'07 forks very harsh. Anyone found good settings?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EffBee

Reaction score
Now that I have a Wilbers shock on my '07 (courtesy of my late friend Marcel), the improvement in the rear is incredible. But all that has done is accentuate how lousy the stock setup is up front.

I'm sure GP suspension could make it ride beautifully, but before I go to that expense, has anyone found some good settings for the damping, perhaps a different fork oil viscocity, and a different oil level setting? This would be for the '06 as well as the '07.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are your current settings, er, set at?
you know, the matching Wilburs front fork springs are really not expensive at all, especially when compared to the rear shock. Get some.
The settings are stock. I haven't started playing with it, but if someone has some settings that work for them, and which I could use as a starting point, it would be helpful.

As for the Wilbers fork springs, I have those as well. The harshness is likely from the damping settings or from too heavy an oil. Again, a little advice on a set of starter settings would be appreciated.

Where are your current settings, er, set at?
you know, the matching Wilburs front fork springs are really not expensive at all, especially when compared to the rear shock. Get some.
The settings are stock. I haven't started playing with it, but if someone has some settings that work for them, and which I could use as a starting point, it would be helpful.

As for the Wilbers fork springs, I have those as well. The harshness is likely from the damping settings or from too heavy an oil. Again, a little advice on a set of starter settings would be appreciated.
Decrease compression and preload until you find what you like. Easy to do once you play with the settings. I would take one ring off preload and back compression (lower screw on fork) off 2 or three clicks (counterclockwise) and see if you like it.

Why try to dial in your suspension with only half being done and the rest still waiting.

Get the front done then set your bike up to perform as you would like. Other wise you will have to do it again when you renew your front.

JUst a tip, the first thing you need is a pencil and paper, so you can write down your start point on your suspnsion. Next ;only make one chang at a time and record it, then you can tweak both of them

but still one at a time and record . Now you have your setting and your reference points for your bike.

When you start your set up either crank the settings all in or all the way out or set them in the middle and that will be your starting point and just adjust until you get what you want. Remember only change one setting at a time , when working on the rear than change one setting when working on the front and record on paper. Hooe this helps weekend rider :D

The suspension fluid (fork oil) you use makes a big difference. When I installed my Wilbers I changed to a different fork oil and found that the fork worked much better after I added a couple of clicks to the damping. Lots of variables here when you consider the three adjustments on the fork, the fork oil, and the tire. For me it is a mater of trial and error to get it just right. And then everything changes with mileage and age.