06 coolant flush PIA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogambo

Reaction score
I did a number of different searches on this, but nothing came up with satisfactory info. Has anybody else noticed what a PIA doing a coolant change on the 06 FJR is. I'm no mechanical wizard, but damn, I can't even find where the reservoir drain is! Doing the FJR "blowjob" on the 04 was a piece of cake. I'm a bit stymied on how to do this with the 06. I even have the shop manual. Anybody have any tips on what the dealio is on this?

Pages 3-25, 26, 27 provide all the details you should need. You have to remove the coolant reservoir and dump the coolant.

Doing the blow job is not worth anything. Just drain the old coolant and put in new coolant.

Thanks Mesh. I re-looked. Not as much of a pain in the ass as I originally thought. Still a pain,but not as bad. They just moved my cheese and I didn't want to adapt.

So thie FJR "blowjob" doesn't do squat, aye? So I used to go through all of that for nothing? Gheez, and I thought I was doing something really healthy for the bike. L A L

Jestal commented about the value of attempting to get all the old coolant out before putting new coolant in. He said it wasn't worth the trouble. In fact after all the gymnastics you could likely end up with coolant in the system that was more than 50% distilled water.

So his final comment was don't bother with flushing out the system. Just drain all the coolant the way the manual suggests and then put in new coolant.

Jestal commented about the value of attempting to get all the old coolant out before putting new coolant in. He said it wasn't worth the trouble. In fact after all the gymnastics you could likely end up with coolant in the system that was more than 50% distilled water.
So his final comment was don't bother with flushing out the system. Just drain all the coolant the way the manual suggests and then put in new coolant.
O.K. I'm in the middle of a coolant flush (fjr.tech "blowjob") and read the above comment. I can see the logic, but one of the steps in the "blowjob" is to flush the distilled water with coolant (step 11), and then replace with a second round of coolant at the correct concentration. Maybe overkill, but for a once every 12 month service, maybe justified. BTW, my 24 month old, 11,000 mile coolant came out looking like new, so I'm thinking I came in under the wire.

If a revised work instruction is warranted, maybe fjr.tech could reference Jestal's observations/concerns with some data. Otherwise, I'm sticking with Warchild's method. Comments?

It's very easy to "over-maintenance" these toys. If you want to spend half your time maintaining the toy and the other half riding it then more power to you.

It's very easy to "over-maintenance" these toys.
I agree. There's way too much gospel thrown around on these forums about the need to do much more intensive or much more frequent service than is recommended by Yamaha without a shred of supporting data that it is at all necessary.

I just did the coolant change an it was simple. I removed the panel covering the cap, removed the cap, drained the system at the water pump, and did three or four flush cycles with garden hose water until the system ran completely clear. Then put in about 2.5 qts of the Honda pre-mixed coolant, drained and refilled the recover tank, and was done. 30 minutes or so. I'm completely confident that if I do this every year (or even every two years), that I won't have any issues with the cooling system.

- Mark

I just had my 04 in to the yamaha shop (family dealer selling nothing but Yamaha since the early 70s) for the throttle position censor that was recalled, and the head wrench meister told me not to worry about changing the coolant until 30,000 miles. this is what my subaru dealer told me about my car as well. I have been told this by other long time bike mechanics as well. they have a test kit to check the quality of the coolant and it is fine for this long. VT

Finished the coolant swap and filled the overflow tank about 1/2 full. I'll watch it the next few times I ride and see if it needs any more or less in the overflow. vtcornercarver, did you have your coolant checked using the test you described while you were at the dealer? What does it measure; glycol concentration or additive concentration? Maybe every two years is overkill, but the shop manual calls out a change at 24 months, and this May was 24 months for me (or 16,000 miles).

Also, since all the plastic was off, raised the tank did the throttle spring one turn unwind thing and boy, what that easy! I could have done it in the parking lot at SFO if I had know it was this easy. I unbolted both the front and rear bolts on the tank, slid it back and the spring is easy to see and to get to with a screwdriver or hemostat as some have done. Ten minute job, and I'm already sure it will be a big improvement.

Didn't get to the clutch or brake bleed, but maybe next weekend. Time to boil some crawfish and drink a few beers!

I believe the way you test your coolant to see what degree it will take before it freezes is

Specific Gravity tells your at what temp your coolant will freeze.

50/50 mix maybe to 0 degrees F

Coolant does not wear out only gets thinned out. that is why you need to check it. To bring it back to what is needed for protection for your bike in your area just add coolant and check with a hydrometer that is made for coolant.

As far as Yahamas recomendations, remember they are in the business to sell products, and they do not care how or who to.

weekend rider :) :D

It's very easy to "over-maintenance" these toys. If you want to spend half your time maintaining the toy and the other half riding it then more power to you.

I hear ya'!!!

The FJR is NOT a Space Schuttle - if you do ALL the maintenance like the service manual calls for, you'll never ride the thing. Three months wiil be up and - whoops - time for an oil change!! :blink:

Scenario 1 of talking to a dealer....

Dealer: Mr. Ignacio, did you follow the maintenance schedule?

Me: Yep, here's my copy of my records including my coolant flushes.

Dealer: Great. No problem at all with warranty then.

:yahoo:

Scenario 2 of talking to your dealer....

Dealer: Mr. Ignacio, did you follow the maintenance schedule?

Me: Kinda. I read on the Internet from some anonymous people that I didn't have to change my coolant so much....to ignore the manual on the coolant. It must be true if it was on the Internet. They really claimed they knew what they were talking about.

Dealer: Well, we'll see what Yamaha says about warranty. This could be painful.

:blink:

....Yes, there are extremes between this scenarios, but if I ever have an issue I would prefer to be closer to #1 than #2.

As usual.......Individual Results May Vary

Dear Mr. Yahama when was the last time you had an engine failure or problem with coolant not being chaned at recomended intervals??

A--None what so ever, the problem that we encountered was the company that designed the coolant got the formula wrong sir that has been the only problem, result engine failure. Not the customers fault yes sir. That is what I thought

Or parts have been designed that do not co-incide with the workability of the coolant that was designed for the cooling system.

They only Recomend weekend rider :clapping: :) :D

...well, the opinions on this subject are quite varied as usual. For sure there is common ground in the middle. As far as changing coolant on the FJR (both gens), it`s quite easy. However, I have always found, either on cars or mocycles, it`s a messy job...but ya know what....good for seals and pumps and things! It seems the ph factor has been lost on many around here. As the coolant ages, it becomes acidic...that can`t be good. While I don`t go by the book (every 2 years), I always replace the facory gel after 3yrs, with the 5 year stuff. Never had a leak or failure of any kind, although, my ole `04 scared the hell out of me for heat. Still, a consistent and timely maintenance program pays dividends: RELIABILITY and PEACE OF MIND! :ph34r:

Dear Mr. Yahama when was the last time you had an engine failure or problem with coolant not being chaned at recomended intervals??
About 20 years ago......before I knew better. I bought a Toyota that hadn't had the coolant changed in who knows how long before I owned it....and I didn't change it in the 2 years I drove it. Head gasket failure and a call to Dad. The head was so full of scale, corroded, thin in spots that I had to junk the car because of it. Aluminum and acidic coolant don't work so well together.

One of the reasons I try and stick closer to a maintenance schedule now. Unless you're actually checking the pH of the coolant...you roll the dice and move your mice.