Need Help/Advice 2006 making ticking noises

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KYFJR

Reaction score
2006 with only 4200 miles starting ticking this spring - very pronounced around 2500 to 3000 RPM. It sounds exactly like a vavle tick, so I took it to my local dealership...mistake. They have it for three weeks and then they call to tell me that they agree that it does in fact tick. (I didn't panic during this timeframe because I still have an '03 that I love to ride) So I ask them did they check the vavles? No, they didn't. So what are you going to do I ask? They say since they have it documented, I should just ride the bike and see if it gets worse. Now that's customer service! Or I wonder if that is their preventative maintenance program at work? WTF? Wow, my pre-schooler could have gave me that advice.

Now, one week later it has started to tick when I first start the bike and then it fades as it warms up, however, it is still very pronounced at 2500 rpm. I have another dealership I can take it to but does anyone have any ideas?

Amazing how it sounds exactly like a Honda V-4 tick when I would run high rpms and get the vavles out of adjustment - except I haven't rode this bike too hard, not even close to the '03.

Thanks,

Rich

Awe man that sucks...

I think the problem might be that you haven't ridden it enough ;)

Out of curiosity, did you remove the PCIII before you took it to your dealer? I've heard good things from the Yamaha dealer in Beechmont which would be about as close to you as one is (maybe that's where you took it?), but I've never actually used them or bought from them.

I can tell you Middletown blows, as does the one in Fairfield.

Keep us posted.

It sounds exactly like a vavle tick, so I took it to my local dealership...mistake.
When you say it sounds like a "valve tick" what do you mean? The tick, tick, tick of valves that's fairly common and not an issue on FJRs derived from the Genesis head? Or the metallic sound of premature valve guide wear that's like steak knives dropping on a metal table that nobody has reported on a single '06 or '07 to date, but is common on the '05s and earlier?

Coming from cylinder #1 or #2.....or from the other side at #3 and #4?

I'll chime in here for a moment, as I've been wondering what's going on with my '06. It seems to be displaying the same noise as KYFJR's is. It sounds to my ears like the same sound an out of adjust valve would make, and it only happens between about 2200-2500 rpm and 3000-3400 rpm. I also seem to notice this more when there is no load on the engine than when there is heavy acceleration or engine braking happening. In other words, when the engine is "floating" around these rpm ranges, it is more noticeable. I only have 3,000 miles on the bike and don't know if this normal for these motors or not.

I have cruised so many threads about the tickers and other valvetrain noises that I'm not sure that this is a ticker, and am doing everything I can to doubt that. It's not far enough along in the engine life, nor is it bad enough to assume that it is a ticker. I would, however appreciate your 2 cents about what this is, as I ran an 86 concours for 60,000 miles and had to adjust valves every 7k miles (so glad I never have to do that again) just to keep it happy and didn't ever notice a sound like this.

I would, however appreciate your 2 cents about what this is, as I ran an 86 concours for 60,000 miles and had to adjust valves every 7k miles (so glad I never have to do that again) just to keep it happy and didn't ever notice a sound like this.
Same questions as before....still need to know the answers to give an opinion. Metallic sound, which cylinders, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would, however appreciate your 2 cents about what this is, as I ran an 86 concours for 60,000 miles and had to adjust valves every 7k miles (so glad I never have to do that again) just to keep it happy and didn't ever notice a sound like this.
Same questions as before....still need to know the answers to give an opinion. Metallic sound, which cylinders, etc.
I'll check tomorrow. Thanks for the reply.

"It sounds to my ears like the same sound an out of adjust valve would make, and it only happens between about 2200-2500 rpm and 3000-3400 rpm. I also seem to notice this more when there is no load on the engine than when there is heavy acceleration or engine braking happening. In other words, when the engine is "floating" around these rpm ranges, it is more noticeable. "

This is exactly what my '05 Ticker did and when it did it - most noticeable in 3rd gear at low rpm and load speeds. All the noise was on the left side of the engine because it turned out to be the #2 cylinder exhaust valve guide that was worn.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awe man that sucks...
I think the problem might be that you haven't ridden it enough ;)

Out of curiosity, did you remove the PCIII before you took it to your dealer? I've heard good things from the Yamaha dealer in Beechmont which would be about as close to you as one is (maybe that's where you took it?), but I've never actually used them or bought from them.

