Buzz/Whine/Vibration-My '07 Has it All!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrh1230

Reaction score
Ok, I am a newbie and I've searched the forum for references to whining, buzzing, and general vibration. I've seen posts concerning only buzzing (TBS), and others concerning only whining noises (straight-cut gearing and/or insufficient final drive lube?)

I just took my new '07 out for its first run in the NC mountains today! Awesome! However, one thing that I am concerned about is that the driveline whine actually manifests itself as more than just a noise. Particularly at about 70 mph, the pegs (and to a lesser extent the bars) buzz dramatically. Think of a really large electric motor. That's what this bike reminds me of.

The obvious question is, is it normal to feel a dramatic, buzzing vibration through the pegs/bars at particular RPMS, that SEEM TO BE CAUSED BY THE FINAL DRIVE, THE TRANNY, OR BOTH? I like the NOISE of straight-cut gears but the dramatic vibration is a bit unsettling, at least until I can prove that there is no problem.

I know it sounds like the same question all over again but... B)

jrh., i have an `07 and I also benefit from 4 yrs of 1st generation ownership...let me tell ya strait, the high frequencies u feel (unless there is something seriously wrong with yer unit, which I doubt) come with the platform. It`s a resonance, from the engine, travelling through the frame. It is my personal experience that, as the bike ages, the problem lessens/you get used to it. Whine? What the hell...some people like the "turbo" sound. Always better than the neighbors complaining! :yahoo:

I experience the vibration and whine on my '07 as well. BUT, it is nothing compared to my Electraglide. You want to experience vibration and noise, then spend a day on that bike, you'll come to appreciate the FJR even more.

JRH,

My suggestion for this would be twofold:

1. TBS performed by a competent technician.

2. Re-torque the engine mount bolts on the left and right sides. Loosen both, then torque the left first, right second.

Let us know how it works out.

I experience the vibration and whine on my '07 as well. BUT, it is nothing compared to my Electraglide. You want to experience vibration and noise, then spend a day on that bike, you'll come to appreciate the FJR even more.
Actually, I have a Dyna Street Bob as well as the FJR. The Dyna vibrates but it is not terribly annoying and of course it is a VERY different type of vibration. Never ridden a Glide but I had a rubber-mounted Sportster and R1150R.

The R bike had a 70 mph buzz similar to the FJR but it was much milder and was still not the same since it didn't feel like the driveline causing the buzzing.

JRH,
My suggestion for this would be twofold:

1. TBS performed by a competent technician.

2. Re-torque the engine mount bolts on the left and right sides. Loosen both, then torque the left first, right second.

Let us know how it works out.

Sounds like a plan. I have the service manual now and I can do the re-torque on the bolts first.

Not related to the buzzing, but do the '07's whistle through the windshield at speed like the '06's?

A great deal of engine buzz goes away with the PC III. It appears the extra lean running that is the source is cured with a littlr more fuel. Some that us a "smoothness map" report absolutely NO buzz. I can't say the same for my map but it is so close I don't care.

I just did the barbarian jumper mod and synced the TB's on my 06AE. It only had 600 miles on it, but it made a would of difference.

Latest posts