look at the pipes from the rear at 1:39 of the video. I love the sound & am saving my pennies, dimes & nickels, but wait!....Fathers Day is coming soon, hey kids......yeah who am I kidding. Although one year I did get a new Shoei....so maybe.......

Oh, they can be mounted straight (although the hanger straps tend to push them into a slanted angle). I've mounted them both ways, and not sure which I prefer...it's purely an aesthetics thing. I don't feel the need to mount them perfectly vertical just because "that's how it's usually done." Does it look weird to some folks? Well, hell... I'm a weird guy...what can I say? As someone once said, "If they give you lined paper, write the other way."

Here you go again i posted this up about a year ago. See them hear them..

as for the straps they arent very tight. Go buy a piece of flat rubber and build it up some.

Jdog

They need to be straightened, looks bad from the rear view.

Blue Flame with restricters in, sounds the same as Staintune cans with with restricters in.

Blue Flame with restricters out, sounds the same as Staintune cans with restricters out.

That's going by the video.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Hmmmm

Staintunes...

Been thinking about a set of them. They are made a couple of KM from my place.

I one can only want..

The Blue falmes look great too. But I reckon I've square them up.

Hey Shadow

Do the Staintunes sit a bit futher in or closer to the swingarm. I reckon the original cans sit too far out, Yamaha could have sat them about 25-30mm (1"-1 1\4") closer to the swing arm.

of50590442.jpg

Yep idid that about a year ago whenb i new nothing about making videos.

By the way they sound nothing like the Staintunes brand.. I ride with guys& gals that have the Staintunes exhaust and they sound nothing like blueflames. The video is not the best sound quality. And if you listen at diffrent angles it sound a bit different.. Blue flames exhaust sounds like the old kirkers just a deep ballsy rumble.

Jdog

Hey orbitr if you don't mind me asking how much hp and torque did you gain from those pipes because I am looking into a new set and those looks sweet. Also do your stock saddle bags fit over the pipes you put on? The pictures are sweet I just wonder if they perform as well as they looks and sound. Thanks!

Do the Staintunes sit a bit futher in or closer to the swingarm. I reckon the original cans sit too far out, Yamaha could have sat them about 25-30mm (1"-1 1\4") closer to the swing arm.
That's a good question. From the pics I've seen of staintunes they appear to sit as far out as the stock cans. That is the one reason why they are not on my short list of cans. Too bad too because they look awesome otherwise.

That's a good question. From the pics I've seen of staintunes they appear to sit as far out as the stock cans. That is the one reason why they are not on my short list of cans. Too bad too because they look awesome otherwise.
Do ya know of a can that does sit closer to the Swingarm?

Any pics?