I can tell you Middletown blows, as does the one in Fairfield.

Keep us posted.
I new I would hear this! Tis true I have put more hours on my KTM this year! I did not remove the PCIII but I did tell them I had it installed.

I purchased the '03 from Beechmont, however, I took the '06 to Richwood Powersports since I work about 1 mile from there.

It sounds exactly like a vavle tick, so I took it to my local dealership...mistake.
When you say it sounds like a "valve tick" what do you mean? The tick, tick, tick of valves that's fairly common and not an issue on FJRs derived from the Genesis head? Or the metallic sound of premature valve guide wear that's like steak knives dropping on a metal table that nobody has reported on a single '06 or '07 to date, but is common on the '05s and earlier?

Coming from cylinder #1 or #2.....or from the other side at #3 and #4?
It is more of a tick, tick, tick sound and not metallic. Sounds like it is coming from cylinder #1 and #2.

Thanks for replying...

I had a chance to explore the sound a little more carefully this morning. I won't be able to get any actual "shop time" for a couple of weeks because of other things in my schedule so I didn't lift the tank, but did pay more attention to Iggy's questions. It is coming from the left side of the engine, although it is also easy to hear from in front of the gas tank (top of engine). It still sounds like a loose valve (metallic), although it has more of a distinct "short" sound. It doesn't sound sloppy, just like a very clean tick (hate using that word at this point).

Man, do I hope that this isn't "the tick" as I've put more time and money into farkling and tuning this bike than I want to remember if I need to make a different choice on a motorcycle. I'm not into engine problems at 3k miles on a $12,000 bike. I can't even bring myself to let the dealer do the speedo recall as I don't trust them to tear the front of my bike apart. Sorry for the negativity. Just venting a bit. I really do love riding this bike.

Thanks in advance for ideas.

but did pay more attention to Iggy's questions. It is coming from the left side of the engine, although it is also easy to hear from in front of the gas tank (top of engine). It still sounds like a loose valve (metallic), although it has more of a distinct "short" sound. It doesn't sound sloppy, just like a very clean tick (hate using that word at this point).
The symptoms seem a bit mixed. "Short" tick, tick, tick isn't usually an issue and often a typical noise for many bikes that never lead to the "ticking" or premature valve guide wear. If we go back in time two years ago we had a rash of '05 bikes with sloppy sounding sewing machine type ticking, a rash a year before that, etc. We didn't get that last year with the '06s and not this year with the '07s.....so I'd still be cautiously optimistic that it's not "the tick". I personally think Yamaha "fixed" or drastically improved things with a revised valve seal. I'd watch for oil comsumption, more pronounced noise, and if it gets worse then the way to diagnose it is to drop the header and look for oil. Alternatively, try recording the sound and posting it. Warchild can now tell a tick from a hundred feet and rough recordings.

but did pay more attention to Iggy's questions. It is coming from the left side of the engine, although it is also easy to hear from in front of the gas tank (top of engine). It still sounds like a loose valve (metallic), although it has more of a distinct "short" sound. It doesn't sound sloppy, just like a very clean tick (hate using that word at this point).
The symptoms seem a bit mixed. "Short" tick, tick, tick isn't usually an issue and often a typical noise for many bikes that never lead to the "ticking" or premature valve guide wear. If we go back in time two years ago we had a rash of '05 bikes with sloppy sounding sewing machine type ticking, a rash a year before that, etc. We didn't get that last year with the '06s and not this year with the '07s.....so I'd still be cautiously optimistic that it's not "the tick". I personally think Yamaha "fixed" or drastically improved things with a revised valve seal. I'd watch for oil comsumption, more pronounced noise, and if it gets worse then the way to diagnose it is to drop the header and look for oil. Alternatively, try recording the sound and posting it. Warchild can now tell a tick from a hundred feet and rough recordings.
Thanks for all suggestions. I'm on the same page with putting a few more miles on and dropping the header when it's convenient. I'll also try to figure out how to make a recording and post it. Otherwise, it sounds like if I get a couple of tomato cans and about 1700 miles of string, Warchild will have all he needs to provide diagnosis!!

I just got back from the local dealership because, quite frankly, I wanted to bitch at them for their previous response. I spoke to the mechanic and he wants me to drop the bike off again. Fool me once...

I will try to record and post as well...if not tonight then this weekend because I have to run to Canada for 2 days...

I just got back from the local dealership because, quite frankly, I wanted to bitch at them for their previous response. I spoke to the mechanic and he wants me to drop the bike off again. Fool me once...
I will try to record and post as well...if not tonight then this weekend because I have to run to Canada for 2 days...
I'm interested in hearing what you end up with. I'll keep an eye (ear) on mine and now that riding season is in full swing here, will be putting more miles on.

I thought mine was doing that around the same milage, but determined I was being paranoid after reading all the "tick" threads. I've got 11,500 on my 06 and no longer hear it (or just don't notice it anymore) Maybe the valves need time to seat properly?

Mine makes a faint ticking sound around the 2500-3500 RPM range when off throttle... I figured it's juts a little valve noise, but nothing major.

rich,

i would avoid beechmont motorsports like the plague. i've only dealt with them once, for my 600 mile service.

i have no info good or bad on richwood, altho i've heard they offered good prices on bikes.

i'm likely going to take my fjr to western hills yamaha for the T/B synch since b/mont m/s said it wasn't necessary (despite it being in the owner's manual for the 600 mile service).

have you heard of holeshot motorsports, in wilder? gary's a great mechanic there, silver star yamaha mechanic or something like that. he used to be at richwood, i believe, he's been with holeshot for 2 or 3 years. i know, he's not/they're not a dealership re: the warranty work, but you might want to bring the fjr by his place. they're just off route 9 in wilder, where it sort of changes into the AA highway. they're in a little strip lot behind a big ice place. tell gary i sent you, dean the fj guy. i trust him with anything i can't do or my m/c friends can't do. even tho he's been away from the dealership service business for a couple or so years, he's still familiar with the fjr tick.

hth,

dn

rich,
i would avoid beechmont motorsports like the plague. i've only dealt with them once, for my 600 mile service.

i have no info good or bad on richwood, altho i've heard they offered good prices on bikes.

i'm likely going to take my fjr to western hills yamaha for the T/B synch since b/mont m/s said it wasn't necessary (despite it being in the owner's manual for the 600 mile service).

have you heard of holeshot motorsports, in wilder? gary's a great mechanic there, silver star yamaha mechanic or something like that. he used to be at richwood, i believe, he's been with holeshot for 2 or 3 years. i know, he's not/they're not a dealership re: the warranty work, but you might want to bring the fjr by his place. they're just off route 9 in wilder, where it sort of changes into the AA highway. they're in a little strip lot behind a big ice place. tell gary i sent you, dean the fj guy. i trust him with anything i can't do or my m/c friends can't do. even tho he's been away from the dealership service business for a couple or so years, he's still familiar with the fjr tick.

hth,

dn
Thanks Dean. It's funny you mention Holeshot (btw, I live off the AA) because I had thought about stopping down there and letting him listen to the bike to make sure I'm not being too paranoid. Since I have an '03 I constantly compare the two and since it has never made any noises like this...well maybe it's just the nature of the beast.

I will still try to record/post when I get home so that others can listen and give their input.

Rich

rich,

dn
Well that means that there are exactly (0) decent Yamaha dealers round here :( That's sad.

Dean, you do not need to pay anyone for a TBS. It's 15 minute job, let me know when you want to get together and get it done. :)

-MD